Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Sports Talk << Prev Page of 244 Next >>
Topic: The Squared Circle Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I had the Horseman (the Sid version), The Steiners, Sting and Luger. I didn't really play with them but Barry Windham was my favorite figure out of the group.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

All good, but not movable at all! I mean, that Lex Luger figure I shared, you could hardly get him to bodyslam another figure. ;-)

Action figures have definitely improved as far as mobility is concerned. And they look better, too. I remember a Batman with oversized attire on. And as for wrestling, good for posing, but not much else.

Nowadays, well I might have my Rocky Balboa figure and a wrestling figure lock up. I may even share a picture here...

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Why make a Scott Steiner who you can't position for a Frankensteiner??? The only good thing about those figures was that you could set them on a shelf and they would look cool. Ironically, the only wrestling figures that I ever bought in my youth. My friend had the WWF ones that were big and a good bit more flexible and could take a beating but their paint came off rather easily.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I had most of the original LJN WWF figures, which couldn't be moved at all. I do remember Ricky Steamboat's hand was frozen in a good position for him to do The Claw, though - not that a do-gooder like Ricky Steamboat ever won a match in my Federation!

(Also, the belts from those figures fit around the waist of Masters of the Universe toys as well, so there was some intergalactic wrestling going on too. Mer Man was a helluva champion!)

Edited by John Popa on 26 March 2018 at 8:38am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

You are brilliant, John. MOTU figures winning wrestling belts? Perfect!

I had El Gigante, but there wasn't much you could do with him:

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2018 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Wow, I didn't even know that they made El Gigante!

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2018 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Wrestling legend Vader underwent open heart surgery today in Dallas... the operation was a success, but at the same time, worse than expected as he has a long road to recovery ahead of him.

Big Van Vader personified the term "monster heel"., especially in Japan. I'll never forget the first time I saw him do a moonsault... he is a true legend in every sense of the word. Hopefully he'll be accepting his spot in the WWE HoF soon.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2018 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

He produced heated, hard-hitting and unpredictable matches. I never saw him have the same match twice.

Loved his WCW work. 

It's a shame the WWF failed to capitalise on his popularity. I do NOT think that was a conspiracy - they certainly pushed him - but it's hard to think they didn't do as well with him as WCW did.

I did enjoy his 1997 PPV match with Ken Shamrock.

He is a legend.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2018 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Oh, with regards to figures. I wanted to be creative. I don't have a ring. Just a microwave. But here's Ultimate Warrior, knocked out by Clubber Lang:

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2018 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Vader should be in the Hall of Fame for sure. I never understood why Vince didn't 'get' him, he seemed like the perfect fit for WWF - a monster heel who could crush guys like Shawn and Bret until the inevitable blow-off where he'd take the loss or who could wreak havoc until Undertaker showed up to stop him for good.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I never felt that the WWF made good use of Vader because they were still treating characters like cartoon characters at the time. Vader was more a supervillain than a guy who had an international reputation as a mauler. I thought he was used much better in WCW and I LOVED Harley Race as his manager. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2018 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Look at this:

It was a bloated card. Also, and KING OF THE RING was often the same, they missed an opportunity to have face vs face and heel vs heel bouts.

it did happen (one example is Bret Hart and Mr. Perfect, then both faces, battling at KOTR '93), but they should have done it. 

WM IV is an incredibly hard event to sit through. It felt like one was simply passing the time until the main event.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2018 at 4:39am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2018 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Worth a read:

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2018 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

My Wrestlemania Predictions Which Will Often Be Wrong:

Andre the Giant Battle Royal - Man, this is a big list of jabronis. No idea who wins, maybe give Kane a send-off.  Kane it is.  PREDICTION: KANE

Women's Not Fabulous Moolah Battle Royal - No idea, also don't really care.  PREDICTION: I DON'T PAY ATTENTION

Whatever Cruiserweight match there is too - no idea. PREDICTION: I'M STILL NOT PAYING ATTENTION AT THIS POINT

So that's the pre-show.

Main show (in the order I wrote them down which probably isn't the order of events.)

USO vs. BLUDGEON BROTHERS vs. NEW DAY: Usos and New Day are both played out, so I'll go with the Bludgeon Brothers, who are great and who could have fresher feuds with both teams going forward. PREDICTION: BLUDGEON BROTHERS

THE BAR vs. STROWMAN/MYSTERY GUEST: Word is the mystery guest could be Rey Mysterio or someone returning from injury like Jeff Hardy.  Regardless, I'd guess Strowman and his guy win, my only hope is they don't just squash The Bar along the way. PREDICTION: STROWMAN/MYSTERY PARTNER

ALEXA BLISS vs. NIA JAX : To me, Bliss is the most over woman on either roster and a great heel.  I don't see her winning but I think she'll get the title back soon.  They could also turn her as Jax feuds with whichever thus far ineffective women's faction is on Raw.  PREDICTION: NIA JAX

RANDY ORTON VS RUSEV VS BOBBY ROODE VS JINDER MAHAL: This was more useful when it was still Roode vs. Orton, assuming Orton was going to put Roode over.  As it stands, Roode's dead in the water as a face, Orton's dead in the water no matter what he does, Mahal's been dead in the water since he decided to become a pro wrestler and Rusev's way over but no one in power seems to care.  PREDICTION: ROODE.

CENA VS TAKER: Whatever this is going to be.  An actual match? Just a brawl?  A set up for next year?  Cena takes a tombstone and Taker goes home?  Regardless, every outcome is Cena losing. PREDICTION: UNDERTAKER

MIZ VS SETH VS BALOR: Miz is an awesome heel, Rollins is the chosen one and Balor is great. My guess is Miz might be turning so him losing doesn't matter, Rollins and Balor are kind of at the same level.  When in doubt, go with the chosen one.  PREDICTION: SETH ROLLINS

RONDA ROUSEY AND KURT ANGLE VS. HHH AND STEPHANIE MCMAHON.  The only question is how vain will Stephanie be in making Rousey sell for her.  Hopefully, just enough (and through nefarious means) that we know Rousey would kill Steph if she didn't cheat or if HHH didn't do her dirty work for her.  PREDICTION: ROUSEY and ANGLE.

ASUKA VS. CHARLOTTE FLAIR: Should be a good match.  Neither will really be hurt by losing but it's probably time for Asuka to get beat.  PREDICTION: FLAIR

DANIEL BRYAN AND SHANE MCMAHON VS. ZAYN AND OWENS.  This is going to be all angle, I imagine.  The stipluation that Zayn and Owens are fired if they lose is stupid and it seems to say that Shane is going to turn on Bryan so the heels can win.

AJ STYLES vs. NAKAMURA: Who wins isn't as important as how good the match is - people are expecting a Match of the Year, which both guys can do and came close to doing in their one big match in Japan. I don't think Nakamura's the guy, but he's absolutely the right guy in this match. PREDICTION: STYLES.

REIGNS VS. LESNAR.  Crowd will shit on it even though it will probably be decent.  PREDICTION: REIGNS.

Edited by John Popa on 06 April 2018 at 8:01pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2018 at 11:29pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

My predictions:

Baron Corbin and Sasha Banks win the Battle Royals. Have no vested interest in either match, so I just picked two from the lists of already announced entrants. 

Mustafa Ali wins the Cruiserweight championship. Predicting that because I want Cedric Alexander to win.

Bludgeon Brothers win, but it's a member of A New Day who takes the fall.

Strowman and mystery partner win. I think it'll be Big Show.

Nia Jax beats Alexa Bliss, and the crowd goes mild. (Bliss is an incredible heel, but she's too cute to stay one.)

Randy Orton retains, going over Jinder Mahal. Personally, I'd rather see Rusev or Roode win. In that order.

If a Cena-Undertaker match happens, Undertaker wins. It would be stupid to have Undertaker lose at Wrestlemania again this soon.

Miz retains. Balor takes the fall.

Rousey and Angle win. Possibly with Rousey actually pinning or submitting Triple H.

Asuka wins. Why have Asuka have a winning streak only to lose a title match at the biggest show of the year. (Will be shenanigans involved if Charlotte wins.)

Daniel Bryan and Shane McMahon win. Shane teased a turn, but it doesn't happen, and Zayn and Owens switch brands.

Styles wins, in the possible match of the night.

Reigns wins. This is an absolute lock. Crowd shits all over it, but the WWE will probably have cheers queued up to pipe in....or will edit them into the DVD and Blu-Ray releases.

Reigns-Lesnar is a lose-lose, for me. I am sick of Lesnar as champ, but don't want Reigns with the belt, either. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2018 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

How long is WM this year? Seven hours? Nine hours? Do I need a catheter?

Less really would be more. And to think I thought four hours was excessive when WM IV did it...

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2018 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

7 hours is the plan but technically the first 2 hours are pre-show.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2018 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Then I still require a catheter, yes? ;-) 

Too much, dude, too much! 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2018 at 12:44am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Yeah, but if he shows, about 2 and a half hours of it will be the Undertaker's entrance. So set an alarm and go take a nap. :)

Seriously, though, it is too long. 6 hours is pushing it.

I won't be watching it. I don't get the WWE Network or order PPVs, don't know of anyone whose house I can go to watch, and am only interested in about 3 of the matches. 4, if Cena-Taker actually happens. 

For the record, Asuka vs. Charlotte, Rousey and Angle vs. Stephanie and HHH, and Daniel Bryan and Shane vs. Owens and Zayn. I'm on the fence regarding Miz vs. Rollins vs. Balor. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2018 at 5:26am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Seriously, though, it is too long. 6 hours is pushing it.

Less is more - with everything.

If I was having steak five times a week, I'd get sick of it. I had a lack of interest in Superman comics when there were five books (90s). 

I like the TV series THE FLASH. But if the CW announced it'd run 52 weeks of the year, and each episode would be three hours long, I'd say, fuck off!

Three hours was perfect for WrestleMania. And in the 90s, we had the "Free For All" (30 minutes). 

It's not just me who thinks it. A drinking buddy of mine tells me that he has zero interest in WrestleMania because of its length. With WWE, though, less will never be more.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2018 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

It's funny because the NXT Takeover shows the night before these endless PPV shows are usually a little less than 3 hours and are tight shows with great audiences and all the performers come out looking better than they did coming in.

Last night's show, by the way, was spectacular.  

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2018 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Anyone remember this guy?

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2018 at 12:41am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Read the Wrestlemania results, and...

UGH!!

I'm happy with most of the match results (not the two women's matches or the Intercontinental or United States championship matches!), but some of the booking seemed idiotic. Especially Strowman's `partner'.

I heard the WWE Universal match was bad, and the crowd was already dead way before it happened.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 09 April 2018 at 12:45am

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2018 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Most of the booking was logical based on the build-up. Well, not the US Title match but it's not like that title matters. Still, Mahal is probably the least over guy on the roster. Roode needs to turn heel, though, he's pretty boring right now. He'd be good in a faction, really.

Basically the show was way too long and the crowd died during the Daniel Bryan match. They were excited when he came out but since he wasn't involved in the beginning of the match, the crowd didn't care and after so long, they stopped caring about everything else.

The Strowman thing is probably the biggest WTF moment in WWE history - and that's covering a lot of territory. Suddenly The Gobbledy Gooker looks like a good idea.

The Universal title match wasn't necessarily bad but the crowd shit on it from the moment it came up. It was built around Reigns kicking out of the F5, which no one has been able to do for a year. But no one cared. And he kicked out of another. And no one cared. And another. And no one cared. Then he got busted open. And no one cared. Then he lost. And no one cared.

Styles and Nakamura had a good, slow-paced physical match ... but I'm not sure it's what people wanted. WWE fans are trained to pop and it was a match that didn't have a lot of that. It was well done but since the company spent so much time hyping a 'dream match,' it probably wasn't the right match for this show.

Cena/Taker was a joke. A complete squash. The only good part was Elias coming out first and getting real heat. If Taker couldn't go there were a lot of other things Cena could have done. If that's what they wanted to do, it almost would have been better to not announce Taker at all, and made Cena's opponent a mystery. In that case, the people probably wouldn't have cared if it was a 3 minute match, because they would have been shitting themselves seeing Taker.

Everything about the Rousey/Angle/HHH/Steph match worked. It maybe went a couple minutes too long and Steph shouldn't have survived at all in the arm bar but, really, it made Rousey look like a star. I'm really not sure what they do with her next, though.

Asuka and Charlotte was a better wrestling match but Bliss and Jax had a better angle. Jax still isn't any good, though.

The Bludgeon Brothers basically killed the Usos and New Day, which is fine. They can get a lot of matches out of those 3 teams. In the long run, though, they need some real long term tag teams.

All in all, the show was painfully long to sit through - I considered going to bed before the main event, to be honest. There were no really great matches, except maybe the Rousey match. Balor/Rollins/Miz was really good but not anything we haven't seen a thousand times before.

Nothing on Mania was close to the top three matches on the Takeover show the night before.

<< Prev Page of 244 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |