Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Sports Talk << Prev Page of 242
Topic: The Squared Circle Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2018 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Definitely didn't see Lesnar winning.... but I echo your comments, John.

Really wish Taker would retire already. Rousey performed better than I expected... looking forward to where she goes from here.

For those that miss NXT Takeover... catch it. FANTASTIC card from beginning to end. (Gargano vs. Ciampa... WOW!)

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2018 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Meltzer told an interesting story about Asuka - basically when it was for sure that they were getting Rousey the agents told Asuka to use the armbar as much as possible, in every match. Then, a couple weeks ago, they told her to stop using it all together. So I guess that hints as to what the plan was for her vs. what it is.

I'm not sure what Rousey's schedule is (if she's full-time or not) but it seems like having her work with someone like Natalya on the road for a couple months would help her get better, before putting her in a big match at SummerSlam against Charlotte or Asuka.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2018 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Regarding Nia Jax, I've heard that she was brought up from NXT too early, that she works clumsy and its surprising she hasn't hurt someone yet.

If anyone needs to turn heel besides Roode, it's Reigns. The crowd is going to crap over him no matter what because he's being forced down the fans' throats, and a heel turn did work for Rocky... I mean The Rock.

But Reigns doesn't have the mic skills or charisma of The Rock, so I'm not sure what would really help get him over. If he hadn't injured Sting, I'd say Rollins deserves the push that Reigns is getting.

Glenn Jacobs is running for Knox County mayor here, and the election is May 1st. (And no, I'm not voting for him) So that battle royale could have been Kane's last PPV match.

Funny thing is, I've seen campaign signs all over the place, and there's someone whose last name actually is Kane running for county clerk. Their sign doesn't have their first name on it, so to wrestling fans, it looks like Jacobs might be running for two different jobs.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2018 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Former WWWF World Heavyweight Champion and WWE Hall Of Famer Bruno Sammartino has passed away at the age of 82. Sammartino was hospitalized this week in Pittsburgh.

Condolences to Sammartiniís friends, fans and family.

-C!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2018 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Condolences to those in his life.

Sad news.

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Paul Jones has passed away, too.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Sammartino is, of course, the foundation of the entire WWE/WWWF/WWF. Without him, who knows what wrestling in the US would look like today. A sad loss for sure.

Paul Jones was a huge deal in Mid Atlantic wrestling and was a frequent partner and adversary of my favorite wrestler The Masked Superstar. In that territory, he was a huge name and a main eventer for a long time.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2018 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Who knew that, circa early 1992, Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage had taken on the Berzerker and Jake Roberts?

That Piper/Savage/Hacksaw VS Jake/Flair/Undertaker bout sounds intriguing! 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2018 at 11:53pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq0WUudJiSM&t=0s&ind ex=40&list=WL - WOOOO!!!

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Man, normally after 'Mania and a 'superstar shakeup' I'd be excited about what's coming next for WWE but, at this point, both rosters seem completely stale and moving a couple folks around didn't really change that. They have so much talent, though - it's endlessly frustrating that the product is so dull.

Maybe I'll find one of those emulators where I can book the fed myself :)

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

John, I haven't been excited around this time of year in a while; WWE lacks the writing to keep things interesting despite their strong roster... and it IS frustrating that the product remains so dull.

Still, we can look forward to the Greatest Royal Rumble event this Friday!

-C!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

What has dulled me is the sheer amount. Sure, I don't watch it all now, but that's precisely why I don't watch it.

Go back a few decades. You had the syndicated shows. Take out commercials and they were around 42 minutes. Some repeated matches, e.g. ACTION ZONE showed bouts that had been shown on WRESTLING CHALLENGE. So you didn't need to watch them all.

PPVs were quarterly.

PRIME TIME WRESTLING was one hour. RAW was one hour. Two hours was fine. But three? Who'd want that?

I like THE FLASH, but if the CW announced each episode would be three hours long, and on for 52 weeks of the year, I'd say fuck off!

And WrestleMania is, what, six hours or something in total now? Jeez, I wouldn't even want to have sex for six hours, never mind wrestling.

Note to the likes of WWE and USA Network: LESS IS MORE!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 3:38am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Was watching the Bret Hart/Owen Hart match from September 1994 (ACTION ZONE) again recently.

Owen Hart, with Jim Neidhart in his corner, cheated a lot. Davey Boy Smith was out there supporting Bret.

Todd Pettengil and Vince McMahon were commentating.

I stated earlier how Jesse Ventura gave a match credibility, leading us to think anything could happen. The example given was Ventura, when Zeus was strangling Hogan, saying, "Hogan could be the first eliminated!" Ventura's comments gave it credibility.

It was the same with Pettengil and McMahon. Owen was cheating a lot. And during the match, Pettengil said, with 100% conviction, something like, "Imagine Owen Hart walking out of this match with the WWF Championship!" Pettengil, delivering that with conviction, put that "seed of doubt" in our heads. You know, maybe Owen will sneak away with the WWF Title (obviously he didn't).

That's what I like about credible commentary.

Plus, it sort of had the feel of being a legitimate sport. McMahon would always call out lax officiating. In this match, one comment was, "The referee was out of position. If he'd been in position, that would have been a three-count for Bret."

All these things, when delivered with conviction, add a credibility to wrestling, one that it hasn't had, in my view, since.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 24 April 2018 at 3:39am

Mike Baswell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 6:33am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

For those interested, there's an excellent bio on Andre the Giant playing on HBO this month.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Watching Raw and even Mania Finn Balor looks completely detached to me - his work is fine but he doesn't seem really invested. Granted, he doesn't really have a storyline going on and I'm not sure there's a good one looming on the horizon either.

I don't understand why they wouldn't have moved him to Smackdown, he could feud with Nakamura and Joe, and even have a feud with Joe culminate in the annual'ish appearance of his demon persona. Then if they wanted to turn him he could easily feud with AJ and Bryan.

I guess he could feud with McIntyre/Ziggler or even a turned Bobby Roode but Smackdown feels like it would have had some bigger and better matchups for him.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Right now they don't seem to care about anything other than trying to get Roman Reigns over by shoving him down people's throats. Everything else is on the back burner.

And I hate to say it, but Reigns getting injured would be the only way anyone else is. Because that's the only way I see anyone else getting a push, when they are forced to push someone else.

(Not wishing him injured, by the way.)

Edited by Brian Floyd on 24 April 2018 at 2:17pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

The WWF has a history of stalling a push, like when Vince McMahon finally gave up with Lex Luger's main event push. Yet he persists with Roman Reigns and others. 

Luger/Reigns isn't a valid comparison, but the point I'm making is about stopping a push when someone is clearly not resonating with the fans.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

If Rollins hadn't injured people in past (pretty much ended Sting's career), he should be the one getting the push.

Just because Reigns is related to The Rock doesn't mean he's the next Rock. Doesn't help that Vince has personally been in charge of a lot of promos, but even so Reigns' mic skills are lacking. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 242
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |