Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2007 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Watcha gonna do.... etc....BROTHER!!
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2007 at 5:13am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

There are a few wrestlers attending Adventurecon today, but I don't know if I'll get any of their autographs, as I'm mainly going because John Romita Jr is attending:

Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake

Buff Bagwell

Raven

Scott Norton

They're actually having a wrestling event tomorrow, featuring Ricky Morton vs. Bobby Eaton (was originally supposed to be Morton vs. Tracey Smothers) and a bunch of other wrestlers I've never heard of besides Jeff Anderson (a local wrestler), but I'm not going.

Back to Top profile | search | email

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2007 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I wonder what Brutus Beefcake looks like today.  By the way, I always hated the Barber gimmick.  I thought him and Greg "The Hammer" Valentine were one of the best tag team tandem in the 80's.  Do you guys remember when Beefcake returned to the spotlight, all RIPPED like Mark Maguire, when NWO was going down the drain?  I forget what horrible name they gave him.  It was terrible times for NWO, Bischoff truly didn't know what he had and killed it. 

< RANT>I HATED WOLF PACK, hated to see this sleek new version of the 4 horsemen being ruined by the likes of Bischoff, Virgil, Savage, Stevie Ray? (Are you kidding me?), KONAN? (This is a fucking nightmare), the greatest bore Brett Hart, Sting, Woman, Miss Elizabeth, Lex Luger.  Probably the only member from this disgrace of members I thought was perfect was The Giant.  At the time Paul "THE BIG SHOW" White was THE next big thing: SUPER STRONG, ATHLETIC, and INCREDIBLY FAST for a man his height and weight and he's charismatic--a big A+ in my book, he fit in quite well, but unfortunately Bischoff had other plans like that Steve Austin wannabe, now sigh, like Shawn Michaels, a legend to wrestling?  Bill Goldberg.  Folks just through legend out there like if it's the F word.  < RANT>

Raven was a masterpiece of a wrestler in WCW/ECW but was reduced to a whinny brat in the WWF.

Bagwell I was never got my interest

I don't remember Scott Norton.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2007 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2007 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I've always had a crush on Medusa

John Griggs Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2007 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I forget what horrible name they gave him.  It was terrible times for NWO

The Disciple?

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 02 June 2007 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Sam, when Madusa was AWA champion I wrote her fan a fan letter. I still have the autographed picture she sent me in return. How I managed to function in society was sheer luck.

Edited by Paul Greer on 02 June 2007 at 12:22pm

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 02 June 2007 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Brian, you probably won't see this until after you went to the con. However, Raven wrote an issue of Spider-Man's Tangled Web. It was issue 14. He used his real name Scott Levy.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2007 at 5:26pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I have that issue of Tangled Web, Paul. Bought it when it came out, in fact.

The con was more or less a bust, wrestling-wise. Bagwell wasn't there (not that I care, but he's only appearing yesterday and tomorrow) and I didn't see Beefcake anywhere. However I did get to hear Jimmy Hart over the speakers doing promos for the con and see him in a ring they had set up for tomorrow night's UWA show at the con talking to some of the wrestlers there on the mic while fans watched from bleachers. (I believe he was talking to Scott Norton the last time I passed by - and yes, Norton had on an nWo shirt - but I didn't see anyone else listed in the ring except Norton; the others were probably UWA guys who are wrestling tomorrow night)

As for what  Beefcake looks like now, the most recent picture I saw was probably  a few months old, but he looked in fairly decent shape except he had a gut on him.

The con started at 10am, I was in the ticket line until around 10:30, and Raven didn't show up until a bit after 1pm, while I was well into the John Romita Jr line.

However.....

Raven passed through the line about 4 people behind me, going "excuse me excuse me coming through excuse me" loudly but somewhat politely and humorously at the same time (if you've ever seen him out of character, you'll know what I mean) and it looked like he had his wife with him.

Oh, and you do know Madusa is driving monster trucks now, right?

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2007 at 5:09am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yeah, but I rather see her wrestling.  These strippers pretending to be wrestlers are hurting women's wrestlings integrity.  They're more like clown than wrestlers.  They don't even have outfits anymore, put on the Bra and that's it.  Tummy tummy tummy.  When Sable was around it turn some effort to get her clothes off but now...  feh!  The audience doesn't even earn it anymore.

++++

The Disciple?  Geez, what a terrible name; Brutus was pretty charismatic in the old days but in his new form I don't think he even growled for the camera. 

++++

still have the autographed picture she sent me in return.

Another reason on the list of reasons why I love you, Paul.  What a gem.  Could you scan this for us fans of a true female wrestler?

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2007 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Sam, if you want to see some decent women's wrestling check out the women's fed SHIMMER, which has the likes of Sara Del Ray, Lacey and Cheerleader Melissa or tapes of Japanese women's wrestling (aka Joshi).am, if you want to see some decent women's wrestling, either check out the fed  

Richard Fisher
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2007 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Brutus was called the Disciple because he was Hogan's ...um, disciple.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 03 June 2007 at 9:56pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

It's no worse than Brother Bruti, The Zodiac or The Booty Man, three other names Beefcake used in his WCW days.

Sam I'll try to get the Madusa pic for you as soon as I can.

Louis Bright-Raven
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2007 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Sam:

When was Bret Hart ever a part of the Wolfpac? I don't remember that.  I agree that the Wolfpac NWO was lame. (I could never see Sting or Luger ever teaming up with Hall and Nash, hated the Wolfpac Sting look, and I thought they way they did the tag team championship where basically any two Wolfpac members could defend them was stupid as all get out.)

NWO in its entirety arguably should have been ended when Sting beat Hogan for the WCW world title and the characters and program should have moved on to something else. By the time they had the 'Millionaire's Club / New Breed" mess, it was far too late to save the company.

Richard Fisher
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2007 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Bret Hart joined the NWO (not the wolf pack) right when he turned bad as world champ. the members were Bret, Jeff Jarrett, Nash, Hall, Scott Steiner and the Harris twins. Their colors were silver and black. But one by one everyone got injured or left the company.

As for any member of the worlf pack (Hall, Nash Syxx) defending the tag belts, this is a very old tradition. The Russians did it (Nikita and Ivan Koloff with  Krusher Khruschev [Demolition's  Smash]) as did many other tag teams. So I had no problem with it.

Edited by Richard Fisher on 10 June 2007 at 8:40pm

Louis Bright-Raven
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2007 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Richard:

I guess I just don't remember Bret joining NWO at any time. No big.

Wolfpac was actually Hall, Nash, Sting and Luger after they kicked out Giant after Sting beat Giant in a singles match to determine who could make their own tag partner (Sting and Giant were the tag champs at that time). Syxx was gone from the company by that time as I recall. Not that any of that really matters. Yes, I know that plenty of other tag teams did it, but the thing was, they were legitimate tag teams. The Freebirds, the Russians, Demolition, etc. were all legit. Hall and Nash where their own and Sting and Luger were their own separate entities, thrown together to form a coalition (not a four man tag front) that storywise just didn't make sense, given the previous 'history' of the characters. But again, no big deal. I'm more of a pre-NWO WCW fan myself anyway.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 12:24am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Konnan and Randy Savage were also in the Wolfpac, but Savage wasn't in it for long. The Giant and Scott Hall were never members of the face version of the Wolfpac; Hall *was* a member after the whole thing turned out to be a sham and the Wolfpac started wearing black, red and white and was made up of the nWo big names.

As Richard said, Bret Hart wasn't in the real nWo - he was supposedly allied with them, but not an actual member - but  was in the nWo black and silver that was formed after the real nWo was finished. You had to know they were really reaching with  that when they had Jeff Jarrett and the Harris Brothers as members.

Louis Bright-Raven
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 12:42am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

*Shrugs* I'll take your word for it, Brian. Like I say, the NWO years after Sting beat Hogan are all one big blur to me now, and I thought the whole NWO concept was pretty lame to begin with. I was not a fan of Hogan, Hall, Nash, or most of the guys from the WWE who had come over. Bret didn't really do much and then he got injured by Goldberg. I remember certain wrestlers whom I enjoyed like Lance Storm or the guys who all jumped to WWE before the buyout (Benoit, Jericho, Guerrero), but by and large, there was very little for me to enjoy in WCW by the time of its demise and I was not a WWE fan by then, either. It took a number of years while they rebuilt the rosters and TNA came back into play that I started seeing talent I enjoyed.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 2:05am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

To me, the problem with the nWo was that it went on too long and WCW milked it for all it was worth. They really should have ended the original version several months before they actually did, and done it in a way that the nWo could have gone out in a blaze of glory instead of more or less a whimper. And they never should have done the version of Hart, Jarrett, etc.

I thought that, after the Wolfpac turned out to be a sham, it would have made sense for Sting to team up with DDP, Goldberg and several other faces to finally take them out once and for all, but WCW wanted to milk it for all it was worth, and it likely wouldn't have happened due to Hogan and Co. playing politics, anyway.

Louis Bright-Raven
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 12:15am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I think the main problem was they had no control over the booking, so they couldn't write any decent storylines. The wrestlers should never have any say over the booking. That's what the writers are for, and if the writers are doing their job well, everyone gets viable pushes as things progress.

Ron Sluyter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Dare I even bring up the VKM exploding limo trick at the end of the Raw Draft.  Is this a new low in stupidity ?  Another weak attempt to get people talking about the show ?  I haven't really watched wrestling in well over 6 months and even I could see where this was going.  Has the product fallen to the point where this type of gimmickery is needed ?  I miss 1998.

Richard Fisher
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Now I see the confusion. When I say Wolf pack I think of the originals (Nash, Hall and Syxx) which was a sub group of the NWO. When the Outsiders were champs they let any of the three wolf pack members defend the titles. (mostly due to injuries and absences)

Later there was a face Wolf pack (Nash, Savage, Sting, Luger, Konnan and initially Hennig, Rick Rude and Miss Elizabeth.) At the time of the formation of the Red and Black the Outsiders were champs and they wrestled Sting and the Giant (who was a part of NWO Hollywood, much to Sting's dismay because the match was signed before Giant defected back to the NWO.) Hall turned on Nash making them lose the titles. Sting, not wanting to tag with the Giant, had a singles match to claim sole possession of the titles. After Sting won he named Nash as his partner.

Now, maybe Sting said anybody in the Wolf pack could behis partner, but I don't remember that. They only had the titles for a little over a month (June 15 to July 20) so there couldn't have been that many matches.

At the time of the NWO split Bret Hart was teasing that he would join the NWO but he didn't. That happened over a year later with the before mentioned NWO silver and Black.

Also, wrestling storylines never make sense. How many times has Luger turned on Sting or other good guys? Yet they alway welcome him back to the face side with open arms.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Vince is dead storyline! This is WWE at is lowest. They were doing so well heading into Wrestlemania and they lost all momentum a month later.

Louis Bright-Raven
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2007 at 12:22am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Paul: Anything to get Vince off camera, preferably forever, is a good thing. Let Shane be the face of the company (er... visual representative of the company, rather, then).

Richard: As I seem to recall, Sting said that while Nash was his partner, technically any of the four of the WolfPac at that time (Sting, Nash, Luger and Konnan) could tag and defend the title. That was during one of those in the ring mic times, right after he'd won the belts from the Giant. I don't remember if it was actually implemented in a match or not, but for some reason I'm thinking Sting and Luger defended it one night because Nash wasn't available. *shrugs indifferently*

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2007 at 12:53am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Bret Hart wasn't in the real nWo - he was supposedly allied with them, but not an actual member - but  was in the nWo black and silver that was formed after the real nWo was finished.

What? 

It was truly a mess.  WCW just ran the sucker until it died.  How can anyone take Brett Hart seriously?  The WWF knew how to use him and he later looked like Bambi when he was with WCW.  Like other make believe legends like Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, and Bill Goldberg, they couldn't transition from another wrestling organization successfully.  Steve Austin was a product of the WWF stealing Sandman's repertoire and running it until his neck broke.

I know Shawn has stayed in WWE for quite a long time but where can Vince's stooge could go?  If he left the WWE he may end up like one of those gimmick fools like The RED ROOSTER! 

<< Prev Page of 222 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |