Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Music MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Music << Prev Page of 162 Next >>
Topic: The Genesis Thread Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 30 October 2015 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm very happy Phil will come out of retirement.  I hope the remastered releases remind people that he had a substantive solo career.  Like the Genesis remasters, I think this will get Phil into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Back to Top profile | search | email

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security

Negative Mod

Posted: 30 October 2015 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm definitely curious to see what his new stuff will sound like.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2016 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I am hoping to get that Face Value remaster later this month!
Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2016 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I had a listen at the remasters on Spotify and here are my impressions:

Not a lot of change.  Now, you can fairly say streaming on Spotify is not exactly listening to the remasters, especially as I don't have a premium account.  I can only defend myself saying that the Genesis remasters on Spotify are distinctly improved over my previous editions, so I would expect to notice something, if not get the whole picture.

But there isn't a lot of difference.  Some of the songs are pretty spare anyway, after all, so there was room to breathe on the originals.  Here's the biggest improvements to my ears:

• "This Must Be Love" - even better bass
  • "Droned" - the talking drums section seems a bit muted
  • "Hand in Hand" - more distinct piano and I think drum machine or odd shaker/percussion
  • Oddly enough, one of the sparser songs, "You Know What I Mean" has incredible vocals and strings
  • "Thunder and Lightning" - Daryl's guitar is a bit more prominent and the lead vocals are better.  And WOW when the handclaps come in.
  • Good strings again on "If Leaving Me Is Easy". Very lush. Always was.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2016 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think the idea for the new covers was cool.

Kevin, have you gotten to listen to any of the bonus material?

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2016 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Definitely loved the covers - loved them the first time around too.

I have checked out the bonus material but not very in-depth.  I will probably get the deluxe remasters for that second disc.

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2016 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'd read that the next remasters released toward the end of this month will be 'Hello..I Must Be Going' (from 1982) and 1996's 'Dance Into The Light'. The 2010 album 'Going Back' will have a new cover and will be different from the original release as it will have only 15 tracks on it.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 20 February 2016 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I just picked up the FACE VALUE remaster today - it sounds fantastic, and I love the bonus material.

Well worth picking up the physical copy - the booklet inside folds out into a small poster that recreates the original album's artwork. Anyone who had the original vinyl will recall that even though this was a single album, it folded out into a double spread of photos and hand-written liner notes by Phil

Great stuff!

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2016 at 8:08pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yep - when I opened that gatefold I felt I was peering into Phil's head.

Edited by Kevin Hagerman on 21 February 2016 at 8:09pm

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 06 March 2016 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I am really loving the new edition of FACE VALUE.  It's great to have some live tracks that are mixed better than what was released on B-Sides and on "Serious HIts Live" -- the new mixes sound fantastic.  I love that they kick off the second disc with "Misunderstanding".  He played this at the last show I saw on his "First Farewell Tour", and the place went nuts.

My favorite track is "..And So To F" - a Brand X track that Phil played with his solo band.  I have this on vinyl somewhere - I think it was a B-Side on the "I Don't Care Anymore" EP (remember EPs???).  It used to be on every Phil Collins mix tape I would make, but it didn't survive the switch to digital.  The remix sounds even better.

I just picked up HELLO, I MUST BE GOING! last night - just starting to make my way through the tracks.  So far, so good.  I love these first two albums.

The only downside so far -- it looks like the B-Sides are not included.  So no "Man with the Horn" from HELLO, IMUST BE GOING or "We Said Hello, Goodbye" from NO JACKET REQUIRED.   Both of those tracks that should have made the albums.  I feel lucky we got "...And So to F", though!  The bonus discs are all live tracks and demos.  Hopefully we will see a disc with B-Sides - I would hope they do a remaster of 12"ERS with all the B-Sides included.

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2016 at 7:16am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Next two album re-releases,BOTH 2cd sets i believe,are No Jacket Required (1985) and Testify (from 2002). These re-releases are making me curious to dive in and listen to his stuff,even though i was never a fan vut could always appreciate what a good songwriter he is.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2016 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

On this day in 1980 Peter Gabriel released Peter Gabriel, his third solo album.  This is the album where Phil Collins developed his gated reverb drum sound with engineer Hugh Padgham.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2016 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Whoa... 36 years ago.   My face melts at that realization.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 24 May 2016 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Collins addresses the gated reverb sound in a really interesting interview with Mark Blake at Teamrock.com

BLAKE: "There are obvious parallels between some of your songs and what Peter Gabriel was creating around the same time."

COLLINS: "There was a time when we were running parallel, yes. I think people forget that sometimes. You know what happened with Intruder [Gabriel’s 1980 song on which Collins and Hugh Padgham pioneered the ‘gated drum’ sound]? When Peter first heard that sound – we called it the ‘facehugger’ like that thing in Alien – he got off the sofa and went, “What is that?” I said, “What are you going to do with it? That’s my baby.” He said, “I’m going to use it,” and I went, “Mmmm…” [mouse-like whimper]. Then Peter rewrote Intruder to fit the drum rhythm."

BLAKE: "Did it bother you?"

COLLINS: "Well, I said, “Can I at least have a credit?” – which he gave me, a little begrudgingly, I think. What isn’t so well known is that I played drums in Peter’s band around this time because he couldn’t afford the American band. But I loved what Peter did. It was great fun. I remember spending a day playing I Don’t Remember. I loved that hook – “Ding‑ding-ding…” I said to Peter, “Why aren’t you playing that?” He said [impersonates Gabriel’s voice] “I don’t want to do that.” Peter would do things like that – like he was putting a tripwire in front of himself."

BLAKE: "Was not letting drummers use cymbals on the album one of those tripwires?"

COLLINS: "“Nothing metal” was the way he described it. “I don’t want any metal on this album, Phil.” I was okay with it, but I didn’t know what to do with my left hand."

BLAKE: "Isn’t it a bit annoying that Gabriel gets all the kudos and you don’t?"

COLLINS: "We were different animals. I was just trying to write the best songs I could, but you’re right, Peter got all the credibility… and I got the money! Ha. I’ve never said that before, but that does sum it up."

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-02-26/a-genesis-reunion-phi l-collins-most-revealing-interview-yet

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2016 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Well, Fall approaches, and that means I'll be spinning a lot of Wind & Wuthering and ...And Then There Were Three...

But frst another pass at Duke to put the summer to bed.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2016 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Anyone else planning to get Phil's memoir?

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2017 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

A Genesis fan festival in Duluth, Minnesota!

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2017 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Happy Birthday to Phil Collins!

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 30 January 2017 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Happy Birthday, Phil!

I thought his memoir was a wonderful read - highly recommended. Great to see him back in action, and I hope he will get back to recording new music.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 1:50am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

http://www.prog-sphere.com/specials/genesis-albums-ranked/

Man, they dumped on Abacab, Calling All Stations, and We Can't Dance, placing them below From Genesis to Revelation, which doesn't have a single song I can stand.  And this is a PROG magazine!

Fine, I'll play.  From favorite to least (not including the first album):

1. Selling England by the Pound
  2. Duke
  3. Abacab
  4. Foxtrot
  5. A Trick of the Tail
  6. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
  7. Invisible Touch
  8. Nursery Cryme
  9. Genesis
  10. Wind & Wuthering
  11. Trespass
  12. We Can't Dance
  13. ...And Then There Were Three...
  14. Calling All Stations

Bryan Eacret
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

1. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
  2. Selling England by the Pound
  3. Wind & Wuthering
  4. A Trick of the Tail
  5. Nursery Cryme
  6. Foxtrot
  7. Genesis
  8. Abacab
  9. Invisible Touch
  10. ...And Then There Were Three...
  11. Duke
  12. Trespass
  13. We Can't Dance
  14. Calling All Stations - I don't own it and have never heard a song from it.
The top 6 are albums I frequently listen to in their entirety. The rest I listen to select songs only. I realize Duke is considered (by some) to be great, but I've never been able to get into it. We Can't Dance was the end of my Genesis experience.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2017 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

It sounds like I feel about Wind & Wuthering the way you feel about Duke.  I listen to "Eleventh Earl of Mar" and then go straight to "Unquiet...", often skipping "Afterglow", but I listen to Duke straight through.

Bryan Eacret
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2017 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I love listening to Wind & Wuthering, especially in the Fall and early Winter for some reason. Duke has always felt like slogging through mud for me. I'm hard pressed to name a song from it.
I didn't realize that Calling All Stations was a studio album, until I read the story in the link. I've always thought it was a live album. Hard to believe they tried to replace Phil Collins.
Genesis was dead to me after We Can't Dance, which I thought was awful.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:09pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I have everything from And Then There Were Three... to We Can't Dance. I've listened to most others. I like the Prog stuff okay, and I like the longer stuff on the later albums. Driving the Last Spike is my favorite Genesis song.

1- We Can't Dance
2- Duke
3- Abacab
4- Invisible Touch
5- Genesis
6- And then....

Of the rest, I listen to Wind & Wuthering the most (playing in the background via youtube usually)

Calling All Stations is okay..it just pales compared to the other Albums. It's not "Genesis".
Back to Top profile | search | www

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I love listening to Wind & Wuthering, especially in the Fall and early Winter for some reason.

---

I play Wind & Wuthering (and ...And Then There Were Three...) more in the Fall/Winter than any other time.  Either that cover is working on us psychologically, or the cover matches the mood the music evokes.

<< Prev Page of 162 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |