7. A Trick of the Tail
  8. Duke
  9. Genesis
  10. Trespass
  11. We Can't Dance
  12. Nursery Cryme
  13. From Genesis To Revelation
  14. Foxtrot

Genesis is one of those weird bands where the collective album vibe is sometimes better than the individual songs but I tried to consider which actual songs I most enjoy from each album.  Selling England... is most enjoyable heard complete but separated the songs don't have the same impact for me.  I was surprised that Invisible Touch, which has a pretty poor reputation despite being a commercial high point, was as high as 4th on my list.  Too many good hooks and perhaps connections to the happy time and place I first heard it.  Abacab was the first album I bought by them and played so many times; it remains a favorite.

Lamb is sometimes considered more Peter Gabriel than Genesis but it's still easily my top choice, probably because I like Gabriel so much. 

A lot of their other older stuff I kind of lump together; often artistic but sometimes noodly, often moody but sometimes a bit precious or arch.  With the exception of Lamb, it seems like much of their output prior to Collins' arrival is largely forgotten but there are many pre-1973 gems worth seeking.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Invisible Touch is an interesting case. It was the first Genesis album I listening to when it came out, and at the time I really loved all the songs. However, it does sound like an 80's pop Phil Collins album more than a Genesis album to me now. It is in my re-listening list as much as the other Genesis CDs I own.

Invisible Touch is a very good song, and deserves the success it got. Though there are better Genesis songs, this is their only US #1.

I picked up the Greatest hits CD and found myself skipping Tonight Tonight Tonight a lot. But on the album, I like the song. The single edit butchered it.

Land of Confusion has some nice lyrics and hook. But I get tired of it.

Loved In Too Deep at first, but now I find it tedious. I skip it, and it's now my least favorite song on the album.

Anything She Does should have been the single in place of Tonight.... I really like it.

Domino is the highlight of the album for me. Perhaps because it didn't get overplayed in the 80's.

Throwing it All Away is a more interesting ballad than In Too Deep. But still mediocre overall.

The Brazilian is a pretty good instrumental, but they've done better. Back when it was released I heard many people grumble about this song. I think they wanted more of Phil singing, and not interesting instrumentals.

I see We Can't Dance as a return to doing "Genesis" music, instead of Phil Collins pop. I'm surprised how mnay fans like this one better.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2017 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Phil Collins Falls and Hits Head; Tour Postponed
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2017 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Phil Collins joined Genesis 47 years ago today!
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 162
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |