Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 1:20am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Excellent paintmanship!
Back to Top profile | search

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member

Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Waitaminit . . . Aurora's costume is black?!

I kid!  I kid! 

;-)

Nice work, Ryan!

Edited by John Bodin on 04 August 2008 at 10:49am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 August 2008 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just ordered the Mole Man and, for the heck of it (since I decided that a
repaint is all that's needed to make 'em look right) three Sentinels!

Figure I can have 'em lurk!

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member

Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 05 August 2008 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Three Sentinels, JB? 

Hmmmmm . . . .

Since you're going to have extra Sentinels on-hand anyway, this sounds like an ideal time for you to track down some Kneadatite (the "Green Stuff" epoxy putty that Ryan and others use for customizing) in order to try to "correct" some of the detailing on the Sentinals.  Mix, mold, smooth, spray it down with a coat of primer (use Silly Putty to mask off anything that you DON'T want to repaint, like the face area, perhaps), then paint.

;-)

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2008 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Does the Silly Putty stick enough to keep the paint off ?  That's the 2nd time I've seen that recommended (also for airbrushing purposes).  I'm just wondering its usefulness for something this small, like Northstar's star points, etc.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 August 2008 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I suspect good ol' fashioned plasticine might work better than Silly Putty.

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member

Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 05 August 2008 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Not familiar with plasticine, JB . . . gonna have to go google that.

I've found that Silly Putty does stick well enough to keep paint off, Ryan -- far better than any tape I've ever tried.  I've used a rubbery liquid brush-on mask compound on models (I think it's called "Magic Mask"), and I think Silly Putty works just as well.  It forms a nice, tight seal without adhering to the paint below tenaciously enough to peel the paint off when you remove the Silly Putty.  I've kept the Silly Putty in place for several coats, just painting over the putty as well and then using a razor knife or X-Acto blade to score the paint where the putty mask ends (this scoring prevents the new paint from peeling away when you peel the Silly Putty off). 

I've used Silly Putty with brush-on applications, and with spray-on applications (such as priming a figure to paint the body but masking off the head/neck area so I don't have to re-do the fleshtones).

Neat stuff.  Gotta go look up plasticine now..

EDITED TO ADD:  I just looked up plasticine -- the info I found indicates that it is a petroleum-based or oil-based compound, while Silly Putty is more of a polymer-based compound.  I also saw an indication that the putty used in the game CRANIUM is plasticine -- if this is true, it is as malleable as Silly Putty, but I would be afraid of it adhering to the various craft-type acrylic paints that I use a little TOO well.  The putty used in CRANIUM is also a bit more oily than Silly Putty, and I would be afraid that the oils might attack the paint or leach out; Silly Putty seems much more "inert" to me.

Might be worth trying, but Silly Putty is cheap, easy to find, and I can vouch for its good qualities as a masking material for action figure customizations and such.

Edited by John Bodin on 05 August 2008 at 9:45pm

Peter Hardy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2008 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Regards the Sentinels body shape, here's a quote from The Editor - Richard Jackson:-

And lastly, I know some of you have seen him already but here’s an image of the Sentinel Mega Special, due out around the second week in November.

The Sentinel figure posed an interesting challenge for us when deciding which costume/version to make. As there have been many versions of the Sentinels since they were introduced in the 1960s we really wanted to make a classic looking Sentinel that would be recognised by comic readers from all generations. The actual Sentinel we have settled for is based on the Mark VII Sentinel, which in my mind is the most iconic as the design of this Sentinel can be seen in (and heavily influenced by) the Mark III Sentinels (drawn by Neal Adams), the Mark IV, Chalmer's Sentinel, Psi-ber Sentinel, Mark VI, and Day's of Future Now. While the Sentinels are obviously robots each model in the classic pink/purple and blue has always had a certain human body tone and as such this is recognised in our model. My favourite thing about this sculpt is the pose. I think this screams classic 'stop and identify yourself Mutant'.

And for those of you wondering about a size comparison with Galactus, what we've decided to do is have all the mega specials standing at roughly the same height. Yes, I know Galactus is bigger but the Mega Specials are obviously slightly out of scale with the rest of the collection (let's face it, at our scale Galactus should be about 6ft) so we want to make each of these figures as big as we can. Hence Sentinels and Galactus being very similar.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2008 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Blue Light Special at Midtown!  All released figures are marked down 15%!  Shop smart, shop S-Mart!

Scott Richards
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2008 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yeah, and I just ordered 17 figures from them 2 days ago at regular price :\

<< Prev Page of 376 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |