Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 396 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 04 August 2017 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM (2016)

I suppose if I knew more about the Harry Potter universe this would have made more sense to me. Since I don't, tho...

Beautiful to look at. Too many endings.

Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2017 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

50th anniversary alert:

"They're young... they're in love... and they kill people."

Warren Beatty & Faye Dunaway in Arthur Penn's
BONNIE & CLYDE (1967)

It's very funny and irreverent, and yet despite the ending, I always tend to forget (going in with each sporadic viewing) how ultimately sad, awkward and haunting the whole actually is.  Not nearly as romanticized as I sometimes think, when I haven't seen it in a while.

And certainly a '60s classic.  With such a great supporting cast!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 04 August 2017 at 8:59pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2017 at 1:00am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

STARSHIP TROOPERS (1997).

Since I've been re-immersing myself in ROBOCOP, lately, I also decided to reexamine this subsequent Paul Verhoeven satire, which is very much a spiritual successor to ROBOCOP. It also reunited many of that film's key personnel. I'd almost argue that it could take place in the ROBOCOP universe, with OCP's corporate fascism mutating into the Federation. The film isn't quite as incisive or as blatantly funny as ROBOCOP, but there are still a lot of good jokes and moments.

In a future where democracy has failed, and public lashings, hangings, and Mormon extremists are commonplace, we get Nazis by way of BEVERLY HILLS 90210. This movie is essentially a feature-length satire of a fascist propaganda film, although many critics of the era apparently didn't get the joke. Even the vapid and shallow main characters are a part of the joke--generations of attractive, selfish kids are brainwashed into becoming grist for the military mill. Violence is the best and only answer. The fight always goes on. Etc., etc.

The plot is basically STAR TREK's "Arena", but with Kirk eagerly killing the Gorn.

Not as good as ROBOCOP or TOTAL RECALL, but still a rather misunderstood and underrated film, I think. 

Would you like to know more?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 05 August 2017 at 1:29am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM (2016)

I suppose if I knew more about the Harry Potter universe this would have made more sense to me. Since I don't, tho...

I've read all the books and seen most of the movies and this movie still didn't make a lick of sense to me.  I think it's fairly awful.  No "fantastic beasts" show up for nearly an hour and the pacing is deadly dull.  I know a sequel is on its way, but I won't be paying for it that's for sure.  

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2017 at 11:23pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Re BONNIE AND CLYDE. There is a cracking put down of that film in an episode of Cracker (oops, didn't mean to do that), where Cracker talks to a suspect about how he bets they cried at the end of the film. Cracker talks about how he did too, but for the victims and not the two murderers.

Re STARSHIP TROOPERS. I struggled with this film. I really did. I just thought that every tactic employed against the aliens was infantile. 
Let's park our fleet within distance of the plasma ass firing aliens. The whole thinking seemed to end at 'shoot as many as you can' but the amount of bullets needed to kill an alien and the sheer numbers of aliens meant the grunts never stood a chance and became cannon fodder.

Call that satire if you will,  but I just found the whole thing annoying

Edited by James Woodcock on 05 August 2017 at 11:23pm

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 5:16am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

BONNIE & CLYDE (1967) -- if you read about the real lives of the characters, you'll realize that a true biopic is yet to be made, and if it were made, it would be so much more harrowing and ugly.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

True, Michael, though the filmmakers (chiefly Warren Beatty and Arthur Penn) admit on the outset, in the Special Features, that their intent was less a definitive biopic and more of a realistic (for the time) approach to the myth of Bonnie & Clyde.  Another extra on the 2-disc Special Edition that I own is an hour-long History Channel profile of the real story, so it's a nice complement to the '67 film.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 06 August 2017 at 9:50am

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Re STARSHIP TROOPERS. I struggled with this film. I really did. I just thought that every tactic employed against the aliens was infantile. 
Let's park our fleet within distance of the plasma ass firing aliens. The whole thinking seemed to end at 'shoot as many as you can' but the amount of bullets needed to kill an alien and the sheer numbers of aliens meant the grunts never stood a chance and became cannon fodder.

Call that satire if you will,  but I just found the whole thing annoying.
+++++++

That's the joke. Verhoeven has said that the main satirical theme of the movie is "Let's all go to war and let's all die.", as commentary on the military and fascism. At the beginning of the film, Rico expresses a glimmer of doubt (and humanity) that violence is the "supreme authority", but, by the end, he's eagerly marching off to war, and bringing the next generation of even younger troops with him. 

Also, since all of the adult veterans in the film are maimed and/or training the next generation for war, it's implied to be an unending cycle for this future society. Each generation prepares the next for endless war and violence, and being canon fodder is something for kids to aspire to. And, as in TREK's "Arena", it's implied that humans had initially invaded the bugs' territory, but, in this case, humans only treat the bugs' self-defense as aggressive action, and proceed to demonize and attack them without any attempts at communication or mercy. And seeing that they're afraid is a reason to cheer.

Anyway, on a tangential Verhoeven/ROBOCOP note, recently I snagged Miller and Simonson's original ROBOCOP VS. TERMINATOR comic miniseries on the cheap. I'd not read it before, and it's a lot of fun. I also see that our host is acknowledged in the credits. 

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

GRONK!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I just watched with my 9 year old son (his first time!) the original PLANET OF THE APES, and we both walked away fairly stunned.

I've not seen it in many years, and, while I was prepared to love it anew yet again, right now I'm... it's beyond words what I feel and think...!

Two of my boy's reaction made me the most happy: first, he was nuts over the music (yeah!); and second, he was shocked when he briefly checked the clock and noticed that more than 20 minutes of the movie were already over, not an Ape in sight yet, but the time for him just flew -- his delight over that, I can't tell you how delighted *I* am!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Yeah, the build up to that first ape sighting is just perfect.

Genius!!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Also, JB, I noticed that you'd had a "CinemaSins" thread about their critique of PLANET OF THE APES and, you were quite right: a truckload of nit-picking. One of their complaints wasn't even a nit. The sinking of their vessel at the opening was a key moment because whereas Landon lamented it with his play-by-play, Taylor could not even be bothered to turn his head! I'd call that 15 seconds of some excellent definition of characters.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

GRONK!
++++++

The coda, then. I had a feeling that's what it was!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

A.V.P.: ALIEN VS. PREDATOR (2004)

Okay, after years & years of trying (and failing) to watch this all the way through, I think I finally cracked the right way to approach this one...

As a huge fan of ALIEN, ALIENS and (to a lesser extent) the visuals & score of ALIEN 3, I always came away disappointed and annoyed that this "team-up" film never came close to approaching the high pop art of at least the first two films of the ALIEN series.  And then I realized:

I should think of this less as another ALIEN entry and more like a trashy PREDATOR sequel... that just happens to guest-star the creatures from ALIEN.

This time around, I was finally able to enjoy it from beginning to end, as a competent (albeit dopey) modern monster mash.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 06 August 2017 at 4:20pm

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Atchully, I got that nod because I loaned Walter my model of the Terminator!

Meanwhile, just watched KONG - SKULL ISLAND for the second time. I have a feeling this may be my new PROMETHEUS. (See what I did there?) I'm going to be drawn to repeated watchings in the hopes that somehow it will get better.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

The way the original PLANET OF THE APES "peels its onion" is one of the best I've seen in movies. Coincidentally, the original KING KONG does an equally fine job of drawing us into the story.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I love that STAR WARS too took its time -- Luke doesn't appear until 17 minutes into the movie, and well over a half hour before Obi-Wan tells him about the Force.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

The structure of STAR WARS is really,interesting. As noted, Luke doesn't appear until 20 minutes in, and nearly half the runtime takes place on Tatooine. 

The deleted scenes which would have introduced Luke earlier (and set up some of his backstory) are neat, but cutting them was absolutely the right move.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 06 August 2017 at 8:02pm

Pete York
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 9:41pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMAN (1960) D: Basil Dearden

A bitter army colonel (Jack Hawkins), recently informed he's redundant after 25 years, puts together a team of disgraced ex-military men (Bryan Forbes, Roger Livesey, Richard Attenborough, Nigel Patrick) for a bank heist. There are actually two heists, though this is not an action film per se. Neither is it a comedy, which IMDb oddly categorizes it as, despite some funny lines and biting satire. Great cast and London location work.

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2017 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (1974)

I hadn't seen this one in a long time and had been thinking about re-watching it ever since Gene Wilder passed away last year.

It's not my favorite Mel Brooks film, but it was okay in spots (Frau Blucher!). And I love watching a young Teri Garr as Inga the laboratory assistant.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2017 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

The structure of STAR WARS is really,interesting. As noted, Luke doesn't appear until 20 minutes in, and nearly half the runtime takes place on Tatooine.

I've seen STAR WARS all the way thru about 20 times (a low number in this group, probably). Maybe it's because we are on Tatooine for so long that it still surprises me that we get to the Death Star run pretty quickly once we leave there.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 07 August 2017 at 11:27am

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 07 August 2017 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

THE ASSASSINATION BUREAU, LIMITED (1969)

Oliver Reed, Diana Rigg, Telly Savalas. Sumptuous production designs, actors having fun, but not nearly as good as it should be, and badly undercut by a sappy theme song. Cut from the same cloth as such films as THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES, but somewhat underwhelming.

Diana Rigg riding her success as Emma Peel.

Pete York
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2017 at 10:02pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

'I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING!' (1945) D: Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger

Roger Livesey (having just watched him play, it's suggested, some sort of criminal sexual deviant--which I couldn't let stand, as good as he was) and Wendy Hiller are both smashing here. Does anybody use geography as a character better than Powell? Maybe Lean? Our leads are stranded by a gale in the Hebrides, where the film was shot, to no small difficulty. Absolute magic across the board.  

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2017 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

30th anniversary summer movie revisit:

THE LOST BOYS (1987)

Saw this with some high school friends for my 15th birthday, back in the summer of '87, and I've had a soft spot for it ever since.  Arguably the best thing that Joel Schumacher ever made... fun cast, gorgeous locations, colorful yet moody cinematography, and glorious comic-book vampire '80s cheese, of the best kind.

More than just a guilty pleasure... it's actually still pretty good!

Pete York
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2017 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

SEVEN MEN FROM NOW (1956) D: Budd Boetticher

The first Boetticher/Randolph Scott western (also with frequent contributor and future director Burt Kennedy on the script) and maybe the best. Opening scene is straight fire. Another good one later with a slithery Lee Marvin working a nerve on Scott, Gail Russell and her ineffectual husband.  

<< Prev Page of 396 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |