Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 933 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2019 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

TCM had been an early proponent of movies in their original format. They've even been favoring the original language and subtitles over the dubs of Japanese monster movies and THE ROBOT VS. THE AZTEC MUMMY. Of course, this depends on what format they can get from their supplier; Warners owns it*, but I'd heard the various branches treat each other like the competition, or worse. I wonder what portents this spells for the STAR WARS showing later this month. I had been hoping for something as close to Negative One as they could get, but the way it's been listed as STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE hasn't held out much... er, hope.

*I hear Youtubers and podcasters describing the Disney buyout of Fox as "the Mouse owns everything," I look at the Warner Brothers/RKO/MGM/UA library and say, "child, please."
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 July 2019 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The Great Lie of Hollywood was the original introduction of "widescreen" movies. Desperate to convince audiences they were getting MORE in theaters than on that increasingly ubiquitous little box at home, they came up with the idea of "matting" the academy ratio images, running black bands across the top and bottom, creating the illusion that the pictures were WIDER than a TV screen. In fact, they were the same width, but not as TALL.

On my TV it is actually possible to duplicate this effect by clicking to "Zoom" under FORMAT. On most pre-widescreen movies-- and most older TV shows--this creates the same effect.

Not sure what was going on on TCM last night, tho!

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 July 2019 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

MISSING LINK (2019)

Another swing and a miss from Laika. Superb animation, but a lackluster story.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 24 July 2019 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

ROSEMARY’S BABY (1968)

For some reason, this movie has a whole different vibe to it now...

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2019 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008). Enjoyable enough, with plenty of watchable stars, lovely travelogue-style backdrops and some witty moments, sometimes funny, sometimes melancholy.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2019 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

40th anniversary of:

THE AMITYVILLE HORROR (1979)

It's totally bogus and unintentionally hysterical in one too many places, but this and THE SHINING (both caught at age 9, this one on network TV, the other on cable) pretty much kickstarted my love and fascination with supernatural horror stories & films from then on.

Too amusing to really be scary today, but if I squint and concentrate just enough, this one takes me back to when I thought this was the scariest, most disturbing thing I'd ever seen as a kid.  But really, all the heavy lifting is done by the excellent Lalo Schifrin score.

(Though the demonic "Get... OUT!!!" can still give me the shivers, too!)

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The last two minutes (pre-end credits) of JUSTICE LEAGUE.

Actually brought a tear to my eye. How could they get so much so right in such a tiny space of time when the rest of the movie doesn’t have a clue??

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2019 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

FIVE EASY PIECES (1970)
ANGEL, ANGEL, DOWN WE GO (1969)

Unintentional double feature as I empty my DVR from both ends. Democratization of movies by 24-hour cable channel? One might be (or might have been) shown on TCM in primetime with a host's introduction, one never will, but with both in the wee hours of the morning, differences in prestige disappear.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

HELLBOY (2019)

I'd read all the reviews. Read the discussion forums about the movie. Still felt the need to satisfy my morbid curiosity and take the plunge.

Ugh. What a f'n trainwreck. 

Hellboy is such a brilliant concept and I love the comics and novels, but I have yet to see a great movie adaptation (and after this fiasco, I'm certain I never will). I thought the two del Toro/Pearlman movies were pretty good, but they still felt off.

In my humble opinion, a proper Hellboy movie adaptation would best be made following the 300 and/or Sin City model; try to emulate the visuals from the book onto the screen. I'd even settle for something visually similar to something like Dark City or even a Tim Burton Batman movie. 

Ah well... 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2019 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

AQUAMAN 

The wife bought the Blu-Ray for me on Prime Day. 

I didn't like the surfer-bro hero as presented in JUSTICE LEAGUE. I felt the efforts to make Aquaman cool actually made him less so.

Based mostly on that, and always being cautious where DC/Warner is concerned over the last decade, I had passed on it.

I kept hearing good things, if not great things, about it, though. So, I was curious. 

Maybe the character was simply handled (and explained) better here, but it wasn't as annoying. And he did evolve a little. 

The setting and plot came off as an odd mix of WONDER WOMAN  and THE BLACK PANTHER, maybe on accident, maybe not. Hard to dodge parallels with hidden ancient (but elite) cultures with sacred birthright rituals whose very way of life is changed by the meddling of outsiders and/or castoff family. 

That said, I like that they just went for it. This was a fun ride, if lasting just a bit long. The visuals are amazing...immersive, even. Ha. The Black Manta was realized quite well. When our hero finally gets his costume, it's fairly proper. And as much fun was made of "talking to fish" in JL, that power is showcased nicely. An interesting cast, as well. Overall, pretty good. It mostly made me ache for a great Namor movie.

From what I've seen* of DC/Warner live action movies the last 15 years, here's how they rank (in order). 

BATMAN BEGINS
WONDER WOMAN
AQUAMAN
THE DARK KNIGHT
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
JUSTICE LEAGUE 
SUPERMAN RETURNS
MAN OF STEEL
BvS

*SUICIDE SQUAD (Still haven't seen it. Assuming it's the worst). 

**GREEN LANTERN (Which I did see, but had almost completely forgotten about it...that's pretty bad)

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 30 July 2019 at 11:11am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 30 July 2019 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It mostly made me ache for a great Namor movie.

•••

Isn’t that what it is? Sure as Poseidon ain’t Aquaman.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 30 July 2019 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

My much anticipated Blu-Ray copy of QUATERMASS AND THE PIT (1967) just arrived. Know what I’m doing tonight!

<< Prev Page of 933 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |