Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 159 Next >>
Topic: What’s the last movie you saw in a theater? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2018 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I made a pilgrimage to the theatre to see THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND and thought it would have played better as part of a hybrid documentary, like IT'S ALL TRUE, as a opposed to a completed feature.

If this represents the best and most complete collection of say, John Huston's scenes, then it's pretty obvious Welles didn't have a commercially releasable product to show investors. Huston is the ostensible main character, but is barely in the first third of the movie. Maybe Welles himself could have patched it with stand-ins, voice-over, and genius, but I think his one-man-band approach to shooting and editing, which served him well in the Sixties on movies like THE TRIAL, CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT, and F FOR FAKE, let him down here. 

In the past he was able to edit together film shot years apart, and sometimes by other directors for unrelated projects, and make it look like the participants were in the same room, but it doesn't fly here. Possibly the color cinematography is less forgiving? 

The actor with the most lines is inexplicably Peter Bogdanovich, playing an obvious (and biting) parody of himself without a trace of awareness or even professional craft. He truly grew as a performer by the time he appeared on THE SOPRANOS. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2018 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Bohemian Rhapsody. I enjoyed it enough, despite the liberties it takes with the chronology and with condensing disparate events into convenient "it all happened in a single fateful day". As a big, big, BIG Queen fan these things are kind of seared into my mind, so they did jar. However, your average viewer is unlikely to know or care.

Rami Malek's Freddie is never as witty and funny as the real thing, but the film works in key areas -- it captures the energy and excitement of their live performances, particularly with its incredibly faithful recreation of their historic Live Aid set (right down to those paper Pepsi cups on the old joanna) and it stirs the emotions. I was literally wiping tears from my cheeks as the lights came on in the theatre.

Gwilym Lee was uncanny as Brian May. Looked and sounded just like him... to the point that it seemed it really was him at times.

Bonus points for the costumes and haircuts. There were very impressive little touches, like the little highlight in Brian's hair in the mid-eighties and John Deacon's triangular explosion of hair during that period (curiously, they didn't capture Roger's hair so accurately).

Edited by Peter Martin on 17 November 2018 at 1:15pm
Back to Top profile | search

vishard chandool
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2018 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

WIDOWS Great movie, excellent performances. Felt like an extended episode of The Wire.

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2018 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"Monrovia, Indiana."  A documentary by Frederick Wiseman about a small town in the Bible Belt.  Very interesting but some sequences in the 143 minute film are endless.  

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2018 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

QUOTE:
WIDOWS Great movie, excellent performances. Felt like an extended episode of The Wire.

Oh, yeah. WIDOWS was so good. I knew next to nothing going in; all I needed to know was Steve McQueen made a heist thriller, it's getting rapturous reviews, and I was in. The praise is well-deserved. It was a great idea to anchor a thriller around characters struggling through deep loss. It hewed close to the heist movie blueprint, yet was full of surprises and twists that were exciting even when expected, while almost every scene was careful, intense and beautifully cinematographed. A very well-made film.

At a couple places near the end, the clockwork precision came close to box-checking, but it keeps its momentum through the end. It reminded me of INCEPTION and EX MACHINA, in that for all the out of genre  context elements, audiences may not think the actual plot is original enough to carry the weight of the movie.

Edited by David Miller on 30 November 2018 at 11:46pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2018 at 6:01pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

MARY POPPINS RETURNS

A colossal disappointment.  Too much talent in front & back of the camera to be truly terrible, but I liked almost nothing about this*... surprisingly flat-footed, strained, ill-conceived, dour, lifeless and, at times, excruciating (every new song was a complete dud, and the movie would just... not... end!).

Doesn't hold a candle to the 1964 version, and how.  I thought Disney's CHRISTOPHER ROBIN was similarly disappointing, but I had no real expectations going in to that one.  MARY POPPINS RETURNS, on the other hand, has so much wasted talent and potential, it now gets my vote for the worst film I've seen in the theater for 2018.

(*It was nice to see some hand-drawn animation sequences featured in a Disney film again, for the first time in years.)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 29 December 2018 at 6:40pm

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2018 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Clint Eastwood's THE MULE. Saw it with my dad about a week ago. Liked it a lot!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Saw MARY POPPINS RETURNS last night. Enjoyed it quite a bit, once I disconnected it from the earlier movie--the two are just too dissimilar to warrant comparison.

The songs are entertaining, there's a definite threat (and an antagonist) lurking, the kids are fun, and both Emily Blunt and Lin-Manuel Miranda deliver what the movie calls for.

Is it as good/better than the 1964 MP? Probably not--your mileage may vary. But it was good enough to deserve a re-watching and even maybe hum a few of the songs. If you enjoyed the Disney live action movies of the '60s and '70s, you're very likely to enjoy this one too.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

THE MULE- Very good! Clint has become one of my very
favorite movie-makers!

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 7:47pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

SONY Animation Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse. My oldest daughter saw the movie first; she then said to my wife and I: "If you don't like this movie, there's something wrong with you!" (No pressure!)

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 9:53pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

SONY Animation Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse.

My boy considers it the best Spider-Man movie he has
seen, and one of the most creative Animation film.

We enjoyed it a lot !
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2019 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

ESCAPE ROOM

Enjoyable popcorn movie. The payoff is slightly disappointing, but it doesn't ruin the film. It's basically a PG-13 SAW. Or maybe CUBE (1997) with a much bigger budget and more recognizable actors.

<< Prev Page of 159 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |