Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 69
Topic: What’s the last movie you saw in a theater? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 13 May 2017 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

KING ARTHUR: LEGEND OF THE SWORD

I suppose I liked it a smidge more than David; whatever my reaction was, I wasn't bored.

Why this is called KING ARTHUR is beyond me.  I'm pretty flexible when it comes to adaptations of the Arthurian myths because those stories evolved and changed so much through the centuries, but this had virtually nothing to do with Arthur.  A mixture of Tolkein, Game of Thrones, Robin Hood filtered through Guy Ritchie, but not King Arthur.

Charlie Hunnam's swagger was almost enough to distract me from him being about 15 years too old for the role, but no one else in the cast made much of an impression.  Guy Ritchie's frantic cheekiness is even less well suited to a pseudo-Medieval era than Victorian London. 

Another film where the FX and action scenes are all dark and/or rainy.  They might as well just put up a black screen with a subtitle of what we're supposed to be seeing. 

But, it was a rainy, dreary Saturday afternoon and this killed two hours without me falling asleep ...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol2.

I'll post my full thoughts in the dedicated thread, but I liked it overall, despite it creaking under its own bloat at times. 
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2017 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Wonder Woman, which I liked a lot up to a certain point. Thought it lost its way a little in the final third, but Gal Gadot is so right for the role that the movie still left me with a kind of magic buzz long after I'd left the theatre.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2017 at 11:06pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Wonder Woman, loved it!  Didn't think it was the best movie ever made, mind you, but I did love it!  I plan on seeing it again. 

Marc

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2017 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Saw THE MUMMY this past week, planning on WONDER WOMAN tomorrow, for Father's Day.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2017 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Wonder Woman, which went from "loving it" to "liked it" after a weak conclusion.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 26 June 2017 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

SKID ROW MARATHON (2017) - This is a new documentary that was shown as part of the LA Film Festival a few weeks ago. A Los Angeles Superior Court judge starts a long distance running club out of Midnight Mission, a downtown recovery house for the homeless. The movie is structured around the runners and their stories as we follow them in training for marathons in Senegal and Rome. While the marathons give the overall movie its structure, it's the stories of the runners that give this movie its real impact.

It was the audience award as well as the juried LA Muse documentary award, so I hope that translates into some kind of theatrical or TV distribution so people can see this wonderful film.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 29 June 2017 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

DRAMATIC ESCAPE (2015) - This doc features inmates at the Sing Sing prison in New York as they put on a play - they rehearse and perform Aaron Sorkin's A FEW GOOD MEN.  This is an engrossing and emotional story about forgotten men in prison, and at the same time we see them connect with a powerful contemporary work.  It's fascinating to see them wrestle with the intricacies of performing, from the basics of memorization to the connection they make with their characters, the play, and their fellow inmates.

I saw this as part of a program on rehabilitation through the arts, but I understand it aired on PBS last year, so there is chance that this will drop up on broadcast TV.  Highly recommended!

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

DISPICABLE ME 3. Boring, I didn't so much as smile a single time.  Even the kids hated it. This formula has run its course, it was far worse than the second one. The Minion Movie was so funny, too. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

(Yikes... that's a bummer, Ryan... we are probably going to see that tomorrow, too!)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2017 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Bought my tickets for Spider-Man online, went to the theatre, only seats in the front row were available. It seemed I was sitting about 10 feet from the screen, looking up at an angle of 60 degrees. With the 3D, it was just too much. I went and got a refund while the trailers were still playing... A waste of time, but I'm not paying a full ticket price for a substantially substandard viewing experience.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Just returned from a viewing of WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES.

A good, solid end(?) to the franchise. I don't think it can necessarily hold a candle to the first two, but it had a lot of heart, emotion and a great character-driven story. A character provided for comic relief works so well (unexpectedly). And, just like in the first two films, I was so immersed in the ape world, nothing feels like a CGI construct at any time.

I say this because, when CGI was in its infancy, it was distracting for me. Han Solo chatting with a CGI Jabba? No thanks. But these apes felt so real to me.

One question: I'm told the modern films are prequels to the 1968 POTA. I don't see it, myself, not without disregarding a lot of continuity (not that the ape films have ever really maintained it).

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Wonder Woman.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

DUNKIRK

Fantastic.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

THE BIG SICK.

Mostly it was Rom-Com predictable but often lovely, sweet, charming and the insight offered into Muslim-Pakistani-American culture is wonderful. Terrible title, though. You've seen some of this before, for example in MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING, but...

*spoiler*

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
Whereas in GREEK WEDDING, the single "other"-ethnic lead was presented with a dinner guest parade of possible spouses in the most shallow/funny fashion, here in BIG SICK the Pakistani women offered as potential arranged brides are not all there merely as "drop-ins" to a family meal in order to emphasize repeatedly the lead character's complete rejection of this tradition -- some of them get a strong voice, and one in particular has a tiny scene with lines so powerful I wish she could be given her own movie!

Edited by Michael Penn on 31 July 2017 at 9:13am

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2017 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Bought my tickets for Spider-Man online, went to the theatre, only seats in the front row were available. It seemed I was sitting about 10 feet from the screen, looking up at an angle of 60 degrees. With the 3D, it was just too much. I went and got a refund while the trailers were still playing... A waste of time, but I'm not paying a full ticket price for a substantially substandard viewing experience.

My thought is if you go to a 3D showing, you're already paying more than full price for a substandard viewing experience...

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 15 September 2017 at 1:13pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2017 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Yeah, but at my theatre, you often don't get the choice. It's 3-D or don't see it.

Anyway, I returned to the scene of the crime and watched Spider-Man. And I thought it held together pretty well as a cohesive film. There are a load of silly decisions they went with that I wish they hadn't, but the strength of Tom Holland in the central role and the general level of fun gets a thumbs up.

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

DUNKIRK.

Enjoyed it a lot. Very creative in the way that it weaves three separate threads into an entertaining story line. Good performance from a mostly unknown cast. And the cinematography was terrific.

I only had two quibbles with the film, and they are small ones.

1.) I had a hard time hearing some of the dialogue. I'm not sure if the acoustics in my theater were a bit off, but I had a difficulty following what was being said by the pilots when they were speaking into their radios.

SPOILER ALERT:

2.) I think the laws of physics were bent a lot for Tom Hardy's Spitfire to stay aloft so long and maneuver so well with a dead propeller and empty fuel tanks. But it made for a nice ending to the movie.

It was still well worth the cost of the ticket and a box of popcorn :-)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2017 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Dunkirk for me as well. A finely made film. Disappointed at first that they gave so little context, but found it all came together very well -- the displaced time thing helped keep the tension ratcheted up. Very tense at times, quite moving at others, definitely glad I went to see it.

Regarding difficult to hear dialogue -- this is kind of a Nolan thing (see also: Bane). He is quite happy for ambient sound to drown out dialogue at times.

I think I would have preferred them to actually reproduce Elgar's Nimrod faithfully if they wanted to use it, rather than have the bastardised Zimmer-thing they went with.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2017 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

CARS 3 today, to escape the heat and wildfire smoke haze we're currently having...

Better than 2, but not as good as the first movie. It also did me a favor by side-lining Mater, and focusing more on McQueen this time. I also liked the return to the "Route 66" feel of the first movie, with the Thomasville Speedway location.

Glad I finally saw this on the big screen, but not in a rush to see it again, nor pick up the Blu Ray.

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2017 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

"Anabelle: Creation"

Normally, not my type of movie but this was my girlfriend's pick. We saw "The Conjuring" but none of the follow-ups/prequels. This movie delves into the origin of the possessed doll that was featured in the beginning of "The Conjuring". This wasn't gory but it was very creepy & some "jump" moments that got my girlfriend to near break my hand a few times. For the most part I liked it. I wouldn't rush to own it, but it would make for a good scare to watch around Halloween.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2017 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I saw Annabelle: Creation as part of coping with last week's heat wave. I haven't seen any of the other movies and apparently the conclusion of the movie depended on familiarity with the last film, but I felt like I kept up okay. I had not the slightest frickin clue what was going on in the end credits stinger, though. 

Solid enough movie. I did find myself wondering why something so powerful and versatile would waste its time tormenting orphans. 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2017 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

WIND RIVER. Really magnificent, easily in my top 5 films of the year. I say it's the best western made in the 21st century. 

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2017 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

From what I read Dave, is that the end of "Creation" is the beginning of the previous "The Conjuring: Anabelle" movie that came out a couple of years ago. We're going to watch that one here then this week I think.

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2017 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I finally watched Valerian end the city of 1000 planets.
It could/should have been better but I quite enjoyed the movie for many reasons.

Here is the first 4 minutes, which was a really good start for the movie.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/watch-an-intergalactic-society-evolve -in-the-mindblowin-1803145782?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_fa cebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 69
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |