Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 101 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last and... (TV Edition) Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2017 at 5:22am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Started watching BILLIONS.
Liking it so far. Paul Giamatti is great as usual.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 05 April 2017 at 5:59am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A small unintentional amusement from 30 ROCK:

One of the episodes has Jack ordering Kenneth to cut himself off from Tracy, in order to lure Tracy back to work. In the scene where this is set up, Kenneth makes a reference to his step-father, Ron, and then, answering the phone, assumes the identity of "Cranston".

Bryan Cranston played Ron in the final season.

Seriously, religions have been built on less!!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2017 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I do really need to get around to watching 30 ROCK, now that I finally finished watching all 7 seasons of PARKS&REC over the course of a year. I didn't realize that Cranston made an appearance - looking at a clip online, I see by his haircut that he filmed it between seasons of BREAKING BAD. He might be one of the only actors that excels at both comedy and drama equally.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 05 April 2017 at 9:04am

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 05 April 2017 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Helen Mirren makes an uncredied appearance in a third season episode -- at least, she does according to the IMDb. I had assumed it was an impersonator -- which is given credibility by the fact that this appearance, a BFD by just about any measure, is not cited anywhere else. Including Dame Helen's own IMDb page!

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2017 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

When utilizing IMDB, it's important to remember the site is user updated, just like Wikipedia, and can be just as unreliable. 
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2017 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm revisiting Season 3 [2011] of PARKS & RECREATION (for about the third time now), when they started firing on all cylinders, with the addition of Adam Scott and Rob Lowe.

So good, howlingly funny.  Easily my favorite sitcom of the last 10 years.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 09 April 2017 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

When utilizing IMDB, it's important to remember the site is user updated, just like Wikipedia, and can be just as unreliable.

Did not know that.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 09 April 2017 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

THE QUESTOR TAPES (1973)

Gene Roddenberry's TV movie/busted pilot, basically a reinterpretation of the ideas he spun into "Assignment: Earth" on STAR TREK TOS. This time a superintelligent android subs for a eugenically engineered human. Robert Foxworth and Mike Farrell acquit themselves nicely.

A perennial favorite.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2017 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

BILLIONS

Enjoyed it overall. I do think they went too far in making the bad guy the good guy and vice versa. The character of the wife and performance coach is simultaneously the best and least believable part of the show. A group of fine performers slickly playing smart scripts. Still a little too "TV" for my much-battered-by-TV sensibilities, but enjoyable overall. I'm looking forward to the release of season two.

NASHVILLE

Following Connie Britton from FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS to her next gig, I enjoyed the earlier episodes far more than the later ones. The entire thing becomes so soap-operatic, I expected my television to start chugging from side-to-side like an overloaded washing machine. Good performances throughout for the most part and I did like most of the music. Hayden Panettiere is a great deal of fun as the bitchy teen-diva looking to stretch her wings artistically while she continues to treat everyone around her as disposable. I might pick up the next season, but I don't know. The story format pattern of rise-fall-redemption kept happening so often the characters began commenting on how difficult to believe it was all becoming. That's never a good sign. Really, the whole thing was so damned fake and so earnest all the while about itself that a second helping seems as if it would be doubly hard to swallow. 

Back to Top profile | search | email

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2017 at 11:08pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Finally getting into season 2 of BATMAN on Blu-Ray. Right from the start, you can see the increasingly wacky gags they used to try and boost ratings. And Art Carney as the Archer was not the best way to kick the season off.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 April 2017 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Sat down tonight for a mini-marathon of TWILIGHT ZONE, and discovered the boxed set of DVDs I've had on my shelf for years does not have the episodes in order!!

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2017 at 11:40pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"Portrait of a man gone mad..."

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2017 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I, SPY continues to surprise even if the racism gets a bit harrowing at times.

Also watched DOCTOR WHO: THE NEXT DOCTOR with David Tennant and David Morrissey. There's just something wonderfully enjoyable and life-affirming about Tennant's performances as the Doctor. As much as I like the deftness of Matt Smith's physical comedy and sudden shifts into the serious, Tennant's Doctor is still my favorite by a wide margin.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

VEEP (S6,E1)

Returning with guns blazing -- and one twist not seen before: it's a full year since the events of the S5 closer.

Just hope they're not going to forget Martin Mull's last line there!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Such a good episode. Dan(ny) and Jonah's time together had me howling with laughter. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

The Larry Sanders Show [1992-98]

After this first hit HBO, close to 25 years now (in the summer of '92), I distinctly remember it being the first television comedy that would literally make me scream & cry with laughter with every single episode.  I'd certainly laughed at other sitcoms, and other HBO comedies, but this was a whole other level for me (I was only in my 20's at the time).

Haven't really revisited it in full since it went off the air, and my local Costco had the entire series on the cheap a few months back... I picked it up right-quick, but only today finally gave it a spin...

From the first episode:  Glorious.  Already laughing out loud all over again, and also picking up on some subtleties and/or gags that I'm sure escaped me in my relatively naive & inexperienced youth.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 24 April 2017 at 7:59pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 9:11pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Season 1 of Game of Thrones. How good? As good as it gets, methinks.

Wow. It does a genius job of what it does. First trick: tell multiple stories of which you cannot tell which is the more important or compelling... even as they unfold before your eyes. Second trick: cast everyone perfectly! Third trick: have insanely great supporting characters. To wit., Syrio Forel, Bronn, Septa Mordane, etc.

Of the highest quality, it was a joy to revisit.  

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:29pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Season 1 of TWIN PEAKS (1990).

Never saw the show during its initial run or on DVD, so this is my first time seeing what David Lynch brought to the small screen.

Just finished watching the pilot episode and I like what I see so far. My friends and co-workers have told me that there is a lot of onscreen weirdness ahead so I guess I have been forewarned. 

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 03 May 2017 at 5:31am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

IN THE LOOP (2009)

TV movie follow-up to THE THICK OF IT, a British black comedy about the ins and outs of politics in England. Created and produced by Armando Iannucci, who had the same jobs on VEEP. The most (unintentially) amusing aspect of this film is seeing all the soon-to-be VEEP alumni in earlier but not dissimilar roles. Almost like watching a casting call.

This series is, of course, the reason I cannot buy Peter Capaldi on DOCTOR WHO. The foul-mouthed character he plays here is too branded into my brain.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2017 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Different strokes...I think Capaldi has been the only reason to watch 'Doctor Who', in the midst of the Moffat Era.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 03 May 2017 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

And you've seen the British shows I name?

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 05 May 2017 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

TWIN PEAKS (S1E1)

Having seen only bits and pieces of this over the years, but knowing David Lynch was behind it, I went inexpecting weird. What I found was boredom.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2017 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

VEEP (S6E4)

Well, I really thought we had the new direction for Selena. It's still as funny as ever, but I find myself hoping for something more stable. Still hoping for The Eagle to have been right, I guess. 

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 08 May 2017 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I shall feel utterly betrayed if the end of S5 is left unresolved.

Meanwhile, I'm getting into SILICON VALLEY.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I was thinking of starting that one, JB. How is it?

<< Prev Page of 101 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |