Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 109 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last and... (TV Edition) Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 09 July 2017 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm about to start the 70s PLANET OF THE APES series. No idea how it ties into the continuity of the films (if it does at all)

Continuity went out the window with the first new scene of the second movie, and by the time we got to the TV series, there was nothing left of the original movie/story save for cheaper versions of the ape makeup. MUCH cheaper!

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2017 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'll try and enjoy it on its own merits, Mr Byrne.

I agree about continuity. The first POTA film, in retrospect, should have been allowed to stand on its own merits.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2017 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Speaking only for myself, I think the best thing that ever came out of the APES TV series was this single image (from the intro):

Related image

Edited by Shaun Barry on 09 July 2017 at 7:32pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2017 at 11:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Getting into GAME OF THRONES, season 3. Consistently excellent and addictive. It's quickly becoming the sole focus of my free time. At this rate, I'll be fully caught up in a week or two.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 11 July 2017 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Plugging along with S4 of VOYAGER. Seven eps in, which is better than I did with S1!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 11 July 2017 at 11:33pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

So my wife and I started marathoning THE AMERICANS.  I've wanted to see it for a very long time.  My wife?  Thought it might be interesting, but not as much as me.  Three seasons down and midway through Season Four, we're both hooked.  Hard.  It's an amazing series, every bit as good as I had heard.  For fans of the series (no spoilers!) we just watched the Season Four episode that made my jaw literally drop on the floor.  Not to be cryptic (...but I kinda have to be) I didn't expect it, wasn't prepared for it, but it made sense within the context of the series and characters.  Nevertheless?  Wow.  

I can't recommend this series enough.  

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2017 at 11:46pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think what makes THE AMERICANS effective for me is that even though Philip and Elizabeth are enemies of the US and are, at times, pretty ruthless killers, I still find myself rooting for their family to stay intact and survive the Cold War. There's a crazy dissonance going on there.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2017 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Starting season 4 of GAME OF THRONES. I find myself continually surprised and enthralled by the twists, turns, betrayals, and surprising amount of depth brought to characters who may have initially seemed rather shallow (Jamie Lannister being a notable example). Brilliant stuff.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Enjoying the POTA series. 

"The Trap" is my highlight so far. Urko and Burke (one of the humans) are trapped underground in an old subway station. Great interaction between them - and Urko is quite disturbed when he sees an old poster which "informs" him of how ape/human relations really used to be.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

LOST

I'm doing a re-watch. Damn, I've missed this show. Still incredibly watchable, must thanks to some great character work and excellent casting.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 July 2017 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

More VOYAGER. Still enjoying it, in a limited sort of way. Tonight's episode, "Message in a Bottle", strains my enjoyment on several levels including Andy Dick, and lumpy Romulans.

Really hate those. Such blatant contempt for TOS.

(Extensive and elaborate sets for the Prometheus. Guessing they were used elsewhere?)

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 11:50pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Okay, Reed. You win. GAME OF THRONES is quickly becoming an all-time favorite and a must-own. Nearly finished with the fourth season. "The Watchers on The Wall" might just be one of the most intense and exciting television episodes I've ever seen. A mere TV episode, yet it almost feels like a cut above most big-budget action movies. Brilliant.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Dang. I'm only up to the third episode. The wife is out on it and I have very limited time and space to watch it otherwise. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Greg Kirkman wrote:
Okay, Reed. You win. GAME OF THRONES is quickly becoming an all-time favorite and a must-own.

Glad you came 'round!  I kinda knew you would, but you had to get another season or two under your belt. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 7:17pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I have just have another 20 hours/episodes to get through, but I won't be caught up in time for tomorrow night's season premiere. That'll take a few more days. Looking forward to hopping onboard the first-run-episode train with everyone else, over the next few weeks.

Finished season four, starting season five. The last few episodes of season four are amazing. I never cease to be amazed at how the many, many different characters and plotlines occasionally dovetail with each other, in ways both expected and not. 

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 16 July 2017 at 7:17pm

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 17 July 2017 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Giving up on VOYAGER, again. I think if this was the SEVEN AND THE DOCTOR show, I would have lasted longer. Find myself getting annoyed at repeated affections -- like near constant references to "Jefferies Tubes", a little behind the scene joke from TOS that here is turned into -- I don't know what! And there sure are a LOT of them!!

The size of the various workspaces and cabins has been annoying me, on a ship as "small" a Voyager. When we saw Harry Kim's single occupancy cabin looking like the Presidential Suite in a grand hotel, I could only roll my eyes.

Ah, well!!!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Working on season five of GAME OF THRONES. Still brilliant.

I think Sansa Stark has now inherited the mantle of "unluckiest character on TV" from Jesse Pinkman! 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Just finished GoT season one yesterday. Hope to get thru the second in the next few days. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2017 at 1:01am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Started GAME OF THRONES season six. The ending of season five was rather literally a hit in the gut. 

I continue to be amazed at how the show oh-so-slowly moves its various chess pieces into place. Details and characters from much earlier in the series prove to be important, as time goes on. A lot of stuff has been seeded throughout the series' run, and I look forward to seeing where it all goes.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2017 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Started FREDDY'S NIGHTMARES.

The first episode covers the backstory of Freddy Krueger. Subsequent episodes are anthology tales. Freddy's appearances are tenuous.

I'm really not sure of the point of this series, good though the episodes are (it is fun to see the likes of Mariska Hargitay in 80s roles). Obviously, a series solely about Krueger would have not been sustainable, especially given his movie appearances at the time; but given that he just acts more as a narrator/storyteller, well surely any character could have done that?

Very much a product of its era - and one that wasn't that good at the time.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Obviously, a series solely about Krueger would have not been sustainable, especially given his movie appearances at the time; but given that he just acts more as a narrator/storyteller, well surely any character could have done that?

-----

You're underestimating his popularity at the time. Putting his name on it is probably the difference between the show being made and the show not existing.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I was aware of his popularity at the time, but just because he was popular, doesn't mean it was a good idea. Anthology shows may not have been as popular in the 80s, but it didn't necessarily need his involvement.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

IT'S ABOUT TIME (1966)

Two American astronauts accidentally travel faster than light, and finmd themselves "trapped" in 1,000,000 BC -- which is replete with cavemen and dinosaurs. Not a documentary, clearly!

Created and produced by Sherwood Schwartz, who gave the world GILLIGAN'S ISLAND, this has much in common with that show -- including a stick-in-your-head theme song.

At sixteen I enjoyed it for what it was. It only lasted one season, with a major sea change in the middle, as the astronauts find a way to return to the 20th Century and bring the cave family they have befriended with them. Difficult to imagine how anyone could had seen a long future for either version.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Watched a few minutes of GAME OF THRONES last night and found it just as I remembered -- which is not good.

And, seriously, a tiny female poses as a large man by wearing a mask???

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

"...it's about time, it's about space..."

(Oh no!)

<< Prev Page of 109 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |