Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 114 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last and... (TV Edition) Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2018 at 12:52am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Is that a half-hour show? It was supposed to be a segment of his CBS show, until they 'thought bigger'.
Colbert is very funny, in small doses...just about long enough for his nightly monologues.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2018 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The 70s version of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.

Very much a product of its era. No binge-watching here. Great theme, but I think it may well be nostalgia that one could live without.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

RED DWARF (first season).

Still the best season, in my view. Something so very raw and fresh about it. 

John Byrne

Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Revisiting the British version of GETTING ON.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm watching Netflix's Abstract: The Art of Design. Christoph Niemann's work in the first episode was quite amusing, though I found the piece as a whole to be a little meandering. The second episode, which looks at Nike Air Max designer Tinker Hatfield, has more of an organised narrative and is the better for it.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

RED DWARF (first season).

Still the best season, in my view. Something so very raw and fresh about it. 
++++++++++++++++

I tend to agree. I really love the darker, smaller, more sitcom-ish early episodes. Just a group of lonely, horny idiots stuck together aboard the ship, with the jokes and the situations coming mainly from their twisted behavior and quirks.

I still love the later seasons, when Kryten came along, and the show broadened its scope, but the first two seasons have a special energy to them.

I have Series I-VI on disc. I really need to finally get 'round to buying VII-VIII (and maybe even the new seasons, as well), and giving the entire series a rewatch.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

You put it well, Greg.

There is more of a sitcom-ish feel to the early episodes. True, the arrival of Kryten broadened the scope. And there were good episodes afterwards, but your description of the first two seasons having a special energy to them is spot-on.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 11:06pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I think it boils down to the personality conflict between Lister and Rimmer. The premise is that Holly specifically brought back Rimmer as a hologram in order to keep Lister sane. So, itís THE ODD COUPLE in space. Lister, the last human alive, is trapped on a ship with a simulation of a man who drove him nuts, the Cat, and Holly. And thatís it. No women, no other humans, no real hope.

After the first two seasons, the show expanded into more of a true ensemble, action-adventure, high-concept format. Still incredibly fun, funny, and clever, but somehow less special than the early episodes, which had genuine moments of melancholy, loneliness, and pathos in amongst the crass humor and whatnot. And, as much fun as Hattie Hayridge was as Holly, adding a female character to the cast also changed the dynamic. The lack of any women on the ship was a key part of the original vibe of the show. The love of Listerís life is long dead, and the only other living being on the ship is the Cat (who, like Lister, is also super-horny, but with no place to put that energy).

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 12:16am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I enjoyed RED DWARF until it became a series where each character had a set of lines that had to be said in each episode. Then I found myself just waiting for, and by the end, resenting, those lines.

And I missed the scutters when they were dropped

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Sampling the first season of BROADCHURCH via Netflix.

Two episodes into it and I am really enjoying it so far. It has been a while since I last watched a British police procedural and I am hoping this one will keep my attention through its full run.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 10:53pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The first series is excellent.

John Byrne

Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

A pleasant surprise, last night. Popped in the third series of GETTING ON, and realized I'd somehow not watched it before!

This is a show that demands attention. The breaks between series are treated as real time for the characters, so we come back to changed circumstances that are explained thru casual, conversational exposition.

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Moving on to the second series of BROADCHURCH via Netflix.

I thought the first series was terrific. I hope they can keep it going in terms of the storylines and characters.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I've been watching early '90s Emmerdale via DVDs released in Finland (it's still in English and you can turn off the subtitles). Just before that I was watching Jupiter Moon which was a BSB-Australia (and I think German TV too) co-production. It was like Grange Hill on a space station. It probably ended because BSB (with the Squarials) failed and was absorbed into Sky. I'd read about it in magazines of the day but am only seeing it now. It's a bit like the short-lived Star Cops in some ways too. I've left it at halfway through the episodes.

John Byrne

Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

THE HITCHHIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. The real one.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Thanks to Lovefilm, I got to see THGTTG about seven years ago.

I have long said that hairstyles and fashions are prone to becoming dated, and that is inescapable. But storylines and creative aspects don't necessarily become dated in the same way.

The real one gets a thumbs-up from me! 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

You can get Emmerdale on DVD in Finland? Thatís a perpetual, weekly show.

How many DVDs are there? The mind boggles.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 10:46pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

There are 8 separate sets from Finland so far... sets 1-4 had 3 discs each, sets 5 & 6 were four discs, and sets 7 & 8 just two: for a total of 24 discs. I think it was aired 2-3 times per week back then, so it's not quite as extreme. Network has been putting it on DVD from the first Emmerdale Farm episode of the early '70s and there've been five sets of four discs each of that. Doctor Who fans may be interested to know that Louise Jameson (Leela) appears in the early Emmerdale Farm as a Beckindale village girl what gets offed by a brutish but somewhat simple-minded feller. I'm a bit partial to this particular show as my Mum's side came from a stone's throw from where they made/make much of it.

I remember people passing around cassette tapes of the radio Hitchhiker's Guide before the first tv version was aired. I could be wrong but I think they kept some of the voice actors like the guide voice and the Vogon poet. Doctor Who fans may be interested to know that Peter Davison (the 5th Doctor) appears as the Dish Of The Day in the Resteraunt At the End Of The Universe!

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 2:53am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

And, of course, Emmerdale Farm was where the Time Lords really sent Jaime Macrimmon at the end of 'The War Games'...

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Ooh ahr, that be Joe Sugden. That be he that married the refugee from Blake's Seven.

There actually was a scene in one of these early '90s Emmerdales with Joe Sugden in it where Doctor Who is mentioned, and it blew my little mind.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 1:22am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Looks like Wendy (Zoe) Padbury passed through there, too.
Soap operas would be a lot more interesting if the actors could come back to visit, playing their characters from different shows...

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

There was a speical Red Dwarf where Dave Lister (and the Dwarf posse) meets up with Craig Charles, soap actor, on the Coronation Street set. He left 'Corrie' a couple of years ago... he played cab driver Lloyd who had a great vinyl record collection (Charles is also a well known Liverpool DJ). I can't remember any Red Dwarf references on the soap, but then I didn't watch it all the time, it was almost impossible to while traveling or living in remote areas.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2018 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Currently revisiting INSIDE NO. 9, a UK anthology series where each story, usually very dark, is set in a building no. 9.

Those outside the UK, please watch it. Now. This moment!

John Byrne

Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

SILICON VALLEY, Season 4

Homework in prep for the 5th season starting in a few weeks.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Watched all of Inside No 9, brilliant show. All eps on
Netflix UK.

<< Prev Page of 114 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |