Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek << Prev Page of 131 Next >>
Topic: More Star Trek Models from Round 2 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

That is well done Greg! Bravo.
I am a big fan of that ship. The opening of the show progresses to it nicely and I've always enjoyed that shows intro. I always thought of that ship as 'clunkier' because it should be, its 'the prototype' ship. Thats what makes it work for me, as a ship and a show..

I'll preference this next bit by saying season 3.5 till the end fell flat.

I am a Big Trek fan and I wonder why most people dislike / disregard the show so much. I've re-visited it a few times and I still enjoy it. It has that sense of new and exploring and 'we shouldn't be out here, but what the hell lets go' that a new Earth needs. A young child in a big playground.

Scott B (and the rest of the crews) mix of 'stupid human' with 'do the right thing' procedure was as close to what it should have been. To me it was the closest to the original concept by Gene. Space/Western explorers into the unknown.

side note:
And Jolene B. just WOW. Best Vulcan ever.

Watched a few Discovery episodes, no thanks. Enterprise beats it hands down as the real start of space exploration. Enterprise almost makes it seem possible (after drive/propulsion method is achieved). To bad our world cant think outside itself. Its too bad and quite sad we have lost the urge to expand our horizons and explore .

sorry, bit of a soapbox myself. Just not named 'Stan'

Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2019 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Looks like the 1/1000 Enterprise Refit model will be getting a WRATH OF KHAN-themed reissue, soon, along with a new set of decals for both that model and the Reliant. Makes me wonder if they’ll upgrade anything, since Round 2 has a habit of improving decals and tooling for their re-releases. 

I get the feeling that they’ll be adding battle-damage markings for this edition, since that would certainly distinguish the re-issue from the original version of the kit, which I just finished building, a few months back. Aftermarket damage decals and photoetch sets have existed for many years, but it would be nice for the actual kits to finally include them. I used an aftermarket set for my destroyed, SEARCH FOR SPOCK version of the Enterprise, some years ago.

Still need to finish my Reliant, although I didn’t see anything about that kit being reissued. Just what looks like a combo(?) decal set for both 1/1000 TWOK models. Hmmm.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2019 at 1:37am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yep, it’s a reissue with battle damage decals. Looks like the Aztec decals will be offered separately (unlike the original issue of the 1/1000 kit), which is something Round 2 has been doing for awhile to keep kit prices reasonably low.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2020 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Looks like Round 2 will be releasing a 1/32 TOS shuttle (Yay!), and a 1/1000 STDprise (Boo!). Unfortunately, the shuttle apparently won’t have an interior.

Starting around 32:00.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 February 2020 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Nice shuttlecraft. Certainly an improvement on the AMT version!

No surprise that it won't have an interior. As they note, that set was entirely different proportions from the exterior mockup. Too many compromises. I can imagine fan brains exploding when they realize the measurements aren't "right".

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2020 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

That’s the magic of cinema! It all works fine onscreen, but the nuts-and- bolts of making the theoretical ship fit together is something else entirely. The Millennium Falcon is similarly nightmarish.

With the shuttle, you have three different constructs (interior set, exterior set, FX miniature) and one overall length (24’) explicitly stated in dialogue, which has resulted in 50-plus years of OCD fans trying to make it all work together. 

I have no doubt that the aftermarket will come to the rescue with a (compromised) interior. And the 1/32 Bridge from Round 2 already has figures in the proper scale. I dunno if the kit will allow the top to pop off, in case people want to display a custom interior. A compromised interior would look perfectly fine through the kit’s windows, though.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 02 February 2020 at 11:34am

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 February 2020 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There's something flirting with irony that the AMT kit was so poor, give that AMT buit the actual mockup used on the show!

1/32nd scale bridge? Did not know about that!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2020 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It’s a reissue (from 2013) of the old AMT Bridge kit, with improved decals, figures, and enough wall parts to create the full perimeter (unlike the original version of the kit).

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 February 2020 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Ah, yes. Nowhere to put it, anyway—tho I would like to see the decals, in case I could use them on my 3D model.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2020 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Super-accurate decals. They were designed by the gent behind this site, which now seems to have gone private, unfortunately.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tosgraphics/

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2020 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Here’s a peek at those decals:

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 February 2020 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I’m not on Pinterest.