Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek << Prev Page of 56 Next >>
Topic: More Star Trek Models from Round 2 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2017 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I pulled out the 1/350 TOS. Put on my Blue Builders club shirt and starting going thru the boxes trying to make sure I have all the parts still.  So many wires!! What possessed me to want to do the lighting! UGH! 
So tempted to Rework this into the pilot version and not light anything. Save it for the second Build. (which I will never ever get to)

Also found unbuilt 1/1000 NX-01 and TOS in the box with Big E> 

I like the art. It's better than anything I've seen come out officially for years! Maybe greg can kitbash one. ha ha!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2017 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Taking a break from the PHASE II model whilst waiting for primer to cure, I  got back to work on my Franz Joseph-style tug. This build has been in-progress for years, with a number of setbacks and false starts. It has almost seemed cursed. I was planning on building two different card modules, to occasionally be switched out to freshen up the display, but the one I bought from Modular Models--with its multi-segment construction--has been a pain to put together. I'd gotten it to a point where it was looking good...and then dropped it on the floor, where it shattered. I've pretty much given up on it, and am sticking with the PNT Models cargo module which came with the tug conversion kit.

Well, last night, I finally finished the painting of the tug, and was removing the masking...and it fell on the floor. One of the nacelles broke off, and both pylons are hanging by a thread. This is gonna be a major repair job, and I'm almost at the point where I'm tempted to start over from scratch, because that might be easier. Due to the design, there are tight spaces in the nooks and crannies of the pylon-to-saucer connection which would be easier to fill and sand if the model wasn't already assembled and painted. ARGH!

On the flipside, the PHASE II model is coming along really nicely. Still working on the nacelles, which need a lot of accurizing. Once they're done, final assembly and painting should move swiftly. 

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Ouch! Sorry to hear that Greg. You've been working on that Tug almost as long as this thread has been around. 

You work on accurizing the Phase II reminds me of Tank or airplane modelers that will spend hours or accurizing those things. But because Sci-fi is not real it gets looked down upon. 

Working on the NX-01 refit right now. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yeah, some people don't care about accuracy. Me, I'm (obviously!) a rivet-counter. A few people have complained that the PHASE II kit can't have inaccuracies, because A) It's a fictional spacecraft; B) The visual effects model was never finished and never made it to air. 

Well, there are photos of the model under construction, as well as Jefferies' blueprints. Combined with Dave Shaw's research (including discussions with the people who worked on the original model), there's more than enough information to pin down what the model would likely have looked like, had it been completed.

Unfortunately, there have been a whole bunch of fan interpretations of the design, which muddy the waters. Most of them incorporate TMP Refit design elements into the design to fill in the gaps, which misses the point. The PHASE II ship was supposed to be a literal refit of the TOS ship. Mostly the same (although Jefferies played with the shapes and proportions of the saucer and secondary hull), but with new engines and a few other odds and ends.

Anyway, I'm still fuming over the tug. I can't decide whether to start over or try and salvage it. 

I've also done some work on my own NX Refit, but I might need a new upper saucer, since I did some modifications I'm not entirely happy with.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2017 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Coming along on the PHASE II model. It's shaping up very nicely.

I've also decided to rethink my own NX refit build, to the point of getting another kit to start mostly from scratch, in terms of some of the modifications I want to make. Unfortunately, the kit seems rather rare, at this point, which is a bummer.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2017 at 11:11pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

They have a Gerry Anderson feel about them.

Is that a good or a bad thing in your opinion?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 04 April 2017 at 4:51am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

They have a Gerry Anderson feel about them.

Is that a good or a bad thing in your opinion?

It's not a judgement call.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2017 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It's not a judgement call.

Okay, I was just curious if you might like them as well or not.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2017 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well, I managed to snag another NX refit kit on eBay--for twice the original retail price. Jeez. I wonder why these things are so scarce.

It almost feels like blowing big money on a hooker behind a spouse's back. I'm not exactly a fan of ENTERPRISE, and buying a model of the NX-01 feels like "cheating" on TOS. Wrong...yet strangely exciting.

That said, the design--especially Drexler's refit version--has really grown on me. I still prefer the Daedalus class as a proper precursor to Kirk's ship, but I've come to appreciate the design theory and aesthetic of the stupidly-named NX class.

And, it feels more okay if I can psychologically distance the model from ENTERPRISE if I make a few tweaks and name it something other than "Enterprise". That sorta-kinda works.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Nearing completion on the PHASE II Enterprise. Just need to apply the decals and do a bit of detail painting. It's turning out quite well. I've fallen quite in love with the design. It really does work as a legitimate refit of the TOS ship (aside from the liberties Jefferies took with the saucer diameter and secondary hull shape). Sleeker, more streamlined, more refined, but still clearly the same technology in play. 

It really is the missing link between the TOS design and the more radical redesign that ended up in TMP.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Space, the final frontier. These are the new voyages of the Starship Enterprise. Its next five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before...again!

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 28 April 2017 at 2:37pm

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Wow, that's fantastic, Greg!  Bravo!

So do you know what is going on the with the Star Trek Licence? I see Moebius has the JJ-Trek. Round 2 seems to just doing new spins on old kits? Am I missing something? 

Progress on the NX-01 has stalled. Too many other things to build .

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 2:54am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Nice work there Greg, well done

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

So do you know what is going on the with the Star Trek Licence? I see Moebius has the JJ-Trek. Round 2 seems to just doing new spins on old kits? Am I missing something? 
++++++

Yeah, Moebius has the AbramsTREK license, and just announced a 1:350 U.S.S. Franklin kit, from BEYOND (a film I still haven't seen). I don't imagine there being a lot of fan interest in that kit, but I guess we'll see how it goes. I'd think the Kelvin would make more sense, since it's a fairly popular design (and pretty much the only Abrams ship which comes even somewhat close to a TOS-ish aesthetic).

Meanwhile, Round 2 is mostly just repopping older kits, but is still releasing the occasional new tooling.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

The Franklin is actually a very cool looking ship.  It takes the basic elements of the NX-01, and then makes them work far better.

Moebius has announced that the Enterprise will be their third or fourth release.  I was very surprised it was not their first release, but maybe they want to avoid comparisons with the Revell kit.  Yet the good news is that they are planning at least 4 kits.  If I had to bet money, I would guess Kelvin and Vengeance will be releases 2 and 3.

Wonderfest occurs the first weekend in June.  R2 has hinted they will be announcing a new 1/1,000 Star Trek kit at that show.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Moebius has announced that the Enterprise will be their third or fourth release.  I was very surprised it was not their first release, but maybe they want to avoid comparisons with the Revell kit.  Yet the good news is that they are planning at least 4 kits.  If I had to bet money, I would guess Kelvin and Vengeance will be releases 2 and 3.
++++++

I have to wonder what scale they would go for, in terms of the JJprise. Revell's 1/500 kit is a good size. 1/350 wouldn't be feasible, since it would be, like, 12 feet long. 1/1000 wouldn't be bad.

Of course, I have no interest in any of the JJ ships.

I do wonder what Round 2 is gonna announce. I already have resin models of most of the designs that I like in 1/1000, but if they do a bang-up job with, say, a K'Tinga, then perhaps I'll upgrade to styrene. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Switching gears to the movie era, I've been working on the 1/1000 Enterprise, Reliant, and Excelsior.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Still haven't gotten back to Trek. Been working on Buildings and such for tabletop miniature games. And painting some 28mm Samurai.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2017 at 10:13pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Round 2 recently announced a 1/1000 Defiant, from DS9.

I'm still working on my latest builds, with most of my focus going to the Excelsior.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2017 at 10:42pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I stumbled upon this video (broken up into four parts, and running nearly two hours in total) of a Wonderfest panel with Gary Kerr and other members of the Enterprise studio model restoration team discussing the project. Very cool and informative, for those (Like me!) who love the nitty-gritty details of such things.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2017 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Part 1:

(Stealing a scene from Monty Python)

Lee Staton: "It's only a model."

Audience: "Shhh!"

Thanks for posting that link Greg. Enjoyed seeing this.

Ron Goad
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2017 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Too bad Photobucket sucks so bad...

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2017 at 9:45pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Been hard at work on the Excelsior. Suffered a major setback with the decals, so I've been working to correct the problem. More on that when--if?--I finish the model.

Been having a good time, though. I'd describe the Excelsior as "beautifully ugly". From certain angles, it looks quite nice. From others, it's hideous. Of course, it was intended to be a sort of Japanese-influenced, over-designed parody of the Enterprise, and was treated as something of a joke in STAR TREK III. Of course, due to tight budgets, it later not only became legitimized as Sulu's ship, but was also a workhorse of TNG, which means that design was in service for nearly a century, and so really was a good starship design. 

Anyway, I've been having such a good time that I strayed a bit off the beaten path, and snagged an original-issue Enterprise-B kit For a mere $20. Amazingly, despite being reissued by Round 2 in 2011, the newer version of the kit is a lot harder to find than the original kit from 20-plus years ago! Now, I'm no great fan of GENERATIONS, but I am intrigued by the Enterprise-B design. Like the Excelsior it was spawned from, it has a certain ugly elegance, and the differences from its predecessor make it just interesting enough to be worth building. Eh, why not? It's a nice change of pace from TOS-era ships.

I've occasionally considered getting a TNG era model or two, but those designs just don't quite "speak" to me. I've stuck with the TOS and TOS-movie era ships because those are the iterations of the franchise that I have a deep emotional connection with. GENERATIONS represents the sad and depressing tail-end of that connection (although "my" TREK really ends with STAR TREK VI), so I guess the Enterprise-B gets a pass.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 24 June 2017 at 9:47pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2017 at 12:50am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

...I hadn't opened the Enterprise-B kit until after that last post. I'd been planning on contacting Round 2 to see if I could get some of the updated and accurized parts which were included with the 2011 re-release. Well, imagine my surprise--and good luck--when I opened the box. 

Included along with all of the original parts are an extra set of secondary hull parts (as well as an extra pair of nacelles), which are clearly from the reissued kit. So, all I need now are the revised lower saucer and the inner hangar bay that goes into the lower secondary hull, which are both currently in production as parts of the revised Excelsior kit. That makes things easier.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2017 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

very cool news Greg! I love extra bits like that.  No progress for me still. Painting 2" tall space men takes up my hobby time at the store. And listening to the audio verstion of 50 years of trek the first 25 years. 

Watched GENERATIONS and I do like the -B more than I used to perhapsit's because next to anything that's come out this millennium. I built the 1/2500 cadet never made it to decals or base. 

Keep up the good work! 

<< Prev Page of 56 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |