Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek << Prev Page of 56
Topic: More Star Trek Models from Round 2 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2017 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Still coming along. I'm currently in decal purgatory. Since neither the official nor aftermarket decals get the window patterns on the Excelsior's secondary hull correct, I've had to resort to cutting out individual windows and carefully placing them one (or several) at a time. Tedious work, to say the least.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I hate decals with the passion of Hades himself! When I did my Yorktown refit I only got about a third of the decals on. Probably should have left the neck for last. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2017 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Finishing up the Excelsior. It's been a bear of a project. However, the experience will prove very useful on the Enterprise-B.

Meanwhile, I picked up Eaglemoss' DESIGNING STARSHIPS hardcover book, which collects the behind-the-scenes content from the magazines which come with their miniature starship models. Great stuff.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2017 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Prepare for warp speed, standby transwarp drive.

- Transwarp at your command, sir.

Execute.

whup-whup-whup-whup-*CLUNK*

The first two images showcase my near-disaster. While doing some paint-masking, some chunks of the big "U"-shaped decal on the saucer CAME OFF. I had to strip ONLY that section, repaint, and re-decal with replacements sent by Round 2. A close call, to say the least. So glad this thing is done!

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2017 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Oooohh very nice! Almost enough to make me want to work on my refit some more. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2017 at 12:30am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Shifted gears and fixed something that's been nagging me. 

The model of the Constitution class Hood that I'd completed some time ago ended up suffering from some serious decal silvering problems (where micro-air bubbles are trapped between the model's surface and the clear decal carrier film, resulting in a silvery-looking effect when viewed from certain angles), mostly on the secondary hull. 

I was annoyed by this glaring defect on an other wise nice buildup, so I resolved myself to carefully strip the decals from ONLY the secondary hull (using careful applications of masking tape and sanding to pull them up), and re-decal those areas. There was some minor paint damage, as a result, but, after repainting, I successfully applied the new decals. The final result looks much better than the original attempt. I can only assume the first batch of decals were flawed, or my clear gloss-coating and/or decaling technique was imperfect.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2017 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

During last nights theatrical showing of TWOK, I couldn't help thinking during some of the USS Enterprise slow flyby sequences...

"Wow, I bet Greg Kirkman is looking these same scenes on the big screen, mentally checking to see if he missed anything on his Refit model..."

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 11 September 2017 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Greg is giving me nightmare flashbacks to building the original AMT model. There, the decal for the primary hull was one big piece -- to be spplied to a RIBBED surface!!
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2017 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Greg is giving me nightmare flashbacks to building the original AMT model. There, the decal for the primary hull was one big piece -- to be spplied to a RIBBED surface!!
+++++++

Yeah, that's worse than engraved panel lines, in terms of potential for silvering. All we have to examine is the episode itself, but it does appear that the studio's modelbuilder sanded off the gridlines from an AMT kit to make the Constellation for "The Doomsday Machine".

Also, the early releases of the AMT kit had the ship's upper saucer registry number with the proper kerning/curving on the decal sheet, meaning lots of clear carrier film in-between the letters and numbers to provide that nasty silvering. The later editions of the kit (including my first kit, in the mid-90s) had the big saucer registry letters/numbers as individual decals to be applied one at a time, but also in a much less accurate font).

I can't sing the praises of Pledge's acrylic floor polish enough. It can be applied by airbrush, and provides a nice, glossy coat, which is perfect for avoiding silvered decals. Since I started using it for clearcoats, I've had minimal silvering, with the Hood model being the only real anomaly.

And, for those keeping track, I'm getting very close to being the first and only kid on my block to have models of all 12 TOS-era Constitution class ships, plus a few extras. Working on the Republic and the Mirror universe's I.S.S. Enterprise, right now. After that, it's just the Exeter, Intrepid, Excalibur (with appropriate battle damage), and, finally--FINALLY--the production/style Enterprise, herself.

I've gotten into the habit of doing minor variations and using different techniques for each model, so they don't all look identical, save for name and number. In-universe, they'd probably look pretty much the same, but there is a precedent for real-world Navy ships of the same class to have different equipment, or for some to be refitted more extensively than others. It's been fun. Which is the point!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 56
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |