Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 170
Topic: Speaking of video games... Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Preared to play Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn and What Became of Edith Finch next (I'm catching up and two of those are on sale right now.)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 23 October 2020 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've read mixed to bad reviews of DEATH STRANDING, so I'm curious to read your reaction.  HORIZON ZERO DAWN is one of my favorite games of the PS4 generation.  I think it's an amazing achievement in both character and visualization.  Really looking forward to the sequel that's soon to drop.  
Back to Top profile | search

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security

Negative Mod

Posted: 24 October 2020 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I was looking forward to Death Stranding until I started reading about
it...interest has dropped to zero
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 1:19am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

GHOST OF TSUSHIMA: LEGENDS is a really fun multiplayer.  As I mentioned a page back, Bob and I have been playing the story version which is just two player.  It's definitely tactical.  There's a ton of planning that's needed before tackling a given objective, which I find fun.  It's reminiscent of SNIPER ELITE.  You can't charge into a map and expect to live especially when you start advancing in levels where the game doesn't allow you unlimited tries.  In other words, the more difficult the level the fewer bites at the apple you get until you have to start from scratch.  It's definitely different from the core game yet somehow similar if that makes any sense.  More mystical than the core game.  

We haven't dipped our toe in the Survival mode yet, but may try that when we play again this week. 

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2020 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm tackling Horizon Zero Dawn first then Death Stranding, hopefully I like it!
Horizon Zero Dawn is pretty fun so far. I'm having control confusion having played Tsushima recently and going to Zero Dawn but I like it.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 12:07am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Started playing WATCH DOGS: LEGION late last week.  As a third installment in the franchise, it's definitely got a ton going for it.  For those unfamiliar with the game, nearly everything is hackable: computers, tablets, vehicles, drones, security cameras, ATM machines.  You point your cursor at it and 9 times out of 10 you can hack it. The puzzles are fun and get more complex the deeper into the game you play.  The myriad ways to infiltrate a mission, from full stealth to balls-to-the-wall, are fun.  Traveling around the world is a breeze either via fast travel points, zipping around atop a cargo drone or driving a car (either manually or on auto drive). Combat is easy and intuitive.  Stealth, the preferred method to play, is a joy.  

All that said?  It all feels a little soulless because of the hard left turn this installment took.  Instead of playing one character throughout the campaign and thus learning what drives them to join DedSec (the hacker group protagonists fighting the good fight), there is no main character here.  You can literally play as anyone.  A big part of the game is recruitment. You need a DedSec member to infiltrate Buckingham Palace?  Recruit a member of the Queen's Guard to do so undetected.  You need to get into the Kelly Gang's stronghold?  Recruit one of their members to gain an advantage.  If you don't want a certain type of drone to follow you when you're racing away from the scene, recruit someone who doesn't attract Chase Drones.  That sounds fun in practice, but it also keeps a distance from the player and game.  I'm not as heavily involved in the fight if it just takes a single mostly self-centered mission to convince someone who is on the fence to join.  

I guess what I'm saying is that although the pieces are fun, the game lacks soul.  It's hard to root for the random street performer I may recruit to the team just because he/she can evade pursuit if I don't ever know why they decide to join the fight.  I expect that from the Tom Clancy games where character is virtually nonexistent.  I don't really expect it from a game like this where the stakes, as set up in the opening, are very high for all concerned.  GTA.  ASSASSIN'S CREED. GHOST OF TSUSHIMA.  They all concern characters fighting either to gain control or to liberate a country.  You follow their journey because you end up caring about them, often deeply.  That's why, as much fun as it has been so far, LEGION feels a step below not only the gold standard of the games I mentioned, but of its own franchise.  While I appreciate the technological complexity of having nearly every character be a playable one, it comes at the expense of caring about any of them.   

That's my two cents.  Worth the price of admission if you know what you're getting into.   

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 12:12am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Sitting on a PS5 preorder because of FOMO, but I don't know if I want to hold out for an eventual Pro version. The only PS5 game I need to play right now is Miles Morales, and there's a PS4 version.

Edited by Michael Roberts on 12 November 2020 at 12:12am

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 12:24am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I get ya.  The storage (or lack there of) for the PS5 is a real bummer especially considering the PS4 Pro comes with a bigger storage capacity.  I want to play the newest HORIZON: ZERO DAWN, but that too will be available on PS4.  Not sure I want the headache of trying to be the first out of the gate.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 12:31am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I will say, however, that I don't think I'll wait for the Pro version of the PS5.  It took three years from the launch of the original PS4 in 2013 to get the PS4 Pro in 2016.  I'll more than likely pick up the 5 after the start of the year when supplies have a chance to stabilize, but I won't wait until 2023/2024 for the Pro version.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 170
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |