Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 64 Next >>
Topic: Speaking of video games... Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Steam has a summer sale going on. Started June 24th, ends July 4th. They have tons of discounts on games AND daily specials. I picked up Left4Dead Game of the Year Edition for $6.80 last night *. The specials change at either noon or 1pm EST - I forget which. Some games are even discounted 75% off!

I'm hoping they have Borderlands as one of the daily specials before its over with.

* Left4Dead 2 was on sale as a daily special several days ago, but I forget how much it was; I didn't buy it.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 01 July 2010 at 6:38am
Back to Top profile | search | email

Robert Walsh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Just picked up Lego Harry Potter.

You can see them trying something a little different here with you learning spells and how to mix potions, but three levels in and the only combat I've seen has been the Troll In The Bathroom, which is a typical boss fight where actual attacks don't work.

I finished the first level without realizing that I had gotten out of the hub system, which sort of shows you the major flaw of the game thus far. Hopefully it gets better or it grows on me.

I wish they had a more centralized hub system. One thing the original Star Wars games had was a very easy to use central hub, something that has gotten more and more complicated with each installment. It's probably on par with the first Indiana Jones, where stuff is spread out all over, but isn't too hard to find once you get the hang of it. Not like Indy 2 where you were trekking all over the hub looking for characters and level entrances.
Back to Top profile | search

Glenn Brenner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yeah I have the same problems with "Dead Eye". There is a scene during one of the missions where a bad guy has a gunto a womans head and shoots her almost immediately after you kick openthe door, I had to replay that several times until I got "Dead Eye"right.

After a few times, I just climbed around the house and shot him in the back through the window behind him!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Robert Walsh wrote:
And I come close to not liking the vehicle levels.

Agreed.  Those were the most frustrating to me. They were also the most frustrating to me with Lego Star Wars. Many of the vehicles in both games are hard to control for me and I got very frustrated trying to run over the Lego pieces you have to collect before they disappeared. That's why I was apprehensive about the vehicle levels of Lego Batman, but I've ended up liking those a ton.  What they did differently with that game is that you didn't have to run over the Lego pieces to get them.  As soon as you destroyed something, they were added to your total ala the bonus 1,000,000 levels of the Indy games.  I like that a ton. 

Dwayne Gassmann
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The thing I enjoyed about the Lego Indy 2 game was the way you could move about the levels. Getting into a plane and flying around was fun for me. One of the things that I found disappointing was the amount of customizing you had to do to complete the game. Not a big fan of that sort of thing and I still have not finished it 100%.

Edited by Dwayne Gassmann on 06 July 2010 at 10:17am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Steam has Borderlands on sale today for less than $11. The DLC for it is also on sale.

I bought the game and the General Knoxx DLC, but its going to take a long time to download (I assume the download servers are clogged due to the sale).

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 7:17pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm sorry, but could you expalin what the hell "Steam" is?  I have no idea what you're talking about.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member

L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It's an online game platform/store.

Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Steam is an on-line shop for buying PC games, as well as
sort of a social networking kind of system for users. I'm
not sure, but I think it was started by Valve for
distributing it's own games, but it seems to have grown
waaaay beyond that!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Ah, thanks for the info, guys.  It's for PC games.  I'm a console guy, so it's a no-go for me!

Robert Walsh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2010 at 3:20am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The Pod Race in the original release of Star Wars I was crazy hard (it's one of the bonus missions on the Complete Saga). Can't tell you how many times I just barely failed to reach a checkpoint in time.

Even worse, the number of times I was ahead at the end of the race and still "lost" because I didn't cross the checkpoint fast enough.

As for Harry Potter, I finished the story. Action picks up a bit in Goblet Of Fire, but not by too much. Apart from falling off of things, I haven't died very much while playing. They've got a bazillion playable characters, with each level hiding three. There's also a bunch in the Hogwarts hub... it's got a weird double-hub system with Diagon Alley housing the level selection, character purchases, etc.; while the story (and lessons) flows out of the Hogwarts hub (which you can revisit after finishing the story).

And we have The Doctor as playable character... an evil playable character at that. You can use him to kill that annoying kid from Twilight.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2010 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

PC gamer here.  Playing Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir right now.  About to start Dragon Age: Origins.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2010 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Just finished Mass Effect 2. Great game and deserving of
all the "best of" awards.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2010 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Just finished Mass Effect 2. Great game and deserving of
all the "best of" awards.

++++++++++++++++++++

Which class did you play as, and did everyone survive?

Edited by Brian Floyd on 03 July 2010 at 8:22pm

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2010 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I've been enjoying Lego Harry Potter, but now that you mention it, there really isn't much in the was of action. Even the Slytherin's seem to just giggle in the corner. 

Robert Walsh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2010 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Hogwarts is huge. I figured I had been just about everywhere when I played story mode... nope, still finding unexplored rooms.

I still wish they had upped the action up a bit, not Star Wars or Indiana Jones crazy, but for the first time in Lego history I had more than enough money to buy invincibility and I didn't bother.

Corey Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2010 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Just bought Super Mario Galaxy 2. The first one was a blast, and this one appears to be more of the same. One of the best platformers I've ever played!

Robert Walsh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2010 at 5:25am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Anyone here played LittleBigPlanet. I've been half-ignoring it forever, if only because it seems like Sony desperately wants me to pay attention to it.

I'm not a big fan of platforming games (a bit of Mario back in the NES days), but it looks like it has a bit of Lemmings in it, with the ability to manipulate the environment and that intrigues me. Not sure about the level editing aspect of the game, as I tend to get bored creating levels very, very, very quickly.

Brian Burnham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2010 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

On the WII playing Lego Star Wars (Complete Saga) with my 4 year old son.  (He has also taken over most of my actual Legos as well but it's worth it to see the joy he has with them.)  He is actually far better on the vehicle levels than I am.  Kinda funny.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2010 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

LBP has some clever ideas about an internal logic approach to using "real" materials to build features and set pieced in video game levels, and some 'warped' physics simulation to travel and manipulate it. The music is really nice and eclectic, a lot of the art is very cool. 

BUT

I didn't have that much fun playing it, trying to make levels for it, OR downloading user made levels to try out. The jumps feel a bit floaty and at times it can be a bit frustrating because of that. Grabbing things can be a bit inconsistent (which might be a bluetooth issue).

I played through it once, mucked about with it for a few more hours and felt like I was very done with it. It worked best in smallish does of about an hour at a time with a little break before you go back to it.

I think it's a worthy experiment, and people who like building levels will get a lot more out of it than I did. But I enjoyed 'New Mario Bro.s Wii' and Super Mario Galaxy 1 &2 a lot more. I'd mention the Ratchet and Clank: Future games, but they feel more like third person shooters with some platforming and puzzles to me, than platformers with some third person shooting and puzzles in it. 

Edited by Emery Calame on 05 July 2010 at 9:21pm

Robert Walsh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2010 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I played the demo of LBP... it's certainly charming and I love the Stephen Fry narration, but it just doesn't seem like a game I want to play.

And while I enjoy customizing my own little guy, I'm afraid I don't see the point of decorating the world around me. It looks like they reward you for doing so, but seems odd to decorate an environment that you're going to abandon upon completion of the level.

Dwayne Gassmann
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2010 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I liked LBP because it played like a Mario game, which I am a big fan of. When it comes to customizing, I can take it a little. I did find myself going back to fully complete levels in order to get new costumes. Creating my own levels doesn't appeal to me at all.

The more I see of the Marvel content, the more I want to pick up the game again.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2010 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

The only chance I get to play video games is during air travel.  Played a lot of the first Disgaea game for the PSP last week.

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2010 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

We picked up Toy Story 3 for the DS prior to vacation and Lego Harry Potter for the PS3 while on vacation.  My son finished TS3 and thought it was very fun.  He was disappointed that it didn't have the Toy Box mode that the console versions have.  He couldn't wait to get home to play LHP.  He's currently playing it now and is having a blast.  Lego hasn't made a bad game yet.

Robert Walsh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2010 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Lego hasn't made a bad game yet.

Indy 2 was the closest. It was fun, but I missed searching for items in the levels. Thought the massive hub system had potential, which I think Harry Potter has proven by breaking it into smaller areas so the scavenger hunt isn't quite so tedious.

I would love to see something along the lines of Lego Star Trek, where they Legoize various television episodes. A Lego Doctor Who is probably too much too ask for, but that would be fun just to see what individual powers they give the Doctors (I'd say Colin Baker would have the ability to blind people with his coat).

And Lord Of The Rings would be amazing.

<< Prev Page of 64 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |