Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 75 Next >>
Topic: Speaking of video games... Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

RESIDENT EVIL 2 was the first and only game I played on a PC. 

I don't think the first two were ever equalled. 
Back to Top profile | search

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2018 at 3:03am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Alone in the Dark was a big influence on Resident Evil as was Capcom's own Sweet Home, a survival horror RPG on the Nintendo Famicom.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2018 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Worth a read (SPACE INVADERS):

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2018 at 2:15am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Great read, cheers Robbie.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2018 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Issue #180 of UK magazine RETRO GAMER, which will be out on the 19th April, will have an article on Spider-Man. This is the blurb:

How Marvel's web-slinger overwhelmed gamers when he swung onto Sega's consoles.

Should be interesting!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2018 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Look at this 1993 cover:

Source: LINK

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

CVG was such a great mag. One of the first UK publications to cover the Japanese console scene.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2018 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I always thought that "generalist" magazines covering numerous consoles were a hard sell. 

I could be wrong, but statistically speaking, aren't there likely to be more folk who own one console than those who own many? 

I didn't always buy generalist magazines. Back in the early 2000s, I only had a PlayStation, so picking up a magazine that also covered Xbox and Nintendo games didn't appeal to me.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm looking forward to this, having enjoyed THEME HOSPITAL:

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Anyone played through FAR CRY 5 yet?  I'm a big fan of the franchise, but I gotta say that the ending not only came out of left field but it was pretty horrible all the way 'round.  Interested in having an inviso-text discussion with those that have finished it.  

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Theme Hospital was bloody brilliant Robbie and the fact that both Mark Webley and Gary Carr are working on Two Point Hospital has me very eager for the game.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2018 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Going back to your point about multi format magazines Robbie, CVG was one of the biggest and longest running mags in the business.

Certainly myself and my friends of that era enjoyed reading about all the systems and not just about the ones we owned.

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2018 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Anyone played the latest God of War? I hear it is awesome! Most reviewers have giving it a 10. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 25 April 2018 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

GoW is in my Amazon queue.  I'll probably pull the trigger on it today based on the universally great reviews I've read.  Never played a game in the franchise, but I read that this is a good jumping on point for someone like me.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2018 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Iím interested in God of War, but I get the impression that itíll have an eventual Game of the Year edition, so Iíll wait for that.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Worth a read:

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2018 at 12:16am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Going back to that Computer and Video games issue Robbie, the one with the Turner cover, I read an interview with the editor who mentioned it was their lowest selling issue ever!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2018 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

It doesn't surprise me.

Long-term readers and subscribers would no doubt enjoy it, but a casual reader may glance at that and think it is a history magazine.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2018 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Latest issue of RETRO GAMER (UK) is out, with a feature on STREET FIGHTER, and THE SIMPSONS on the NES:

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Playing WITCHER 3 for the first time.  Never visited this franchise until now.  Although I'm somewhat enjoying it, I feel it lacking after having played DRAGON AGE: INQUISITION over a year ago.  That game was amazing with a tight story, deft controls and an intuitive progression system.  So far I feel like WITCHER is meandering with a ton of inconsequential side quests (often just fetch quests or button mashing fights).  Speaking of fights, the controls/default button setting leaves something to be desired and I'm not a fan of a limited progression where you have only so many slots to level up your character.

It's just an OK game that may or may not last me until RED DEAD 2 comes out this fall.  We'll see...

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Hey Matt,

Far Cry 5 is a mess narratively, it feels like the developers accidentally made a relevant story and then panicked and backed out. The systems are functioning constantly so the game pokes at you every minute or so to do something. It's empty but fun.

I had the inverse reaction to you with The Witcher 3 & DA:I. My wife and I loved the Witcher 3, and found the side quests on a whole (there are a ton of them) to be far more meaningful. We put nearly 150 hours into the Witcher 3 and I haven't been able to get out of the starting area of DA:I despite loving DA:O and DA 2. My wife actually asked me the other day to find her a game like W3 to play LOL

As an aside, I started playing State of Decay 2 using gamepass, which has been a great way to sample the game. It's basically a management sim with zombies and has me hooked.

RT 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Look at this:

Source: LINK

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I wish my Vectrex hadn't died, a real joy to play. You can't really properly emulate it either.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:55pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Robin Taylor wrote:
I had the inverse reaction to you with The Witcher 3 & DA:I. My wife and I loved the Witcher 3, and found the side quests on a whole (there are a ton of them) to be far more meaningful. We put nearly 150 hours into the Witcher 3 and I haven't been able to get out of the starting area of DA:I despite loving DA:O and DA 2. My wife actually asked me the other day to find her a game like W3 to play LOL

Long time, no talk buddy!

I'm getting more into THE WITCHER 3.  It's better than just OK...BUT...I'm just hung up on the jargon and the fetch quests.  I'm not a huge LotR fan, nor a fantasy fan in general, so I get hung up on the names for places, things and actions.  Maybe if I'd started this from the first game, it'd be different...but I don't think so as I started DRAGON AGE with INQUISITION.  That said, fine.  OK.  But so many of the secondary quests are fetch.  Go here.  Fight bandits.  Find a note.  Move on to the next bandit fight (and if you can't fast travel, it's a slog).  I literally just went through three iterations of that until I finally completed the quest and for what?  Little reward either through $$ or experience points and the "story" of the quest wasn't that great.  It was a secondary quest that was fairly close to my level, leaving me to wonder why I even did it in the first place.

I'll concede that it's becoming fun, but I'll also say that it's taken me 40+ hours to get to the "fun" such as it is.  I was "in" on the story of DA:I even though I hadn't spent a minute in that world.  Take that for what you will. 

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2018 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Hey Matt!

Yeah life has been kicking at me for a decade but that seems to be settling down. Like Neil mentioned in a different thread I find it difficult to engage with other online communities these days. I puke my thoughts on to twitter but when I really want to engage I always end up coming back here. It blows my mind we have been a community for nearly 20 years if you include the time prior to this site.

My mom died recently and really pulled my head out of my ass and made me reconsider what is important to me in terms of being part of the world, rather than collapsing inward, which I have been doing for over a decade.

Games are so subjective; I just can't find the hook to get me into DAI, but I did have history with all of the Witcher games.

RT

<< Prev Page of 75 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |