Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 254 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 January 2014 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

THE UNIMPORTANCE OF BEING OSCAR, a collection of biographical ramblings by Oscar Levant.
Back to Top profile | search

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member

L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 04 January 2014 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Oscar Levant

I don't know much about him, other than he knew Doris Day before she was a virgin.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2014 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

THE BIG BAM: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF BABE RUTH by Leigh Montville.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2014 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The new pulls thread for this week is gone, and I don't want to start a new thread but I finally was able to pick up JB's STAR TREK annual.  My LCS has been sold out every week since it came out and I picked up the last one they had on Friday. 

Loved it.  Even watching it come together in the thread did not do it justice.  It was so crisp and clear and warm.  And the story was great!  That's a homerun.  And a great thumb on the nose to NuTrek in my estimation.

Now if only there was a way to re-release FRONTIER DOCTOR as a fotonovel... there can't be but only a few scenes of bearded McCoy from TMP.  Or maybe JB should do a couple experimental single page fotonovel commissions!

Anyway, it's a must read for any TOS fan.  Or if you know any TOS fans, buy an extra copy for them.

Edited by Craig Robinson on 05 January 2014 at 8:10am

Brian Burnham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2014 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson

An account of the American Ambassador to Germany during Hitler's rise to power.  It is a fairly interesting read.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member

L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 09 January 2014 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY by Karleen Koen -- historical romance of the most melodramatic sort.

I read far more fiction than non-fiction, but I'm also reading CRAZY THING CALLED LOVE by Susan Braudy, a true crime account of the Woodward society shooting of the 1950s that was semi-fictionalized by Truman Capote and Dominick Dunne (the later which I read not too long ago.)

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2014 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Just re-read READING IN THE WILD by Donalyn Miller.  It's about how to use a classroom to create lifelong readers.

Just started THE REAL BOY by Anne Ursu.  Excellent book, may be a contender for the Newbery Award this year.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2014 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Just finished The Making of Return of the Jedi by Rinzler. The post-production phase sounds like it was a real headache. Anecdotes about Ken Ralston's decision to include his tennis shoe and a wad of gum in the space battle above Endor made me smile, as did ILM's presentation of said shoe to producer Howard Kazanjian as a leaving gift.

Now I've started reading Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 29 January 2014 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This one locked after only a couple of weeks for some strange reason.  Now...?  Unlocked!

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member

L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 29 January 2014 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Thanks, Matt. I never can figure out what triggers a thread to lock; it seems inconsistent.

Finished NOW FACE TO FACE, the sequel to the previously mentioned THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY.  This one was less historical romance and more political intrigue in the courts of the Stuarts and the Hanovers.

After that, Robert Bloch's PYSCHO.  I read this one many moons ago but I made the mistake of reading it right after watching the Hitchcock film, which overshadowed the novel.  It's been several years since I last saw the movie, and the novel was a much more enjoyable read.  Aside from the drastic change in Norman Bates -- in the novel he's an odd, pudgy, middle-aged man rather than the youthful and awkwardly shy Anthony Perkins -- the novel and film are pretty close in plot.

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2014 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Just finished DUTY by Robert Gates.  Very interesting book.  Starting a novel, THE ART FORGER, with connections to my home area of Boston and the Gardner Museum art heist.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2014 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm in the process of reading James Romm's Ghost On The Throne. For one such as myself who appreciates a little historiography about classical times, this take on the events and personalities that shaped the Hellenistic world following the death of Alexander the Great is quite entertaining and enlightening. In it, I can see a warning of what happens when someone with absolute power and overwhelming charisma passes without planning for that eventuality.

Once more, I'm reminded of George Santayana's proverbial warning, and wonder...

Edited by Carmen Bernardo on 30 January 2014 at 8:19pm

<< Prev Page of 254 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |