About family and political feuds in Breathitt Co. Ky
around the turn of the 19th century. My G.Grandfather was
a town marshall there and was shot and killed while on duty
in 1898.
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Anthony Llossas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2014 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Halfway through George R.R. Martin's "A Dance With Dragons".
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brett Stuart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2014 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

SACRED by Dennis Lehane. 

This is the third book in the Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro detective series and the best so far, in my opinion.  Published in 1997, it has a notable minor villain in the first half by the name of John Byrne.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member

L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 06 March 2014 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

THE MARTIAN intrigues me.

I'm not very far into it but my reaction has been mixed.  On the plus side it's an intriguing premise.  I can't confirm the legitimacy of the science, but so far nothing has set off an alarm of implausibility.  On the downside, I'm finding the 'voice' of the protagonist to be mildly annoying; he speaks like a twenty-something frat boy rather than a scientist and astronaut.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mark Tillson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2014 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Reading "Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher.  On audio I am listening to "War of the Worlds" by H.G. Wells.  This is my first H.G. Wells "book" and I'm finding it refreshing.

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2014 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A question for those that mention reading multiple books at one time in this thread.  How do you do it?  I get it in the sense that it's how we've had to watch television series before the advent of streaming and binge watching, but that was a product of how entertainment was delivered to us. As far as reading goes, when you have the entire story in the palm of your hands, I can't have three or four books going at one time.  I've always started and ended a single book before I've picked up another. I've got friends that have three books next to their bed and are reading all of them at the same time.  That's just such a foreign concept to me that I'm curious what it is about it that makes it entertaining.

I'm one of those people who usually has multiple books on the go but it's a habit I'm trying to break.  I tend to be reading a couple at a time, usually in completely different genres - at the moment it's Silence of the Lambs and The Bible: A Biography - but I usually wind up with three or four because my mood changes, or I need a book for the train and whatever I'm reading isn't something I'm happy to stuff into a bag so I pick something else, or I happen across something in a second-hand book store and start it immediately and let whatever I'm in the middle of sit for a while.

I guess it's just good to have choices that reflect my mood at the time.  Usually I can just switch back into those different modes.  The downside is that occasionally I'll come back to a book having got distracted by something else and I've forgotten what happened.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2014 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin.

When I recorded the first season of HBO's Game of Thrones my DVR managed to miss out literally half the episodes (which made for a challenging but not unenjoyable viewing experience). Consequently there is so much in the book that comes as a welcome filling-in of gaps.

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2014 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

SACRED by Dennis Lehane.

This is the third book in the Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro detective series and the best so far, in my opinion. Published in 1997, it has a notable minor villain in the first half by the name of John Byrne.

Brett - that Lehane series is one of my favorites as well. Just be prepared for a long delay between the end of PRAYERS FOR RAIN and the next novel in the Kenzie and Gennaro series... That said, Lehane's stand alone novels (which he published during the K&G "gap") are excellent. I recommend both MYSTIC RIVER and SHUTTER ISLAND as examples. And his new series set in Boston in the 20s and 30s is also worth a look.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member

L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 07 March 2014 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

THE MARTIAN.  No.  Just no.

This book is terrible.  While reading it, I find my body getting physically tense.  Not because the story is so exciting -- it's really very dry so far -- but because it's so annoying.  If my eyes roll any more, I think they'll end up on the floor.

There's no plot, just a lot of dull scientific nattering.  Even that I could get past if the only character wasn't so damned irritating.  He's like a second rate, late night talk show host.  He keeps saying dumb things like "Booyah!" and "Yay, Oxygenator!"  I feel like I'm stuck on Mars with Jimmy Fallon.

Blech!

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member

L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 08 March 2014 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Having prematurely aborted the last two books I've tried to read, I would like to get through one!  I just started THE WOLF'S HOUR by Robert R. McCammon.  His novel MINE! is one of my favorites and the first chapters are good, so I'm optimistic.  This one was recommended by Marc Woolman in another thread, so at least I have someone to blame if I don't like it!

Sean Watson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2014 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Read Fear Agent vol 1 HC yesterday by Remender. 

Highly recommend this series. Remender writes some awesome Sci/Fi. His Black Science series is really good too. Looking forward to vol 2 when it comes out next month which wraps up the series. Dark Horse did a nice job on these HC Library editions.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2014 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The Fall of the Roman Empire by Peter Heather.

Having been impressed by the depth of his book Empires and Barbarians that I read earlier last year, I thought I'd give his take on the events surrounding the collapse of Roman civilization 1,600 years ago another look. More focused on the events and personalities of the period than on the academic theories surrounding them, it's actually quite a good read. Heather promotes his own theory that the Romans didn't so much collapse from within, as they fell to evolving Germanic societies which were catching up to their level of cultural and technological development. I also see many parallels to today's world.

<< Prev Page of 254 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |