Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 254 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2013 at 10:24pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"Clockwork Angels" by Kevin J. Anderson with Neil Peart, read by Neil Peart

A young boy leaves his quiet peaceful village on a whim to explore the vast unknown world filled with magnificent clockwork metropolises and hidden cities of gold. Unfortunately he finds himself caught between the Watchmaker, who brings order to the world, and the aptly-named Anarchist.

Based on synopsis and songs by Rush drummer/lyricist Peart, this is a fun little novel in the steampunk genre, but nothing too out of the ordinary. Unfortunately, Peart's tone and cadence as he read this made it seem like he was reading to children, annoying to say the least.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2013 at 2:38am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Elric - The drinkers of souls. By Michael Moorcock and Fabrice Colin
Back to Top profile | search

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2013 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"In the Devil's Snare" by Mary Beth Norton, a look at the Salem Witch Trials.  A little dry but it's not a subject I know a whole lot of actual history about so it's interesting.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2013 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm about to start reading and rereading Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. What I mean is, I read most of them years ago, starting with Foundation but at the time Asimov had not yet written the two prequels, Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation. I just bought those two, so I'll read them and then probably reread the ones I read as a kid.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2013 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'll be interested in your reaction to the later Foundation books.  I enjoyed them, but in the end, I would have preferred it if Asimov hadn't tied together his Robot Detective series with the Foundation stuff . . . 

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2013 at 11:20pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm interested in hearing what any of your opinions about Foundation. As I said here a few pages back, I just couldn't get in to them at all.

Daniel Beziz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2013 at 4:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think it may be a question of age while reading the books.
I read the first three FOUNDATION novels in my teens and loved them. Especially the whole psycho-history concept fascinated me.

I re-read them a good 15 years later, with the idea of reading the next three. In the meantime, I had read the Robot detective series (which I enjoyed a lot, especially for the universe it described, more than the actual plots).
But I did not enjoy them this time. Not the first three, and neither the next ones. I couldn't really explain it, but what appealed to me in these books while a teen had disappeared. I think it maybe had something to do with writing quality (Asimov a great ideas, but he's not the strongest writer IMHO) and most probably my growing older...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2013 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm not sure either how I'll feel about Asimov's work this time around. I first read his stuff when I was very young. He was more or less my introduction to science fiction (after movies and TV like Star Trek) and I appreciated his clear, straightforward style because I wasn't yet ready for the more inventive, unpredictable styles of writers like Roger Zelazny, for example. I'll see if I like it this time, but I think it's worth revisiting. 

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2013 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I am rereading Walter Mosley's LITTLE GREEN even though it's only
been a few days since I finished it.

Frank Carchia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Hamlet, Romeo & Juliet.  Love to revisit these often.

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2013 at 10:06pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

So
PUMPED!

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2013 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"Inferno" by Dan Brown

Internationally renowned and hunky Harvard professor of symbology Robert Langdon is once again at the center of an art-related plot, this time by a narcissistic virologist who has hidden his plan to destroy humanity in the seminal work of Dante.

Oh, stop, you know you want to read this. Unfortunately, like most of Brown's other books, this is quite short on plot and heavy on running. One thing I noticed is Brown paces his books like really long TV shows: each chapter is a short scene which ends with a little cliff-hanger. Would only recommend this to people who *really* like Brown's books.

<< Prev Page of 254 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |