Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2014 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

THE TWO-BEAR MAMBO by Joe R. Lansdale
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2014 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

TUNE IN: THE BEATLES: ALL THESE YEARS by Mark Lewisohn.  A fascinating read. I'm up to 1960.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 February 2014 at 6:28am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

THE ADVENTURES OF PINOCCHIO by Carlo Collodi

First published in novel form in 1883, after being serialized in the previous two years, this "book for children" is VERY different from the Disney version with which I am sure most of you are familiar. Written, as noted, "for children" it reads almost as if written BY children.

There is only the whisper of any sort of plot thread, and events and characters come and go (sometimes dying and then reappearing) without any logic beyond what seems to be the author's momentary whim. Pinocchio himself, for instance, begins here as a talking log, with no apparent magic involved in him being in this condition. He KILLS the Talking Cricket (who is not given a name) when the bug tries to lecture him. The Cricket subsequently returns a few times as a ghost.

Pinocchio runs away, meeting along the way many different characters who somehow know his name without being told what it is, and eventually encounters an azure haired little girl who at first tells him that she is dead, then saves him from death at the hands of the Fox and Cat (who are not anthropomorphized here, tho other animals are), then dies herself of a broken heart when Pinocchio seems to have run away again. (Actually, he's spent four months in prison, for the crime of being robbed!) The little girl turns up later, alive without any explanation, but transformed into a full grown woman. How THIS happens, she says, is "a secret."

Strange stuff. I'm about halfway thru at this point, and shall continue. I expected the book to be different from anything I knew of the characters. I had no idea!

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2014 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB, is this the same book that has Pinocchio run afoul of a bully? If so, I used
to have a copy during my youth.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2014 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Nothing.

But...

Can somebody please recommend at least 2-3 books arguing the case for Shakespeare being the author of his works and at least 2-3 books arguing the case against him being the author? Been meaning to look into the Shakespeare authorship question for too long.

I'd prefer books that are in print as out-of-print books can cost over a hundred quid on some websites. But I want 2-3 accessible books for and against as I've been meaning to read up on this issue for an eternity.

Thanks. :)

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2014 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm new to the JBF after a long build up.

Currently finishing off ASK NOT by Max Allan Collins, the latest in his ongoing Nathan Heller PI series.

Prior to that I polished off TATIANA by Martin Cruz Smith (more Arkady Renko) and TONIGHT I SAID GOODBYE the debut novel by Michael Koryta.

Will write more as time allows. It's great to finally be able to jump aboard the JBF train after years waiting in the station.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 March 2014 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Reading a bio of Ian Fleming, published in England in 1995, but only now available over here.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2014 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Just finished Red Rising, a far future story about a slave born on Mars who has a shot at overthrowing a despotic ruling class. Liked it a lot. Am now reading a few...

Code Zero by Jonathan Maberry, a sequel to his terrific Patient Zero (germ warfare/terrorism where the victims become zombies)

Property of a Lady Faire by Simon R. Green (part of his Secret Histories espionage/thriller/fantasy mashup series) and

Walking Dead: Fall of the Governor Part 2.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2014 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

John Flanagan's THE EMPEROR OF NIHAN-JA

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member

L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 05 March 2014 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I gave up on THE SKULL AND THE NIGHTINGALE.  I can usually finish a novel in 3 to 4 days at only a moderate reading pace, but after three weeks I haven't made it more than 30% through this book.  Very slow, and I never have been too keen on epistolary novels.

I'm just starting Andy Weir's THE MARTIAN, which is supposed to be a 'realistic' tale of an astronaut left for dead on Mars, and his survival.  I'm no scientist but I'm a little skeptical that my Implausibility Detector isn't about to go berserk.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 05 March 2014 at 11:47pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

THE MARTIAN intrigues me.  I may pick it up on the cheap.

A question for those that mention reading multiple books at one time in this thread.  How do you do it?  I get it in the sense that it's how we've had to watch television series before the advent of streaming and binge watching, but that was a product of how entertainment was delivered to us. As far as reading goes, when you have the entire story in the palm of your hands, I can't have three or four books going at one time.  I've always started and ended a single book before I've picked up another. I've got friends that have three books next to their bed and are reading all of them at the same time.  That's just such a foreign concept to me that I'm curious what it is about it that makes it entertaining.

<< Prev Page of 254 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |