Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: If I Had a Time Machine - 02.03.12 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2012 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JB wrote:
I know of no other artist who took such care to make sure the shadows he drew matched the figure

Speaking of the shadows, the aspect of this commission that completely floors me is the care you took with the shadow cast by the grate overhead. The contoured shadow across Wolverine's body and even the added "depth" created by the darker value of the figure under the grate's shadow are jaw dropping. Take another pat on the back out of petty cash!!!
Back to Top profile | search

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2012 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Still like the old one but this is really well done.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2012 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

As ever when he appears, I am drawn to Wolverine's mask. I just love how you draw his mask and have not seen anyone, ever, draw it as good as you.

This takes me back to the days when he was my favourite character (I still think HE is, he's just not in any comics at the moment). He was cocky but you knew he wasn't as good as he thouht he was. However, you knew, at the end of that issue, someone was in for some serious pain.

A fantastic piece.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2012 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JB: One of the things I want to push with the tones, if any more such requests come along...

---

I have one... just trying to decide on which group of characters to ask for...

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2012 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

What a fantastic piece! I really need to read all these X-MEN stories so many commissions are based on. I was never a big fan growing up, and the work of Dave Cockrum and JB on X-MEN predated me. Having since discovered this site, though, I have really wanted to experience these stories. 

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 12:56am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm sure you would enjoy them, Rich! I recently reread JB's X-Men run (before he drew my X-Men "poster" commission) and I was amazed at how well those stories have aged. Really entertaining stuff... a bit "wordy" at times... but still a fantastic read! 

I am VERY surprised Marvel has never collected JB's run into one complete volume (or two).

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 2:54am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I am VERY surprised Marvel has never collected JB's run into one complete volume (or two)
++++
Well, there ARE a couple of Essentials doing just that. The second one has 120-143, the other the stories beginning with 108 till 119. I think it would be really hard to collect JUST the Byrne issues, as many plot threads come directly from the Cockrum run just before it.
And in any case, I think JB's X-Men run is extrememly well represented in trades, collections etc.

I love the use of grey tones in John's work.
As for the shadows on the example posted above, am I wrong to think that the girl running owards her grandmother has a wrongly depicted shadow? I think the legs in the shadow do not match the proper legs.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Davey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Wow a great commission from one of my favorite issues.

Makes me wonder where the Hellfire Club would have gone with JB's influence after this storyline.They never seem to have the same "punch" in the any of the subsequent stories. 

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Me: I am VERY surprised Marvel has never collected JB's run into one complete volume (or two)

++++

Thanos: Well, there ARE a couple of Essentials doing just that.

---

Nope. That's not what I'm talking about.

---

Thanos: I think it would be really hard to collect JUST the Byrne issues, as many plot threads come directly from the Cockrum run just before it.

---

I've never read the Cockrum issues before it... and I've had no problem following what is going on. JB's first issue recaps what happened before. The old "every issue is somebody's first issue" really did work back then. And if you truly had to... add a synopsis at the front of the book.

---

Thanos: And in any case, I think JB's X-Men run is extrememly well represented in trades, collections etc.

---

...but if all I want are the JB issues, I'd have to buy a collection or two that also contains a bunch of other issues besides JB's work.

Given how popular JB's run is on the title... and how often they reprint chunks of it (Dark Phoenix, Days of Future Past, even the Proteus storyline...), I am VERY surprised Marvel has never collected JB's run into one complete volume (or two). 

Joel Biske
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I laid out the piece in light pencil, then basically did the "finished pencils" with the gray tones. When they were done, I went in with the black pen.

That's very interesting to me, most of the artists I know would do the reverse. This certainly worked! Now I want to go pull out some markers and try it!

Joel Biske
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

And... I think this is a stunning example of why the "old" work is not always better. While the original is a strong page... the emphasis is on that last shot of Wolverine, which has become more than iconic at this point. And it was kind of typical of Marvel's style back then. The big reveal leading you to the next issue.

But the reimagining shows a much stronger sense of storytelling, the POV's and the way the eye gets led is brilliant!

One of the things as artists is the need for growth... I LOVE JB's X_MEN... It's in my top 3 story groups. While JB may cringe at his old work, its STILL some of the best work out there from that time period. While it may be "bad" now in the artist's eyes, it was still good, REALLY good work. 

Of course, the new stuff is WAY better....

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

That's very interesting to me, most of the artists I know would do the reverse.

=========

I imagine JB would have to do this to avoid the chance of smudging.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |