Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2012 at 2:25am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Nice!You Sir are a Time Machine.
Back to Top profile | search

Jeff Priester
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2012 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It amazes me that the big two won't do anything they can to get you back in the dance running major title(s).

---

JB: There's not really anything they CAN do. In the end, it comes down to a matter of trust -- they've lost mine. I cannot imagine anything they could do to win it back.

---

Some time ago, I've often wondered what can the big two do to lure you back on a project or even a series of covers. But as you've often had the carpet pulled from under you, I'm glad you're with IDW. I can also "hear" that you're happy there.

Edited by Jeff Priester on 05 February 2012 at 8:07am

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2012 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Awesome, love the gray tones, that's as good as it gets next to pure pencils, hopefully they get added to more commissions when future customers see how much they enhance a piece. Just love the shadows on Wolverine ,who I can't remember looking more frightening, and that Jean (why is everyone looking at the men?), you can just feel the (sexy) evil. Someone got a bargain with this one.

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2012 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Awesome! I'm normally not a huge fan of the re-imaginings...too much
a fan of the original to take a liking to the new version. But this...this Is
frickin' amazing! Definitely an improvement over the original...bravo sir!
And congrats to the commissioner!

Colin Fawcett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2012 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

That is simply stunning!

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2012 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

By the way, JB...really great job on this re-imagining.  That era of Uncanny X-Men is right out of my prime childhood years of wonder...I remember exactly where I bought #132 brand new off the rack (All-Star Comics, Hawthorne CA) and that whole Hellfire Club saga leading into the Dark Phoenix story...sigh...they just don't make 'em like that anymore.  Bravo; well-done.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 February 2012 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

…that whole Hellfire Club saga leading into the Dark Phoenix story...sigh...they just don't make 'em like that anymore.

••

And the main reason is, they too often TRY to make 'em like that.

As I have said many time, Chris and I had no idea we were building an "epic", a story that would "change the face of comics forever". We just wanted to tell an exciting tale.

Of course, "exciting" is a word a lot of writers and editors seem to have forgotten these days, too!

Drew Hart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2012 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I freely admit I'm one of the Philistines who doesn't appreciate B&W art as much as colored pieces, but I can honestly say I wouldn't have any other color touch that piece as it's a masterpiece as is.

Wow.

Well done, congrats to JB on continuing to improve on near perfection and to the recipient!

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2012 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Did you fully ink the piece before using the grey marker?  It would have been interesting to see before and after photos.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 February 2012 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Did you fully ink the piece before using the grey marker?

••

Wanting to make as much use of the grey tones as I could, in terms of defining textures and forms, I laid out the piece in light pencil, then basically did the "finished pencils" with the gray tones. When they were done, I went in with the black pen.

This is why I made a reference, upthread, to doing a piece with gray tones being a whole lot like drawing it twice.

One of the things I want to push with the tones, if any more such requests come along, is to diminish the use of black holding lines as much as possible. Wally Wood did some amazing work in MAD, using Craftint boards (a way of laying gray tones into the work) in which much of the form of many objects was held entirely with gray, no black line at all.

Here's an example:

This is only half a wide panel, but I wanted to post it as large as possible, so you could see what's happening with the tones. (That's also why it's sideways.) To fully appreciate his brilliance, note that there are only TWO gray tones in this, along with black and white.

Personal Note: I fell in love with Wood's "futuristic" drawings right from the start, especially his architecture (this piece is circa 1958). Today, I'm happy to report I actually live in a house not unlike the ones he used to draw, such as here. Alas, the rest of what he "predicted", like flying cars, did not come to be!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2012 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

That Wally really knew what he was doing, didn't he?

I'd really love to see you getting more into this type stuff, JB.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 February 2012 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

That Wally really knew what he was doing, didn't he?

••

No kidding! Altho Wood's figures occasionally tended to be stiff (in his non-cartoony, non-exaggerated work, at least), he more than made up for this in his sheer brilliance at, well, pretty much everything else!

For another example, from the panel above, take a look at the shadows cast by his characters. I know of no other artist who took such care to make sure the shadows he drew matched the figure. I'm not even entirely sure how he did it!!

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |