Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Sports Talk << Prev Page of 153 Next >>
Topic: Around The NBA Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2020 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Boston's recent uninspired loss to the Embiid-less 76ers (google his finger injury if you like large acute angles) suggests the Celtics need a change.  They've already overachieved with both Tatum and Brown blossoming All Star-ish 20+ PPG stats, Hayward's flashes of his pre-injury self (though not lately), Kanter having the 12th best league PER and Kemba Walker doing a decent drama free Kyrie Irving impersonation but the Celtics are unlikely to get by the best teams in May and June without a true center / more inside defensive presence.  The price of admission is probably giving up on Hayward (they don't need him with Brown and Tatum already there), another "bench player to be named later' plus some sort of first rounder (I'd hope their own as opposed to Memphis's). The dream is to get 27 y.o. Drummond who syncs perfectly age-wise but I'm guessing Detroit will want more (Marcus Smart) than Boston wants to let go.  The fear is Boston stands pat or settles on Danilo Galinari or Davis Bertrans, two big-ishes capable of scoring but adding very little defensively.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2020 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Funny interview. The Knicks fan makes a half-court shot
during half-time and all he gets is $1,000....in $5
scratch off tickets. He ended up with only $500, silver
dust all over the place and carpal tunnel. This is why I
hate the Knicks.

LINK
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2020 at 1:36am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Pretty embarrassing for an owner of a team pegged at a $3.6 bill valuation by Forbes 2 years ago.  The Lakers pay $100K and Jeanie Buss lavishly rewards people who are loyal to the organization by treating them to oversized contracts like Kobe who got an unexpectedly huge payday late after he gave his knees and body to LA for 19 years.  Jimmy Dolan gives out 1/100th that much in scratchers and is a pound foolish buffoon who punishes people loyal to the organization like Charles Oakley who gave his body to the Knicks for ten seasons and got treated to expulsion and banishment. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2020 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Raptors motoring along nicely this season, even with some
major injury troubles, thanks to Pascal Siakam and Norm
Powell finding new levels. Looking a lot stronger in the
last couple of games with the return from injury of
'Steady Freddy' VanVleet.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2020 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I love the Raptors.  Many of the youngsters have bloomed this year: Powell has basically doubled his offensive output and done it efficiently (51.4 FG%, 41.2 3%, 84.8 FT%) while rebounding and assisting more; VanVleet has made a similar leap offensively and totally maximizes his talent (just needs to up his FG%; he's great at threes), Anunoby has promise, Siakam is the reliable star they need. 

Speaking of youngsters, thrilling debut for Zion Williamson last night. After a modest start he scored 17 straight points in the fourth quarter including 4 for 4 on threes (he'd never hit that many in a game in his entire life).  18 minutes, 22 points on 8/11 shots, 7 rebs and 3 assists (one that was sweet.)  For a guy known for dominating the paint and muscling through players, if his outside shot remains credible, Zion's going to be incredible (stating the obvious).  

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2020 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Big 4 team 12 player trade results in Minnesota giving up Robert Covington to the Rockets, who trade Capela to the Hawks and give up another first rounder as the main big moves.  Atlanta is *gulp* waiving Chandler Parsons and his $25 mill expiring contract to create a space.  Bottom line, Houston is going all in on the small ball line-up, stretching the floor for their 3P shooters and still has $12 mill in cap space if they want to do something else before tomorrow's Feb. 6th trade deadline.

I wish Boston had been able to get Capela who is young and whose 13.8 rebounds and rim protection would have been great plus his $14.9 mill salary was a lot more palatable than going after someone like Drummond (too big a salary though I like him) or Iguodala (too old though I like him too). 

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2020 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Two more big trades:  GS sends DeAngelo Russell to Minn for Andrew Wiggins and two picks (protected 1st, 2nd).  Never understood why GS got Russell so not surprised they dealt him.

Clippers go all in on "win now" by trading for Marcus Morris (19.6 PPG career offensive year, gritty, can shoot 3s) and Isaiah Thomas (somewhat rehabilitated and shooting 3s really well) and only give up Moe Harkless, Jerome Robinson and a low first round pick.  Morris and Thomas are both unrestricted free agents so both could be mere 2.5 month rentals but I like the risk and can't see why they wouldn't stay if the Clips can find space for them.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2020 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Very close finish for the Raptors tonight, but they
managed to keep their winning streak going to a
franchise-record 14 games, despite playing back-to-back
games and missing Lowry, Gasol and Powell.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2020 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Off waivers the Clippers grab yet another solid player in G Reggie Jackson, a credible 3P shooter and 15 ppg offensive threat.  Second time in a row they nab a player I think the Lakers likely also wanted (LeBron may lead the league in assists but they sure could still use PG insurance). 

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2020 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The Knicks pull off one of their best wins of the season, but naturally that gets buried because James Dolan apparently targeted 28 year season ticket holder and Knicks uber fan Spike Lee and tried to make him leave the building and re-enter through a different entrance then lied about it after the fact. I'm thinking Dolan must be either a congenital idiot or a blatant racist (most likely both) because like him or hate him, Spike Lee has stuck with the Knicks through thick and thin (mostly thin) and has apparently shelled out almost 10 million inflation adjusted dollars for tickets over the decades. This is how they treat him? Lee says he won't attend another game this year and I don't blame him. I don't believe the Knicks' claims for one second; Lee says they are lying and I believe him given the way Dolan harrassed and abused Charles Oakley then blatantly tried to cover that up. Dolan's gotta go. link

Edited by Rick Senger on 03 March 2020 at 4:34pm

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2020 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Continuing Coronavirus fallout: tomorrow night's game between the Nets and the Warriors in the Chase Center will be played before an emtpy arena. Apparently the consensus between owners is that in the short term either the league suspends play indefinitely or plays games going forward in this fashion. Either way, it's going to be a financial bloodbath that underlines the seriousness of what the WHO has now officially labeled a pandemic.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 11 March 2020 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

NBA suspends the season. 

“A player on the Utah Jazz has preliminary tested positive for COVID-19,” the NBA’s statement read. “The test result was reportedly shortly prior to tip-of of [Wednesday’s] game. At that time, [Wednesday’s] game was canceled. The affected player was not in the arena. The NBA is suspending game play following the conclusion of [Wednesday’s] schedule until further notice. The NBA will use this hiatus to determine next steps for moving forward in regard to the coronavirus pandemic.”

<< Prev Page of 153 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |