Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Sports Talk << Prev Page of 54
Topic: Around The NBA Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2017 at 4:39am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I love what Minnesota has done with their offseason.

Boston lands Hayward. The team with the best regular
season record in the East adds the #3 pick in the draft
(Tatum) and gets an all-star in free agency. Looks to
be a two-team race in the East and Boston should have
the firepower to make it a more legit competition. Plus,
Cleveland ain't gettin' any younger.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2017 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It was shades of DeAndre Jordan for a second, but Boston got their man. 

This reverses a disturbing trend in which almost all of the top signings involved Western teams (Curry, Griffin, George, Butler, Durant, Millsap, Paul, Teague) and many involved East to West migrations (George, Butler, Millsap, Teague.)  Atlanta has totally imploded, going from 61 wins a couple years ago to a pure rebuild.  Inexplicably they've given up most everyone from their core including Korver, Horford, Teague, Howard and Millsap in less than two years and I see little comparable value in return. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2017 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'd add that 28-win Philly now intrigues me in the East.  The Process has drafted too much young talent to ignore and assuming Simmons can play this year, he joins fellow #1 picks Embiid and Fultz along with runner up ROY Saric and Jahlil Okafor.  With the East losing some talent this offseason, I see Philly as a playoff threat that should only improve as the youngsters mature.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2017 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Totally agree about Philly. Philly and Minnesota should
be fun to watch.

The Bucks are my sleeper team. Giannis is a legit MVP
contender and I expect Maker to move into a full-time
role. With the rest of the East pretty weak I think
they could make some noise.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2017 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I cannot believe I'm saying this but I am actually looking forward to seeing a Sixers game.

Back to Top profile | search

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2017 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

With Atlanta, Indiana and Chicago all rebuilding, Milwaukee is certainly a playoff team or more with Giannis, Jabari Parker, Middleton, Brogdon and Monroe plus Thon and some decent vet roleplayers.  Jabari's ACL is the big question (non contact injuries are always scary.)

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There are rumblings that LeBron may be leaving Cleveland after next year and if so, I can't blame him.  This offseason Dan Gilbert apparently fired a superior GM over money right as he was reportedly on the verge of signing Butler (which obviously didn't happen.)  He then courted and alienated Chauncey Billups as his replacement by refusing to grant him reasonable powers and again cheaping out.  This as they were trying to sign Paul George (it didn't happen.)  During the key free agency period they went without a GM and predictably failed utterly in what should have been easy recruitment of viable free agents.  Top elite teams have a huge advantage attracting talent hungry to win championships, some of them always willing to take less for that shot.  Ivan Calderon?  He's 35 and couldn't even play for the Lakers last year.  Jeff Green?  Playing for a different team for the sixth straight year, 30 and declining.  Every other elite team had major signings but Cleveland.  

Edited by Rick Senger on 19 July 2017 at 9:26am

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2017 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Now it appears Kyrie wants a trade to the Spurs, T-Wolves, Heat or Knicks.  Griffin was a good friend of his but this appears to go deeper as Kyrie wants more of a leadership role, which won't happen with LBJ there.  The Cavs were apparently blindsided and are scrambling.  Derrick Rose for the vet's minimum would be a bargain, but his injury history suggests it might be Faustian, particularly if they want him to start at point.  With LeBron also at the end of his contract next year, this could be the beginning of the end of the Cavs as we know them.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2017 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Amazed how few teams have offered much for great players on the move.  I understand not overpaying, but the mediocre talent Indiana settled on for Paul George (Victor Oladipo and Domantas Sabonis) is stunning.   Jimmy Butler and the #16 pick went for... Zach LaVine (season ending torn ACL), Kris Dunn (a throw-in), and the No. 7 pick (Lauri Markkanen)??   Chris Paul for Patrick Beverley, Lou Williams and a long list of benchwarmers?  Yeah, there are considerations we never hear about, but I can't help but wonder. 

Kyrie Irving is one of the best young guards out there with a guaranteed 2 yr deal yet nobody seems anxious to make a real offer.  Melo may be older but he remains an offensive genius who has never averaged less than 20 points his entire career.   Yet Houston, who is one player away from being a bonafide contender, is only willing to offer 29 y.o. Ryan Anderson (or something similar.)  Anderson averages 9 fewer points, 2 fewer rebounds and 2 fewer assists and has only played more than 72 games once in his 9 year career.  It may be brinksmanship and hoping to make NY cave in but come on, that's not a legit offer.

I get that many of these players aren't willing to agree to long term deals yet but nothing is certain but it's almost like most of the league has decided to just lay down and sit out the next couple years of GS domination. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 54
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |