Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Something I have noticed is while the previews posted online of each
cover look bright and sharp, the printed covers always appear to be
darker. I assume part of that comes from an adjusted screen versus a
printed cover. Just an observation.

My favorite cover (“Sam” #14) is a good example. In the printed
version, it is so dark and muddy that Sam is almost hidden. Yet the
cover preview here is vibrant and clear.

Regardless, the covers are still more interesting in terms of design than
anything on the racks these days.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yup. The problem is that I'm working with an illuminated screen, so the images are brighter than their printed form. I've been trying almost since day one to find the right formula for getting the pages as bright as they need to be!

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Under the heading of Nothing Goes to Waste, this morning I converted one of my really old models (top) to a considerably grimier version for the current issue.

Even that took quite a bit of work, tho!!

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

This is so cool - I really like your sets for this series.

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

That model/set, especially the darkened version, has a definite Matt Jefferies vibe to it.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2017 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A true team effort in "The Hunger".
Some rare bridge angles to enjoy also. As these episodes move forward my eye is more and more seeing these panels not as "re-used" images but as original shots for the story at hand. Sure there will be the obvious image that can be recalled but that's part of the fun. Actually it began a few episodes ago, I've bought into the premise body, mind and soul.

Next episode looks very intriguing!

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

As I have moved deeper and deeper into this series, I have found myself making more and more use of the various models of sets I've built. This produces the unusual angles on familiar sets, but it is also much more time consuming that grabbing a whole shot. I started out using the models just to fill in spaces where I had removed characters I didn't want in the shot, which was much more quick and efficient than "cloning" background details. But when I do a broad shot of the Bridge, for instance, I have to find individual shots of the various characters to paste into place.

And the deadline clock ticks louder and louder!!

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Coincidentally, today I did a page that was not only composed entirely of screen caps, except for two shots of Sulu, they were all from the same scene! That went fast!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

"... This produces the unusual angles on familiar sets, but it is also much more time consuming that grabbing a whole shot...."

Your efforts do not go unnoticed or unappreciated.
Cheers!

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2017 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Just picked up my issue of New Visions 19 "The Hunger" before the Holidays.
Really happy about that as I don't think I would have liked having to wait another week before I would finally be able to read it.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 23 December 2017 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

This morning, a D'OH moment. That page that went together so smoothly, yesterday? I realized McCoy was in his regulation tunic, not the "scrubs" I have him in for the rest of the issue. So all the McCoy bodies had to be swapped out.

Fortunately, some months ago I put all the medical tunic shots into their own folder, so finding the necessary angles was not as hard as it might have been,

Gary M. Peiffer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2017 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Just read issue 19 and loved the reference to Leiber-Kurtzberg energy.  The double page spread was absolutely spectacular and had a definite Kurtzberg energy itself.  Well done and thanks for the efforts on the New Visions series and the fun reference.

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2017 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Agreed on the double page spread. The first thing that came to mind is that it looked like a Kirby collage.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 23 December 2017 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

“The Hunger” was released while I was flying cross country to see my family for the holidays, and since my chance of getting a copy of the book in the New Jersey Pine Barrens is very slim, I bought the digital copy for my iPad. While it’s not my preferred format, I must say I enjoyed the hell out of the experience.  The ability to zoom in on individual panels made for a great reading experience.  

As the series has progressed, one of the best aspects is the increased use of JB’s originals sets/backgrounds - and this story does not disappoint in that department!  But reading the book digitally highlighted one of my favorite aspects of the series that we kind of take for granted after a while - the selection of character images from the original series is impeccable.  Without giving spoilers, there is a scene in which Spock says a single word at a critical point in the story - “Hope”.  The image of Spock for this panel is just perfect. 

This story is a great example of Kirk and Spock at their best.  Rather than the more common dynamic of seeing them together, it’s wonderful to watch them deal with this powerful entity separately.  The dynamic kind of reminded me of “The Doomsday Machine”.

Sulu has a wonderful moment in this the forshadows his eventual ascendency to the captain’s chair.  Fantastic scene - this moment alone is worth the price of admission.

The sets are some of the best we’ve seen - the cover image features one of my favorites. I also really like how the entity was respresented.  It’s enormous, mysterious, and had me on the edge of my seat to the end.

Thanks for keeping the mission alive, JB - this series gets better and better with each story!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2017 at 11:51pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

As the series has progressed, one of the best aspects is the increased use of JB’s originals sets/backgrounds - and this story does not disappoint in that department!  But reading the book digitally highlighted one of my favorite aspects of the series that we kind of take for granted after a while - the selection of character images from the original series is impeccable.  Without giving spoilers, there is a scene in which Spock says a single word at a critical point in the story - “Hope”.  The image of Spock for this panel is just perfect. 
++++++++

This never surprises me. Our host is a master of drawing subtle facial expressions, so of course he'd have an eye for picking out just the right ones from hundreds of screencaps!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 24 December 2017 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

One of the advantages of having so many images from which to choose -- literally thousands -- is that I can often repurpose an expression, using a shot that in original context was expressing something quite different from how I "cast" it.

That said, tho, thanks to everyone who notices the work that goes into this. Again, something more than "just cut and paste".

Darren Ashmore
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2017 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

So true JB, New Visions is so far from cut and paste.

I'm something of a techno -phobe (more an ignoramus truth be told) so I am constantly amazed by the level of craftsmanship that must go into every page, never mind a full 48! 

Each issue just reminds me how dedicated you are to the craft of the graphic narrative and how fortunate we are to get these fantastic tales from you.

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Hi John,

I learned something over the holidays that might be worth sharing: 

I had a visitor from Latin America for a couple of days, and at one point I showed him my book collection - including New Visions. 

He was surprised to see original work in English in what he described as a very familiar format in his neck of the woods (he called it a fotonovela). Apparently these have a long tradition over there in a variety of genres, and many original works are still being produced and sell quite well.

If all of it is true, there could potentially be a new large audience for New Visions south of the border, Baja California to Patagonia, folks who are very familiar with photo comic publications (unlike North American audiences, it seems). 

It would require a Spanish translator, of course, but it might provide a great boost for New Visions.      

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Fotonovels may resemble what I'm doing in NEW VISIONS, but they are really very different. Their photos are all posed, for a start.

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Yes, with often very stiff results - but they are getting better. I found a screenshot of something recent, here goes:

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

No clue at all about balloon shapes and placement!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2018 at 1:34am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Finally received and read "The Hunger"! Man, this was a suspenseful story. I find myself imagining just how awesome it would be to see Spock's gambit play out in a big-budget, live action-way.

I found myself grinning at the "Leiber-Kurtzberg" reference, and the Kirby-esque look of the ship (as well as the double-page spread featuring its destruction). My only disappointment with this issue is that we didn't get that Kirk Speech to Galactus that I've occasionally daydreamed about!

The CG sets are really integrating smoothly with the original show's elements, now. I'm digging the "widescreen" panels of the ship's Bridge, which are basically CG Bridge shots with the characters composited over it. They work really, really well. I'm also digging the new I.C.U. set.

I was also blown away by the preview for the next issue. The panel layouts used to convey each person's isolation are brilliant. And, hey, there's a secret escape ladder next to the Bridge's turbolift! Cool!

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 03 January 2018 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

And, hey, there's a secret escape ladder next to the Bridge's turbolift! Cool!

••

Bit by bit, piece by piece, I make my mark(s)!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2018 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

It fits with what we know, too, since Khan said that he'd "jammed up your exit routes"--plural--in "Space Seed", which indicates some sort of emergency exit in the event of turbolift failure.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 03 January 2018 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

The sixth trade came out today - great cover, JB!!  This includes issues #15-17 - “The Traveler,” “Time Out of Joint” and “All the Ages Frozen.”

<< Prev Page of 211 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |