Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Complete visual history of Wolverine’s suit Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2013 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 1  

"Apparently they went with the Paul Smith version. He had a habit of occasionally rendering the mask as brown -- which is basically a literal interpretation of the "color not found in nature" of my design."

Several other artists began doing that, notably Todd McFarlane and Jim Lee. I didn't like it but it didn't bother me too much since brown is still not too bad...but then Lee went back to the yellow costume and proceeded to make the mask highlights BLUE! That's when it drove me nuts.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 July 2013 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 2  

It occurs to me that the "Fang" costume does not belong on this list.

Dave Cockrum originally intended that suit to be Wolverine's new costume, as permanent as such things can be. But then Dave left the book, changing the costume in his last issue, and handing me a model sheet with the note "It's a bear to draw!"

I agreed -- and also did not like the design, or the idea that Wolverine would voluntarily wear someone else's costume. So as soon as the X-Men returned to Earth, I put Logan back into his blue and yellow duds.

If we consider Fang's costume to be part of the "evolution" of Wolverine, does this mean we should consider the native garb the X-Men wore while in the Savage Land to be part of their own sartorial "evolution"? Should we include the "Russian" garb worn by Peter when under the influence of Arcade to be a legitimate Colossus costume?

Rob Shalda
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2013 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 3  

I can't think of a worse version of a superhero than "Noseless"
Wolverine

I felt the same way with "Nosed" Iron-Man.

Brian Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2013 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 4  

I guess I would have to consider the intent when considering at costume evolution rather than how long it was worn. If the Savage Land or Arcade costumes were intended to be permanent (for however long permanent is) then sure, they would be part of the evolution.

That said, I totally agree with your assessment that Wolverine would not have worn someone elses costume and am glad you switched it back. I am curious, though, did the Fang costume in any way influence your brown design, JB? Its still the image that immediately comes to my mind when I think of Wolverine because of when I started into comics.

Robert LaGuardia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2013 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 5  

Vinny-Blue highlights on a black mask makes sense within the history
of comic's visual language. Even though I like the way it looks brown
highlights on a black mask doesn't really make sense. It's been done
for a long time, I believe Miller did it a bit in the limited series.

Edited by Robert LaGuardia on 19 July 2013 at 1:27pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2013 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 6  

Personally, I prefer to see the mask as solid black, but I could live with highlights, I suppose. But what really gets me is when sometimes the blacks were completely dropped from the mask - in which case blue is worse than brown, IMO.

Anthony Vitrano
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2013 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 7  

I must have missed something back in the day during the early days of the New X-Men with regards to Wolverine's arm hair.  

The article refers to "flesh-toned sleeves".  I just always thought that it was an evolution in artistic detail & choice to show his arm hair in detail as time went on.  It also just seemed to be a simple contrast in styles between Dave Cockrum & JB.  It never occurred to me that his arms were fully covered, especially since it seemed that the skin color of his arms matched his face (to me anyway).

JB- was this really a conscious costume change on your part?

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 July 2013 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 8  

Dave drew Logan with arm hair when out of costume, and one of the first things I asked when assigned to the book was if it would be okay to start drawing the arm hair on what were obviously bare arms in his costume.

NO! said the Powers That Were. NEVER. NEVER. NEVER EVER!

Then George Perez drew a cover, gave Wolverine arm hair, and as far as I was concerned the gloves -- or sleeves, if you prefer -- we're off.

So, thank you, George!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2013 at 4:22pm | IP Logged | 9  

It's astonishing that the Astonishing costume is the second-most enduring version.

To my mind, Jim Lee's mask-less version is where things start to go seriously wrong. I don't mind Wolverine in his civvies, so long as the costume when he puts it on has the mask.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2013 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 10  

"I can't think of a worse version of a superhero than "Noseless" 
Wolverine."
I know, right?!? I was out of comics during that period and missed it until now.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member

Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 19 July 2013 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 11  

Ditto guys -- first I've ever heard of "noseless Wolverine."  To paraphrase a line from the movie Airplane, "Looks like I picked a good time to give up reading Marvel comics!"

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Bergstrom
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2013 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 12  

Personally, I wish they'd realize a good thing when they see it and put him in the brown costume (or an updated version thereof) and be done with it.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |