Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man: Homecoming - SPOILERS start Pg 22 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2015 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I think Spider-Man will make his initial appearance in the MCU mostly as a way to put some of the good will the MCU generates onto him.  Sony's Spider-Man in the movies has gotten a bit of a bad rep, so the almost universal appeal of the MCU will act as a 'new suit and a tie' for what has become a bit of a bum of a movie franchise.  

I bet that once he appears in CA:CW (and I suspect that movie will be a HUGE hit) Sony will use that good will and move with the character in much the same way the always have.  UNLESS Kevin Fiege and the MCU brain trust has more of a say in the use of the character than has been let on.

The fact that the Sinister Six and other proposed spin-offs from the Sony Spider-Man franchise are still in development tells me that Sony is using this deal to make the public interested in their guy again.  And once Marvel Studios has done the job, Sony will pick it up and run with it.  

For better of worse.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 11 February 2015 at 2:52pm
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2015 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Introducing Spider-Man into a movie doesn't have to be any more complicated than introducing the Falcon or the Black Widow into a movie.

---

Yup. I have no problem with Spider-Man showing up in an Avengers movie. I just don't want him joining the Avengers.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2015 at 4:04pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yes, the benefit of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is that
the "fantastic" has already been established. You don't
need to spend half the movie (or even an entire movie)
explaining how someone gained spider powers or why he'd
put on a colorful costume to fight crime.

Spider-Man could play a key role in a CIVIL WAR movie as
he does sort of stand in the middle of Iron Man and
Captain America, as the films depict them. And actively
"recruiting" heroes to join the Avengers, which would make
going public with their identities, would also make sense
after the probable events of AGE OF ULTRON.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2015 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Hawkeye didn't get an origin story, Black Widow didn't get an origin story, Mark Ruffalo-as-Hulk didn't get an origin story (I don't know if the previous two Hulk movies "count" or not, still haven't seen them)...no reason they couldn't skip over Spidey's origin, too, and just have him as an established hero running around NYC.

They could also do the origin as a sidebar thing.  Show a kid going to a science fair and getting bitten by a spider, have one of the Avengers watching a YouTube clip of Spider-Man on The Tonight Show, then have Spidey turn up as a superhero later on in the movie.  No need to fill in all the blanks.

Marvel Studios hasn't let me down yet, so I'm sure they'll handle this just fine.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2015 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I thought it might be cool to have a masked Spider-Man show up as a suprise to the audience and to The Avengers (helping them, of course,) then not reveal who he is unmasked until his own movie.

I realize with casting being such a huge part of marketing that would be impossible, but I thought it would be a fun way to introduce Spider-Man as a man of mystery into the Avengers Universe.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2015 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Off topic for a sec:  Black Widow is getting an origin story of sorts right now on AGENT CARTER.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2015 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The first HULK movie was an origin story; THE INCREDIBLE HULK may or may not have been a reboot -- or, perhaps, a "soft" reboot (a flashback at the beginning with Banner in the "Gamma Chair", very similar to the one seen in the TV series, could have been his initial bombardment or an attempt at a cure).

But, even if you take TIH as the new "first" Hulk film (the second, after IRON MAN, of the "Marvel Universe" movies), the "origin" is shown for just a few seconds. The rest of the back story is done in montage form during the opening credits. The creation of the Hulk is mentioned in ensuing MU films, but simply refers to Banner's "accident with Gamma Radiation" as a continuance of SHIELD's attempt to further the Super Soldier program...(which is never mentioned in the first HULK movie; although the work that Banner was doing could have certainly had military applications).

The point being, everything you need to know, origin-wise, was encapsulated in the first few minutes of TIH. Then, it was on with the show (whether the previous movie "counted" or not).

Spider-Man could be handled much the same way. A very quick flashback or just a line or two of exposition is all that would be needed. At some point, have Stark take note of the mechanical webshooters and the scientific know-how required to make that happen. Parker tells him they're his own design and Stark finds a "son" (as he found a "brother" in Banner in THE AVENGERS).

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 12 February 2015 at 1:26pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2015 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

And the Edward Norton HULK movie IS the origin of the Hulk in the Marvel Movies. The Ang Lee film doesn't count. 

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2015 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Mark Ruffalo-as-Hulk didn't get an origin story (I don't know if the previous two Hulk movies "count" or not, still haven't seen them)...

Mark Ruffalo's Banner is, indeed, supposed to be the same Banner Ed Norton played.

In The Avengers, when Ruffalo references "breaking Harlem," he's referencing his battle with The Abomination in The Incredible Hulk. Later, in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Coulson threatens someone with the punishment of being sent to Alaska to guard Blonsky's cryo cell.   

Edited by Ronald Joseph on 12 February 2015 at 1:51pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2015 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

And Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark even appears in "The Incredible Hulk" movie to discuss the Avengers initiative. I didn't think there was any question that the movie was cannon in the Marvel movieverse.

Robert LaGuardia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2015 at 6:45pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I think it was Spider-Man 2 where the origin was told in images, I want
to say by Alex Ross, during the credits. I thought that was a great way
to tell the origin without wasting any film time.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2015 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I think it was Spider-Man 2 where the origin was told in images, I want to say by Alex Ross, during the credits. I thought that was a great way to tell the origin without wasting any film time.

I love seeing character origins during the opening credits. They're like movie versions of this...

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2015 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Out of sheer curiosity...

I haven't seen either of the Amazing Spider-Man films. Does Peter create spider-tracers in either film? Do those even show up in the comics anymore?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2015 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

An even more obvious missing component, which should theoretically look outstanding on film:

Where's Spidey's spotlight that he keeps tucked in his belt?

Really surprised no one's used that as well! And yes, I miss the spider-tracers, too.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2015 at 11:33pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Out of sheer curiosity...

I haven't seen either of the Amazing Spider-Man films. Does Peter
create spider-tracers in either film? Do those even show up in the
comics anymore?
======
I can't speak for the comics as I have read Spider-Man in a really long
time. But, he has never used the Spider-Tracers in any of the films.

paul naring
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2015 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I think Marvel have already retconned the Black Widows origin, she's now a hundred years old or something silly like that.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2015 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I think Marvel have already retconned the Black Widows origin, she's now a hundred years old or something silly like that.

I remember a Claremont/Lee issue of X-Men featuring Natasha, Wolverine (in his Indiana Jones getup), and Captain America ("Together Again For the First Time!!!!") set during WWII.

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2015 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Yeah, the Black Widow was a child during that WWII adventure shown in the Uncanny X-Men issue. That would still make her too old for her looks today.

The Black Widow in the Marvel Cinematic Universe was said to be born in 1984, making her the same age as Scarlett Johansson.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2015 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I remember when that "Uncanny X-Men" comic with Black Widow came out (1991, I think), and even then I that would have made Black Widow in her 50's, at least, at the time the comic was published.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2015 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Claremont hates "Marvel Time," I guess. 

Philip Obaza
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2015 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I haven't seen either of the Amazing Spider-Man films. Does Peter create spider-tracers in either film? Do those even show up in the comics anymore?
----------

As far as I know, the only adaptation of Spider-Man to feature the spider-
tracers was the short-lived Spider-Man TV series from the 1970s. None of
the film adaptations have incorporated them.

Since I stopped reading the comics years ago, I couldn't tell you about
them, but they were very seldom used circa 2007-2008.

Edited by Philip Obaza on 13 February 2015 at 1:27pm

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2015 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Submitted without comment:

Kevin Feige talks about Spider-Man:

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2015 at 12:55am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Unfortunately, Claremont's version of Natasha's history more or less squares with the account her chauffeur and partner Ivan Petrovich gives of her origin. He was asked to care for her when she was a small child during the Battle of Stalingrad in 1942. Although Claremont had Ivan involved in trying to rescue young Natasha a year earlier, it all still "fits" more or less with what we'd already been told about her.

Taken at face value, in order for what Ivan said in Amazing Adventures #1 to be true, Natasha would have to be extremely old, ala' Nick Fury, another WW II veteran. 

Of course, everyone could have just ignored the WW II reference, the way we do with Reed, Ben, and Alfred Pennyworth, but for whatever reason, Claremont chose to drive straight down the middle of the problem rather than navigate around it. My guess would be that he did it to somehow make Natasha even more mysterious and powerful, being a soldier and a warrior on a par with Captain America, Fury, and Wolverine, all of whom also have expanded lifespans. In her case, she is even a even greater warrior since was she trained in the martial arts since early childhood by the Hand and Russia's most brutal military men...

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2015 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

According to some things I read online (so I can't verify it for sure), the "Red Room" in the former Soviet Union has been training "Black Widow agents" for many decades and all these ladies (including Natasha) are given special treatments that enhance their physical abilities and greatly retard their aging.  So yeah, Natasha is pushing 80 at this point. 

You know, I recall when Captain America's super solider serum was a big deal?  But now it seems like every organization in Marvel has something that is just as good or better.  Poor Ted Sallis became the Man-Thing for nothing. 

Oh and there are other Man-Things as well....looking identical to the Ted Sallis version...because apparently they are a naturally occurring type of creature now. 

I wish I was making all this up.  But I'm not.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2015 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
...Of course, everyone could have just ignored the WW II reference, the way we do with Reed, Ben, and Alfred Pennyworth, but for whatever reason, Claremont chose to drive straight down the middle of the problem rather than navigate around it...

It definitely should have been ignored. There is a good 20 years between that "Amazing Adventures" and the issue of "Uncanny X-Men" in question. In about 1971, it could still work that Natasha was a young girl during World War II. She would be in about her 30's, But 20 years on, and she would of course be in her 50's, and I doubt most people saw her as being that old of a woman.

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |