Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Wars << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: Rogue One - SPOILERS begin on Pg 7 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2016 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Perhaps a little harsh, Brian, but like I said, I probably would skip it in the theaters, if not for my 6-year old son (and a wife who loved THE FORCE AWAKENS--my daughters are both relatively nonplussed by STAR WARS).

ROGUE ONE doesn't look out-and-out horrible, and I won't mind taking my son, but yes, my overall interest in future STAR WARS entries does seem to be winding down. (And like I also noted upthread, I'm more excited at this point about the prospect of the Michael Giacchino musical score!)

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2016 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Sorry, Shaun. Wasn't trying to be harsh. I just don't understand people's objections to the common tropes of the Star Wars movies. Of course they're fighting the Empire. You don't set a movie in WWII and not have Nazis as the bad guys if the series already has Nazis as the enemy. 

That said, I wish they would do a Boba Fett/ Bounty Hunters movie. You could totally set that away from the Empire/ Rebel or Jedi/ Sith conflicts. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2016 at 11:08pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Heh.

Back to Top profile | search | email

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2016 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Michael Giacchino on doing the music for Rogue One

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2016 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Could this be Giacchino's audition for the main gig at some future point? I think it could.

Be interesting to see what he comes up with and if he strays stylistically from the established template.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2016 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Alexandre Desplat must be slightly gutted that the scheduling didn't work out for him.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2016 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The 2017 Nissan Rogue commercial "TIE - in"

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2016 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

There's a new international trailer out. With a pretty big spoiler for anyone with a modicum of EU knowledge.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2016 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm not sure what I'm missing, James. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2016 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Other than the white uniform of the Grand Admiral, I still don't see any thing. And I've watched it at least a dozen times. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2016 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Pay close attention to the scenes with Jynn. Necklace

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2016 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Ah. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2016 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Ah indeed.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2016 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Well, I have tickets to a 2d Sat Dec 17 showing of Rogue One.  Seats ain't great but I got a buy one get on free offer on a non-alchoholic milkshake from the theater kitchen/bar as a side offer when I bought them. They tried to sell me a $10 glass Starwars Rogue One collectors tumbler with them too. I declined. I learned my lesson chasing the Spock glass from Star Trek 2009 at multiple burger kings. All I got were Uhura and Kirk. They didn't even have a Dr McCoy glass and I had no interest in the Romulan Villain guy glass.

Doot doot doot de doo de doo de doot.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2016 at 2:31am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I did just read Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel, the prequel to Rogue One.

I don't think anything for Rogue one is spoiled particularly, but Jyn's father is manipulated by his old friend Krennic into using Kyber crystals to boost the energy output of reactors (ostensibly to provide a plentiful power source for backwater planets), but really it's for the Death Star weapon.  The book actually starts at the beginning of the Clone Wars, and runs up until just before the Rogue One movie. Once Erso and his wife start to figure out what the research is actually going towards, he flees the installation on Coruscant where he's been experimenting.  That leads to Krennic being demoted and Tarkin being put in charge of the project.

Strangely the part of the novel I found most interesting is that the battle of Hypori has been re-inserted into canon.  It was an episode of the Gennady Tartovsky Clone Wars micro-series, where a bunch of Jedi are beaten up by General Grevious. Lucasfilm wiped all the stuff form those cartoons when they started up the larger Clone Wars series, but Luceno was allowed to put it back apparently.  (At this point they've cribbed Thrawn into the Rebels cartoon, so I shouldn't be surprised by anything). 

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2016 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

There is a fascinating interview with Lucasfilm SFX director John Knoll, covering his early work on the 1978 Battlestar Galactica, ILM, co-creation of Photoshop, the Star Wars Special Editions, and on up to ROGUE ONE.

Unfortunately, ***Huge Spoiler Warning*** for descriptions of what apparently happens during a space battle in the movie...

(Might be best to read this after seeing the movie)

WIRED Link

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2016 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

That was a cool article, I just had to let my eyes go out of focus and skim a few lines there to try to avoid the spoilers.

I just loaded my copy of Photoshop and Thomas Knoll's name is right at the top of the loading screen.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

A ROGUE ONE Movie clip that was posted to Youtube, featuring a battle with Imperial Stormtroopers (spoiler warning for a black humor moment):

Rogue One Movie Clip

The one thing that stands out for me from watching this, is that the 1977 STAR WARS Stormtrooper blaster sound effects are not being used...

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member

L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

the prequel to Rogue One

Heh, a prequel to a prequel? 

I have my tickets for ROGUE ONE for the 16th; I've deliberately avoided reading/seeing much about the movie so that I can go in with uncluttered expectations.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Two weeks to go, and I still feel... oddly nothing.

My 6-year old son is the most excited, and because we're kind of a STAR WARS family to begin with, we're almost obligated to go.

But I see the trailers, TV spots, promos and just can't really get jazzed about any of it. Again, just hoping to go in and be pleasantly surprised.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I'm way pumped. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 11:28pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

But I see the trailers, TV spots, promos and just can't really get jazzed about any of it. Again, just hoping to go in and be pleasantly surprised.
+++++++++

I see popup ads and such for the movie, and...it's the Death Star and TIE fighters, looking just as they did in STAR WARS. Rather surreal. Almost like they're advertising a reissue of the original. And, I'm pretty sure I know how this story ends...

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I expect a big "meh". TFA gave us a knockoff of the Death Star, and now they're dropping all pretense and literally giving us the original Death Star. So, that makes two nostalgia-milkfests, in theory. We'll see.

Still waiting for something original-yet-STAR WARS-y to come from the House of Mouse. Maybe VIII will be the one to break that barrier.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 01 December 2016 at 11:29pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Greg, you are taking the words out of my mouth too often these days!

I'm mildly excited about this film, fingers crossed and all, but wary of more disappointment.

After this film, they really must put the Death Star (or 'Starkiller base' type analogues) behind them and strike out in new directions, storywise and visually.

David Spurlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I look at Rogue One and I get that nostalgia feeling because that's what I think I should feel when looking at it. This is set in the time just before ANH and while I don't really think this is a story that HAD to be told, I'm hoping that it is an interesting story/movie at the end of it all. So, to me at least, this should look and feel like STAR WARS because it IS set at the same time as the original.

Now, with TFA I felt like I was being clubbed to death with all of the forced nostalgia being crammed into a very flimsy story. 30 yrs later and not even the technology has changed as the ships all look like they did in the OT. So, where TFA SHOULD have been something original we got ANH sloppily redone into a smoldering turd.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I see the trailers, TV spots, promos and just can't really get jazzed about any of it. Again, just hoping to go in and be pleasantly surprised.

My first genuine "Oh, cool!" with any of the trailers was seeing Donnie Yen in one of them.

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |