Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2 ~ SPOILERS start Pg 5 Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 1  

Martinex is what gave it away for me. 
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 2  

I recognised the shoulder detail on Stallone!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2017 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 3  

Now I'm feeling nerdy because on a comic book forum, I'm the one who
recognized Starhawk because Yondu referred to him by his real name, Stakar
Ogord.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2017 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

That Sly is Starhawk is one of the only things I really didn't like about this movie.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 5  

That Sly is Starhawk is one of the only things I really didn't like about this movie.

I actually didn't like Stallone as Starhawk either. Or more, I didn't like that his scenes didn't involve anything to make him unique or interesting. It was just Stallone, in a spaceman biker jacket, playing Stallone.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 6  

I dislike everything they did involving the original 31st Century Guardians, including Rooker as Yondu.   

The rest is just brilliant fun.    
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 7  

Michael Roberts wrote:
Now I'm feeling nerdy because on a comic book forum, I'm the one who recognized Starhawk because Yondu referred to him by his real name, Stakar
Ogord.]

If it makes you feel better, that's how I figured it out, too. (Took a bit, though - the "Stakar" was nagging at me most of the movie.)

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 8  

I didn't mind Rooker as Yondu since by himself, he could easily just be just an ancestor of the hero from the original team (since the original team is actually a 1,000 years in the future) or maybe just someone from the same race whose legend and name gets somewhat blown up in the future. Or, it could simply be a common name for his race. 

But, bringing in the others and making them simply thieves & rogues along with more racial casting... the sad thing is, it would have been so, so easy to do something that was more in keeping with the originals. Do an end credit set in the future with a younger Yondu, Charlie, Martinex and Vance Astro on the run, fighting the Baddoon. They find a bombed out museum and among the litter and broken statuary is a glass case with the arrow. The younger Yondu recognizes it, picks it up and with a make-shift bow, fires it at the enemy... I think the 4 original Guardians of the Galaxy would make for a pretty good sci-fi series by itself

With the various credits at the end, was there one for Arnold Drake and Gene Colan?

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 9  

Yondu can't be Yondu's ancestor, because Yondu was a Kree while Yondu will be a Zatoan. 

Make sense?  

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 10  

Yondu can't be Yondu's ancestor, because Yondu was a Kree while
Yondu will be a Zatoan.

----

In the movie, Yondu was a Kree slave, not a Kree. Pretty sure he's a
Centaurian, like in the comics.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 11  

I thought they did an incredible job on the young Kurt Russell. I'm a stickler for looking for anything out of sorts with those kind of effects. But wow good job. 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 7:17pm | IP Logged | 12  

Michael: I must have misinterpreted that line. Or maybe a different one. I thought it explained his blue skin.  

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 13  

I thought they did an incredible job on the young Kurt Russell.

Seconded. The best "de-aging" effects I've seen.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 14  

Such lustrous hair!

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 15  

That's how early 80's Russell rolled...

THE THING (1982)

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member

L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 16  

Disney seems to be especially enamored with the "de-aging" technologies -- Michael Douglas in ANT-MAN; RDJ in CIVIL WAR; Carrie Fisher in ROGUE ONE; Kurt Russell; and, according to the trailers, Johnny Depp in the new PIRATES film.  

The Kurt Russell "de-aging" was impressive, but for my money nothing has yet topped the RDJ scene.  I was convinced they just lifted RDJ from an old movie and inserted it.

Steven McCauley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 17  

Thom, I agree.  It looked exactly like Less than Zero RDJ.  I wonder if it is easier to do that with these actors that were very active in the time period in which they are being "de-aged" to.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 18  

Could also be the span of time that's bridged and how well the actors age in real life is a factor.

De-aging the relatively timeless RDJ twenty or so years seems like it would be easier than trying to get a 60 year-old Carrie Fisher back to 19. Perhaps why the former result looked life-like and the latter looked like something out of THE POLAR EXPRESS.

I wish they would have left her in silhouette or used old footage or something in ROGUE ONE. I thought the end product was a disservice to the character and the actress.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 23 May 2017 at 9:23am

Tony Tower
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 19  

One advantage the Marvel de-aging has had is that they are shooting these scenes with the actual actors and then stripping the years away. ROGUE ONE was transforming age-appropriate actors who were not Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher into Tarkin and Leia. It's not really a fair comparison.

(Also on Marvel's side: TONS of reference footage exists of Douglas, Downey, and Russell at the ages in question, as they were all very successful actors at that age. I doubt Marvel could do as good a job with an actor in his 50s for whom they had only still photographs as youthful reference.)

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 20  

...transforming age-appropriate actors who were not Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher into Tarkin and Leia.

I thought they'd done a better (if still not entirely convincing) job with Tarkin than with Leia. And why not use Carrie Fisher? She was around to witness the finished product (and apparently was impressed by it) and clearly open to further involvement with Star Wars. If using the actual actors is the path to more convincing de-aging, it seems they missed the boat.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member

L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 21  

One of Carrie Fisher's last tweets was on just that subject: "People have aged so much you can't even get them to do motion capture".  (Although she said it with a lot more emojis.)

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2017 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 22  

In an interview Kurt Russel claims most of the de-aging was done with make-up so they needed very little CGI to smooth it out.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 23  

Saw the film last night and liked it with reservations. It has some wonderful sequences, it has some good character moments and it is at times funny and visually interesting. But... I felt there was a paucity of plot. The characters were good, the execution was mostly excellent, the performances were good, A more driving storyline and it would have all worked so much better. Like Thom, I felt it could have been trimmed a little. The credits sequence was inspired and the escape sequence from the Sovereign was deliriously funny but I felt the film just kind of slumped once we got to "Ego's Planet" as they called it. Every so often a good little sequence would come along, but there was just too much being hung off too little of a story framework. Did we really need the Rocket Home Alone sequence? Dead bodies raining from the skies? I didn't really buy that we should feel bad for child-trafficking, mass-killer Yondu. Star Lord himself didn't fell that interesting. Groot, Rocket and Drax all excellent.

Liked ELO, George Harrison and Cat Stevens, but unimpressed with the rest of the soundtrack.

Really it's just a 3/5 for me.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 24  

Peter, I've seen it twice now and would agree on many of your points.  The story did indeed sag a bit when they reached Ego's planet.  And while the Drax/Mantis interactions were amusing and Rocket was entertaining Baby Groot got a little tiresome for me by the end of the movie.  And yes, the reclamation work done on Yondu was hardly convincing considering his past history.

And yes, the soundtrack was underwhelming compared to the first movie.

Overall I would say it was amusing and at times hilarious, but not quite up to the bar set by the first movie.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2017 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 25  

I saw it yesterday. I agree the movie was downright hilarious at times, but I thought they could have picked a better overall arc. I thought the film would be more connected to Thanos and the upcoming Infinity movies.

Entertaining, but about average among the Marvel movies.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |