Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: The INHUMANS coming to ABC in 2017 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2017 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Has Black Bolt ever been shown without a mask in the comics?
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2017 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yes. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2017 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Not particularly inspiring to me... looks like Fox Studios and the creators of "Lost" teamed-up to produce this--about 10 or 12 years ago!

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2017 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

This looks terrible.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2017 at 6:26pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It looks like a genre T.V. show, which of course it is. By trumping up the IMAX release of the pilot, Marvel raised expectations that the Inhumans would be a big-screen experience. But the trailer doesn't even look that great on my tiny MacBook Air. 

"Trumping" ... it feels like a bad word, these days. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2017 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Black Bolt getting bested by a group of cops and Medusa being held down by what appears to be ordinary guards....who don't seem to be aware (or afraid) of her hair thrashing them in defense.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think you weren't paying close enough attention. Blackbolt lets out a groan after getting hit and his power is unleashed.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2017 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

@Anthony

I payed plenty of attention.  How do these cops beat him down if he is 'Black Bolt'?  So he can destroy a city block with a whisper...but he can't defend himself from a pack of cops with nightsticks?

The king of the Inhumans shouldn't let out a 'groan' because he got hit in the tummy by some dude with a stick.  Hell, those guys wouldn't stand a chance against the MCU Captain America or Black Panther.  How do they beat Black Bolt!?

There's an inconsistency here, don't you think?

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2017 at 10:01pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I payed plenty of attention.  How do these cops beat him down if he is 'Black Bolt'?  So he can destroy a city block with a whisper...but he can't defend himself from a pack of cops with nightsticks?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well if you saw his display of power that how can you think he's depowered ?
`````
The king of the Inhumans shouldn't let out a 'groan' because he got hit in the tummy by some dude with a stick.  Hell, those guys wouldn't stand a chance against the MCU Captain America or Black Panther.  How do they beat Black Bolt

There's an inconsistency here, don't you think?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
 He didn't just get hit in the tummy. He was being beaten by those men.  We don't know the context of what's going on.

No I don't think there are any inconsistencies. We aren't seeing the whole story so we can't make a judgement on that yet. It's a only a trailer we aren't suppose to get the whole story. We're just getting smaller glimpses of a bigger picture. 

We have no idea even if what we saw was n any sort of sequential order.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2017 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Most of the trailer is driven by Maximus / Iwan Rheon. For the very first trailer to be an appeal specifically to the Game of Thrones audience is not a good sign. There should have been much more focus on the royal family. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 29 June 2017 at 10:06pm

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 2:44am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think David is referring to the fact that Black Bolt should have superhuman strength and THAT'S why he should not be beaten by a bunch of cops. nothing to do with his voice.

Edited by James Woodcock on 30 June 2017 at 2:47am

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I think David is referring to the fact that Black Bolt should have superhuman strength and THAT'S why he should not be beaten by a bunch of cops. nothing to do with his voice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As I mentioned before we aren't getting the whole picture.  That being the case and this being the Marvel Universe. Those cops could be specially armed to deal with super powered beings. Within the context of the MCU We don't  as of yet know the extent of Blackbolts powers. Maybe he doesn't have super strength?

Besides that even if he DID have super strength that doesn't mean he is immune to getting hurt when being repeatedly hit in the back with blunt weapons.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 30 June 2017 at 4:19am

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

(Thanks, James!)

"Well if you saw his display of power that how can you think he's depowered?"

Because he is getting his ass kicked by what appears to be ordinary policemen.  That's why.  If he doesn't have super powers beyond the voice he is so afraid to use, what makes him such a force to be king in the first place?  His good looks?

That's the inconsistency.  

Black Bolt is a Marvel Comics powerhouse.  If they have chosen to give him his devestating voice...and none of his other powers then this show has failed already.  Same for Medusa as we see in the trailer. 

I know the story has yet to reveal itself, but so far it's hiding a lot the kinds of things that should bring you in to a story about The Inhumans.  
You would have a hard time finding someone who wants this show to be good more than I.  But so far EVERYTHING done to promote this effort (short of most of the casting) has sent my enthusiasm careening into the guardrails.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Did you consider that Black Bolt is a hero, and heroes don't fight and use lethal force against police officers?

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

QUOTE:
If he doesn't have super powers beyond the voice he is so afraid to use, what makes him such a force to be king in the first place?  His good looks?

Being born into the royal family is how most kings get their job. 

Edited by David Miller on 30 June 2017 at 8:40am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Because he is getting his ass kicked by what appears to be ordinary policemen.  That's why.  If he doesn't have super powers beyond the voice he is so afraid to use, what makes him such a force to be king in the first place?  His good looks?

That's the inconsistency.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
There is no inconsistency because we have no idea what's going on. You're making a conclusion based upon incomplete information. 

There are any number of reasons why Blackbolt could be taking the ass whippin.

What Tim wrote is a pretty good reason why.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Yeah. I think Tim is right on the money, here.

At least, until we actually see the episode, anyway.

Edited by Brian Miller on 30 June 2017 at 9:48am

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

"Did you consider that Black Bolt is a hero, and heroes don't fight and use lethal force against police officers?"

Who said anything about lethal force?!

Any character with a vague resemblance to Black Bolt wouldn't have to stand there and take anything from a bunch of jabronis with nightsticks!

I get it.  "Wait until the story comes out."  But I'm sorry.  The job of the trailer in to entice, excite and inform...just a bit.   This trailer didn't work for me.  So I'm taking stabs at it because I'm pissed.  

The MCU has done a very good job of hooking me and keeping me. The ONLY MCU efforts I have out and out disliked are Iron Man 3 and Iron Fist (Hmmm...both 'Iron') 

If it turns out that this TV Black Bolt is indeed 'tanking it' and letting himself be taken out by cops who are doing so for some really cool, intriguing reason, then great!  And if the people behind AOS were at the helm of this...I'd bet that the payoff will be satisfying.  Those guys have earned my trust after stumbling with the first few episodes of AOS.  If Jed Whedon and Co. were at the helm...this would be a better show.....with a proper tie in to AOS.  Of that I'm sure.

But Scott Buck, the guy who brought us the worst seasons of Dexter....and the impossibly lackluster Iron Fist is bringing us the Inhumans.   I have NO reason to think this trailer with it's horrid Medusa wig....the mundane looking sets....the sketchy CGI...and the lame action scenes and unimaginative costumes are not indicative of the show as a whole.

I look forward to being surprised.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

It strikes me as a bit funny that Marvel comic fans and fans of Marvel's current movie/TV outings are outraged by this trailer and John Byrne, who, for the most part, steers clear of current Marvel screen fare because of its lack of fidelity, says it looks good.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Years ago, I read for the first time William Goldman's ADVENTURES IN THE SCREEN TRADE. One of the things I learned is that Hollywood approaches "adaptations" by looking for things that can be changed. This was the opposite of my own approach on projects such as MAN OF STEEL, where I went in looking for what I could keep.

Based on this single trailer, it looks to me as if at least SOME of the people working on this project went in with the latter attitude.

I am, of course, prepared to be disappointed.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I will give this a shot based on Lockjaw. I will try anything once in the hope of Lockjaw getting given his due as the best, weirdest Inhuman.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2017 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

LOCKJAW!!!!!!!

I'm IN.

I wasn't because I don't really care about Agents of SHIELD, but I am NOW.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2017 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

This trailer does look really bad. Not sure why either because Agents of Shield has never looked this cheap and they're not giving it the IMAX treatment. I did like Lockjaw in it. Looks like that's where all the money went.

Also, ugh, Ramsay Bolton. I thought I'd gotten that guy off my TV screen finally. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2017 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I caught this trailer on the big IMAX screen just before a showing of Spider-Man.  The lack of visual 'oomph' in this production is killing me.  

When Jack Kirby gives you a visual blueprint...you USE it!  

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2017 at 4:48am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

A second trailer is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSxKUBhYlvo

This one features Medusa's animated hair. I understand that CGI hair is a huge challenge for animators. A challenge that they've failed miserably here. 

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 July 2017 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

All the pieces parts are still there. Don't mind the hair. Lockjaw still makes me grin like a schoolboy.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |