Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2017 at 9:18pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I know, right?!

Man oh man.  What could have been.
Back to Top profile | search

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2017 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I watched the series premier tonight. I have never been a big follower of the Inhumans (except for those times where JB used them in FF) and, though the TV version is not exactly the same as the comics (nothing new there) I found it interesting and much better than I was expecting from all the negative reviews. My wife, who knows NOTHING about them, seemed to enjoy the show (and Lockjaw). I did feel bad for Black Bolt when a quick flashback showed what happened to his parents. I will keep watching it to see where this goes.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2017 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'll keep watching also, Sam. 

The writing was uninspiring at times but interesting enough for now. 
Crystal and Lockjaw were a fun duo, keep that going. 
I haven't kept up with the Inhumans in 30 something years so is this now how Karnak is written?
I knew him as the "shatterer" .

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2017 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Not enough Lockjaw.

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 1:14am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Couldn't make through the pilot. Boring,
bad dialogue, mediocre production values
and stereotypical bland network TV
writing.
No thanks.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

My neck still hurts from shaking my head in disbelief. 

A truly amateurish effort.  The premier episodes of Inhumans made the early episodes of Agents Of SHIELD look excellent in comparison.  

Where did the Inhumans get their IKEA furniture from?

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I thought it was pretty dull too.

I liked Crystal and Lockjaw, was middle-of-the-road with Medusa, Maximus and Gorgon, not-that-impressed with Black Bolt and Triton and have no idea where they were going with Karnak.

I'll probably give it another chance, but I don't have high expectations.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It's a bit slow, but I liked it ok. 

Question: Can Black Bolt fly?

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This TV 'Black Bolt' is a shadow of his comic book self.  

Scott Buck has no business whatsoever in this genre.  He has no feel for this at all.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 30 September 2017 at 3:44pm

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Watching a superhero show on a major network tends to be a trip back in time. To me, Inhumans, SHIELD, Agent Carter, and even the CW shows feel like shows from the 80's. Plots are straightforward, unconfusing. Dialogue is plain and delivered clearly. Just in case you don't understand the motivations of a character, he will spend ten minutes talking about it in the middle of an episode. Cardboard sets are filmed in the brightest of lighting and clearest of angles, just in case your old analog T.V. with the crappy reception is about to burn out. Ugh. 

The networks should just do what they really want. Bring back Matlock as a mutant, or Murder She Wrote with a cyborg. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 30 September 2017 at 6:29pm

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 4:23am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Did Maximus get his hair clippers from the Attilan Wal-Mart?

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

One wonders what it looked like on an IMAX screen. Maybe a good Moon shot, and Oahu, but the exteriors and interiors of Attilan weren't impressive.

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 5:53am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I paused to go and do something about halfway through and haven't carried on. While I was watching I thought it would have been better if it hadn't been the Inhumans at all - if it had just been a fantasy show with a bunch of generic but created-for-itself characters and setting. As it was you couldn't help noticing its total failure to capture the imagination or fluid action of any Lee/Kirby comic book. 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

In a lot of ways, INHUMANS isn't particularly much worse or more incompetent than the rest of what's out there. It's just the deficiencies are so central.

Black Bolt's speechlessness was always going to be one of the show's biggest challenges. In the comics he can get away with standing around like a statue and it comes across solemn and regal. I can understand the actor's choice not to go in that direction, but unfortunately he traded petrification for smugness, and by the time Black Bolt was aggrievedly rolling his eyes and tossing around ignorant civilians he was easily the series's most unlikable character. Like, who gives a fuck if this asshole is no longer Attilan's slave master? I guess because Maximus wants to descend from the moon to rule petty humanity, but at worst he comes across as a low-key Donald Trump,  whose recklessness makes his predecessor almost look palatable, even though at the end of the day his predecessor is still George W. Bush.

Was Maximus always unpowered in the comics? I've only read a smattering of Inhumans stories between Lee/Kirby and Byrne, where as far I remember he relied on evil inventions, so it may have been part of the character for decades, but I thought it was interesting and effectively deployed.

The turn Medusa took was especially pointless in her first appearance (taking away Medusa's powers right away is effectively a new origin and character), but considering the tactile yarn-like qualities of the hair effects I don't blame them for throwing in the towel more or less immediately; her big action scene was the only 30 seconds where the show became unarguably so bad it was good. 

Speaking of hair, what the hell was going on with Crystal's head? It looked like a wig, but in a lot of shots, that black thing in the back looked smeared on in post-production.

I'm going to keep watching in case Iwan Rheon uncorks some legit madness as Maximus. Based on what happened to Medusa, I predict Black Bolt will speak normally by the end of the 8th episode.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2017 at 4:01am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

The wife and I watched the full pilot last night, and we quite enjoyed it. It isn't exactly the Inhumans I remember, obviously - but, as Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.*, it seems a good start that needs a little steadying and tightening up. The plot for the first season seems a touch obvious - the Royal Family running for their lives while they try to reassemble and begin plans to return to Attilan - but if done well, it will be a tremendously exciting show.

I was a little taken aback at Black Bolt's lack of power, but that may be something that needs to develop. Still... being taken down by a half dozen with batons was just a little too demeaning in my book.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2017 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I found it very middle of the road. Very similar in look and feel to many other TV shows, making me wonder how this would be a good idea to present in IMAX. Medusa having her hair shaved is pointless almost to the point of hilarity. Crystal was pretty bad, I thought. Kind of liked Black Bolt till they put him in a powder blue lounge suit. I think the actor did quite well, though they do need to be careful that they don't overdo the eye-rolling and mugging. 

I think to be a success and separate itself from the pack, I think this show needed to throw caution to the wind and really go for it in a Kirby-inspired flourish of dynamic panache. Extreme foreshortening angles with wide-angle lenses, people striking dramatic poses, full-on costumes and exploiting the unusual powers in a pedal-to-the-metal way. Instead we got a crew-cut Medusa in a tepid punch-up with some female security guard in a generic leather outfit.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2017 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

So, INHUMANS wasn't horrible... but it wasn't great either. I agree with most of the criticism above tho', it was pretty dull. Marvel initially hyped it up as being a special event/series because of the IMAX partnership but they really dropped the ball on this by NOT delivering on that level. This show needed to premiere in spectacular fashion and leave us wanting more....

.... and it did not.

-C!

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2017 at 12:35am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I have never followed the Inhumans, but here are my impressions of the show.

Just finished Ep1.....yawn. But I'm a glutton for punishment and hope the rest of the EPs improve. I can already tell they are rushing their story since their are only 8 episodes.

I'd be pissed if I had paid to watch this in IMAX though. 

A couple big questions. Since when can Medusa's hair be cut by normal hair shears? I thought her hair was stronger than steel?

Does Karnak's powers work that way? That was more like the Midnighter. I thought Karnak could see/find/obliterate structural weaknesses, not explore probabilities before he acts.

And why the heck did Lockjaw port Blackbolt to the middle of a busy street when he was supposed to port him to where the others were? 

I'll watch EP2 now. I'm sure to get the answers.

....one hour later....

Nope....didn't get the answers.

So.....just saw EP 2. I can't say there is much that I like about this show yet. 

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 03 October 2017 at 1:56am

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2017 at 5:01am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I thought Karnak could find the weakness in anything. Not just structures. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2017 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Too bad he couldn't see the weakness in the script.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2017 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Marvel Studios usually seems to know what's good for the big screen and small: keep the street level stuff on TV and the super-powered, cosmic stuff is for the big-money theatrical releases.

THE INHUMANS came off as street level. Which is one thing they should never be.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2017 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Too bad he couldn't see the weakness in the script.
-----------------------------------------
Zing!

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Taken from the Marvel site:

Through mental discipline, Karnak has gained the extrasensory ability to perceive the stress points, fracture planes, or weaknesses, in all objects or persons around him. By striking and applying pressure at these points, he can split or shatter objects made of seemingly invincible substances or render insensate beings of far greater strength than he. This mental discipline is virtually effortless, and Karnak can attain this state of awareness for extended periods of time.

So yeah Karnak is supposed to identify physical weaknesses. The show has completely changed his power set (so far).

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

So, the first thing they do is split up everyone and take away half the team's powers?  Those both seem to be something you MIGHT do in the second season--only AFTER firmly establishing them in the first season.  That's just bad storytelling.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Spoiler stuff:

So....Black Bolt willing escapes the jail (with the help of the "hot hands" Inhuman).....that he could have left at ANY time under his own power.

And leaves in a helicopter just as Medusa shows up to do what? Rescue him with her shaved pate?  

Karnak is sitting around bemoaning his face tattoo...like a middle aged person who took a good look at their 45 year old body with a tramp stamp.  

Yes, this is very poorly written television.  

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |