Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Mitt Romney wrote:
Here's what I know. Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud. His promises are as worthless as a degree from Trump University. He's playing the American public for suckers: He gets a free ride to the White House and all we get is a lousy hat.

His domestic policies would lead to recession. His foreign policies would make America and the world less safe. He has neither the temperament nor the judgment to be president. And his personal qualities would mean that America would cease to be a shining city on a hill.

"But that's ok. I'll still work for him." What a spineless piece of shit.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/full-transcript-mitt-r omneys-remarks-on-donald-trump-and-the-2016-race-220176

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've no love nor admiration for Romney, but I think that is a pretty decent speech. The context in which it was delivered was a time when there was a choice to make.

Like it or not -- and clearly we must suspect he does not like it -- that decision has been made and can no longer be influenced. Trump will be President.

Working with him can be viewed as spineless. I would view it more as pragmatic, however. Maybe with a large dash of expediency.

Romney warned the barn door should be shut. Now the horse has bolted, there's no point pillorying him for not bothering with the barn door any longer. He's busy feeding Trump sugar cubes and trying to stop him trampling the rose garden.

Edited by Peter Martin on 01 December 2016 at 12:02pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"But that's ok. I'll still work for him." What a spineless piece of shit.

Agreed. No wonder some don't vote.

How you go from calling someone a phony/fraud/conman to that is baffling. Politics is dirty.

Paul Gibney
Byrne Robotics Member.

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

To suggest only those who agree with Trump should join him is a recipe for disaster. It makes sense for dissenters to join up, and then to try exert any influence or reason they can into his decisions.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

What better way to mitigate foreign policies that you see as disastrous than to become Secretary of State and take charge of the actual implementation of policy.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm going to write a book, Steve. It's going to be called...

"Mitt Mitigates". 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Mitt ought to be considered an objectively terrible choice for Secretary of State, based on his disastrous gaffe-ridden tour of Europe and Israel during the 2012 election. But the bar's so low for the Trump administration America exhales in relief at the prospect, because at least Romney is only a malpolitic and personally awkward buffoon; he won't need to be carefully minded 24-7 with chloroform and butterfly nets like John Bolton, Newt Gingrich or Rudolpho Giuliani. Or Trump, for that matter.

Romney should be considered for a department more suited to his technocratic skill set, like Energy, Transportation, HUD, or Veterans Affairs. If he were appointed to Health & Human Services, I'd actually be relieved because that might mean he'd be in charge of fixing Obamacare.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 9:17pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Romney looks like the token 'sane guy' in the administration.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 3:34am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Keep in mind that a vote for Trump wasn't actually a vote for Trump. It was a protest vote against the entire political establishment. Almost nobody counted on a Trump victory. Trump himself didn't think he was going to win. So what does a Trump presidency mean? Chaos, with a poison cherry on top. Has-beens and never-were's like Sarah Palin in charge of things. Mitt Romney in the Trump stable can only be a good thing. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 02 December 2016 at 3:38am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member

L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Keep in mind that a vote for Trump wasn't actually a vote for Trump.

For some, perhaps; but there are a shockingly large number of people who are absolutely passionate about a Trump presidency.

Politicians knocking each other during an election and then working together after is hardly anything new.  Hillary spent months warning that Obama was unqualified, unprepared and unrealistic, and yet had no apparent qualms about joining his administration. 

But, like everything else in this election cycle, the level of disparity is hard to swallow.  Romney going from calling Trump a conman, a liar and a danger to "the very man who can lead us to that better future" is a 180 that almost defies belief.  Is it because he thinks he can be a stabilizing influence in a Trump administration, or because he's a brazen political opportunist willing to sell out his beliefs?  Maybe a little of both.

I give John Kasich and Lindsey Graham credit; neither have rolled over and showed their bellies like so many of the other never-Trump Republicans.

Edited by Thom Price on 02 December 2016 at 8:35am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I personally know 4 people (not just "FB "friends") who voted for Gary Johnson as a protest vote.  Only 1 of them would have normally voted Republican.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"What better way to mitigate foreign policies that you see as disastrous than to become Secretary of State and take charge of the actual implementation of policy."

Do U.S. Secretaries of State have the reputation of openly defying the directives of the executive?   If not, do you honestly expect Mitt Romeny to blaze that trail?

Mitt is setting himself up for 2020.  He is taking the gig (if he takes it) in the same way Hillary took it in 2008.  As a resume builder.  

See how that worked out?

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |