The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 25 March 2020 at 1:26am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Steve de Young wrote:
Collapsing society in a quixotic quest to grant elderly baby boomers immortality is not.

I'm sorry but WHAT THE FUCK?  Seriously.  Wow.  Jesus Christ, that's awful.  Yeah, and you can own that position, Steve.  Fuck.

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 25 March 2020 at 1:42am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Steve de Young wrote:
But how about keeping the at-risk population under strict quarantine and letting the rest of the people get on with their lives.

Who are those people, really Steve and who should actually be quarantined?  Are you going to keep everyone who is, say, 65 and older home?  Are you then going to quarantine those with diabetes and high blood pressure, people known to be more affected with this disease?  How do you test for that?  How do you even fucking treat for that?

Your assumption is absurd on its face.  We have populations of people that are aged cared for by the young that, in your scenario, are devoid of any protections because, well, they're old.  All to just "get on with their lives".  Wow, Steve.  Seriously.  That's what you believe.

Unbelievable.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 25 March 2020 at 2:07am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Watch.  The "practical" argument is about to come into play!

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2020 at 3:58am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The notion that the economy must be saved to prevent all the suicide is
horrid. Watch for idiots using this bullshit “greater good” argument with
zero credibility, proof or intelligence.

My grandfather lived through the Great Depression. I remember the
stories. Not one story involved the funeral parlours over run with all the
suicide death. People advocating that the virus be allowed to have its
way with the population are not thinking far enough ahead to imagine
the impact of such wholesale death in the world.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2020 at 5:10am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Trump and many others are willing to kill people for the economy. What Trump fails to realise is that unless he follows Fauci's advice, and supresses the virus, it will never go away or reduce. 

The United States will become the epicentre for this virus given Trump's current trajectory.

And, I'm sorry, I have elderly relatives 70+. Their lives are not a lottery. Everyone means something.

The sooner this evil in the White House and all who follow his beliefs are gone, the better our world will be.

Just bastards.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2020 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

For those who may think that the virus is only deadly to the elderly, a Detroit Police Dispatcher died Monday from COVID. He was 38 years old with no known health issues.

Letting the "young" open up the country and return to commingling is not an option!

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2020 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I agree that we should not be subject to arbitrary/political "deadlines" - however, we CANNOT stay under quarantine indefinitely.  What is your solution?

Marc

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2020 at 6:03am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The world should quarantine until the virus presents a slower infection curve and the medical systems can deal with it. 

If nothing else, if the virus has no host body it can't go anywhere. In a month if everyone followed advice, there would be a drop in new cases.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2020 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Ex-Fed chair Ben Bernanke: this is "much closer to a major snowstorm" than the Great Depression.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2020 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That's what you believe.
-------------------------------
Matt, profanity and obvious anger aside, I don't think it would be super productive for us to sit and caricature each other.  You apparently think I want all old people to die and don't care.  I could respond by accusing you of not caring about hungry children of millions of parents who are already unemployed and whose jobs won't be coming back.  We could have ourselves a downright compassion Olympics here/  Maybe you'd win.

Or, if we went past the lines in my earliest posts in this thread that clearly triggered you, we could try to understand each other's positions and have a discussion.

There are not only two options here.  It is not a choice between doing absolutely nothing to protect the at-risk population or doing absolutely nothing to prevent an economic depression.  As I have said repeatedly in this thread, we have to find the right balance in the middle which harms the fewest number of people.

I am not a government official.  I do not have all the data.  It is not my job to sift through all of that data and try to come up with a balanced proposal.  We're not going to do that collectively in this internet message board thread either.  All I've tried to point to on this thread is that there is, legitimately, a second area of compassion and concern for human life and well-being that has to be balanced against the medical one.  Being concerned about one does not necessarily make you unconcerned about the other.

And yeah, though this may set you off again, I'm sorry, but we have a lot of extremely wealthy members of the older generation in this country who could very clearly care less about anyone's well-being other than their own.  If you think any of the major government figures working on this, from either party, care in the least about the health or economic well-being of poor and working people, you're deluding yourself.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2020 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

LINK

Best news I heard all day!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2020 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

James J. - I don't subscribe to the Post. What was the headline?

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |