Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

And note I say 'if'. Two more likely outcomes (a) he wins (b) he loses and walks away as normal. Of course a third possibility -- which I really hope doesn't happen -- is no election (in the interests of protecting public health, you see)
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Peter M. - you raise interesting points, and I see what you're saying. However, I don't believe he can get an amendment in by 1-20-21, and then the Constitution takes care of it.

And I don't suppose that the military, Secret Serves, and Federal Marshall's offices are unaware of this fact either.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

He will do whatever he is going to do before then when he still
legitimately holds all the powers of the office.

He’s been doing it since Jan 20, 2016 with his cries of voter fraud.
There was none, of course, but the seeds were already sewn. Now, in
the event he loses*, he’s got the built-in excuse.

He’s also been building the MAGA Militia who would walk thru the fires
of hell itself for him. Not WITH him, mind you, just for him. He,
undoubtedly, has in mind that if he is defeated, they’ll take control of
everything “in the country’s best interest” and keep him in the WH. Of
course on Jan 20, he won’t have a legal leg to stand on.

* I’m still not convinced he’s not gonna try and cancel or push back the
election. Won’t matter on Jan 20, but he’s not really smart enough to
see that.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I don't think it's that enlightening -- because if Trump loses in November and decides he is going to throw his weight behind trying to void the outcome, do you think he will wait until 20 January 2021 to take action?

He will do whatever he is going to do before then when he still legitimately holds all the powers of the office.

I think worst case scenario is what's going to happen when he loses. He's going to "blow it all up" before he leaves office.  Maybe even literally.  Yes, I believe he's that maniacal. 

While it probably will not happen, I still hope that the FBI completely surrounds the US Capitol in order to arrest the orange one.  Because, for some reason, I think he's going to have a plane ready to go so he can get some place where there's no extradition ASAP.  And I hope that Biden definitely makes sure his DoJ pursues criminal charges.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Whatever the entry wound has been, the exit wound is always worse.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Last year Republicans circulated, and Trump retweeted, a pseudolegal argument that a president who was impeached but not removed from office was eligible for a third term, as a do-over. He's already signaled his intentions.

The idea that all these systems and honorable people in place can be relied on to facilitate an orderly transfer of power whether Trump is on board or not gives way too much credence to the fantasy that Trump will suddenly start respecting laws and political norms, or that the 90% of Republican voters and the entire party establishment won't back his chosen course of action, no matter how repellent or illegal.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Speaking of Trump's approval rating, this is interactive and fun: https://civiqs.com/results/approve_president_trump?uncertain ty=true&annotations=true&zoomIn=true

Edited by David Miller on 08 June 2020 at 4:59pm

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Holy crap!
I hope my demographic doesn't vote, I am way in the minority as an independent when it comes to his approval rating....in practically every state!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Last year Republicans circulated, and Trump retweeted, a pseudolegal
argument that a president who was impeached but not removed from
office was eligible for a third term, as a do-over

If that was the case, Clinton could run again.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

357,000 is a big number but it still only represents .001% of the population.  

In general, is it more likely people who have a complaint voice their opinion or people who are content?  

It will be interesting to see if this poll is an accurate indicator of how the voting goes.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

A sample doesn't need to be large, just representative. Larger numbers can lead to disproportional representation within the data set and end up distorting results.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Three hundred pages, and I don't recall too many people on Trump's side.

Most people are not willing to sacrifice any semblance of normal life by angering the online mobs.  Cancel culture is a harsh mistress.

I know I was anti-Trump when he was elected but SJW's and liberals have backed me off that stance with their antics.  I thought fake news was a joke and wild accusation by Trump.  But I hadn't really cared.  The more I saw, the more I could see why he said it.

The various claims against Trump that I looked into from people who hated him never seemed to hold up to scrutiny.  Wild hyperbole, mind reading and histrionics are most of what I see.

Maybe I haven't researched the right topics but the one's I have, I don't see the complaints lining up with reality.  Much like the Democrats have made a game of targeting Trump, I think some people have followed suit.  Trump and the media don't get along and the media dictates "public perception" for most.

I don't see the purpose of going down a laundry list of everything he's done since he's been in office.  No President has ever made every right decision.  But I've liked some of his and disliked some.  I liked how he retaliated to the embassy bombing.  I like that he was in favor of withdrawing our troops from Syria and removing the US from that conflict.  I like that he improved the illegal immigration problem on our southern border.  

I don't like how he takes things too personally.  I don't like that he gets on Twitter at all.  I'm not sure if he's putting on an act and trolling the media or if he's as outrageous as some of his ideas.

I do know that he was elected primarily because he wasn't a politician and people were sick of the status quo.  That they admired his willingness to not back down.  I thought it was crazy but I also am sick of politicians.  Trump is a bullshitter, no doubt.  But somehow that seems different than the slimy, snake-like politicians.

Maybe smart people really can see something that he's up to that we should all be afraid of.  But I do not agree with the general sentiment and vitriol that he receives.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |