Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2020 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

You know, if Trump had only dealt with this Coronavirus situation constructively and with actual leadership....he probably would have sailed into a 2020 victory. Even after the impeachment trial (notice that nobody even brings that up anymore, not even Biden/Harris) and all of his other flaws. It wouldn't have been that difficult to do. But he's been excelling at shooting himself in the foot.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2020 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Let him keep firing away, Vinny!

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2020 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Prior to the first debate, a reporter said "Trump never misses a chance to miss a chance." If he had come our of hospital preaching new respect for the danger of COVID and encouraging everyone to wear masks indoors, and empathizing with people who have lost loved ones to the disease, the race would be competitive. But Trump is who he is, and he is too proud/stupid to change his behavior.

The Biden campaign should request the second debate have zero changes in format, since the public reacted so negatively to Trump's performance in the first one. And Trump would not change anything at all.

Edited by Peter Hicks on 16 October 2020 at 11:38am

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2020 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And Biden got more viewers. That's normally Trump's metric for who has won yeah?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2020 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just read that, Leigh, about the ratings. Biden won the ratings on one network over Trump on three (NBC, CNBC, MSNBC)! That hits Trump where he hurts the most! He is nothing if not about the ratings!
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2020 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This may be the most comprehensive take down essay of Trump I’ve ever read.  Its lengthy but I appreciate the amount of information in one place.   
Give this to your Trump loving relatives and friends.  See if they can read it and still give a cogent reason to support him.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2020 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Vinnie, I agree completely. I didn't think much of W. until we were attacked, and all of a sudden, the nut job wacko was handling things, and we united under him. Oh, he still kept things screwed up - but he got ONE thing right, and I think that bought him his second term.

Had Trump dealt more forcefully with Covid, even if the results had been exactly the same, we would have to be battening down the hatches for term #2. As it is, I'm preparing for this dumpy old man to resist leaving the White House. But we'll get him out. Oh yes we will. And I'm not counting out the 25th Amendment just yet...

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2020 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I mean, all he had to do last week was say as Christie is saying now: (paraphrasing) "I didn't heed the warnings about the virus, and I paid the price for it. It was a huge mistake. Don't do what I did. Please wear a mask." - and that alone would have gotten him a near double-digit boost. But he just can't help doubling down on stupidity.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2020 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Vinny Valenti wrote:
You know, if Trump had only dealt with this Coronavirus situation constructively and with actual leadership....he probably would have sailed into a 2020 victory. Even after the impeachment trial (notice that nobody even brings that up anymore, not even Biden/Harris) and all of his other flaws. It wouldn't have been that difficult to do. But he's been excelling at shooting himself in the foot.
I agree.  If you look at his approval rating average over at fivethirtyeight, the highest post-inaugural approval and lowest disapproval ratings he's had came in April of this year, when he was doing those daily briefings with Fauci and seemed to be taking the virus seriously.  He actually had his disapproval rating down to 50%, the lowest it's been since early 2017.  But he soon got bored with that and went off into his anti-mask/rush to reopen the economy tear, and things reverted to the mean.  I think you are correct that if he'd instead gone for a "we're at war with the virus, we're all in this together" message he would have gained popularity.  But of course that is entirely beyond his capability, as the only thing he knows how to do is create conflict, pit people against each other, and make some people feel good by belittling others.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 16 October 2020 at 2:45pm

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2020 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It was never in doubt that the man who claimed he meant to tweet "covfefe" would never admit to being mistaken about anything, much less the pandemic.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2020 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Trump had many, many, many chances to turn many corners.

If only he could (he can't) be a LITTLE less himself (he can't).

And, ya know, the f@cker still could win...!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2020 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I think in terms of votes cast, he could lose by a landslide. People are clearly motivated to vote, which is not a good sign for him. Why are people shaken out of their voter apathy: because they are happy with the status quo or because they are unhappy? I think it's the latter.

He might still somehow find a way to confound those votes in the courts, but if the majorities are large enough for Biden, I think even that avenue won't work.

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |