Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 55
Topic: Acting Presidential Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Eric Sofer wrote:
And let's also recall... a presidential pardon requires that the subject be found GUILTY.

Not so.  Presidential pardons can be issued premptively, before charges have even been filed.  The most famous pre-emptive pardon of course was Ford's pardon of Nixon.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Jason C. - ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Not that it looks any better.... "Did you hear? The president pardoned him!"
"Oh? What did he do?"
"Doesn't matter! The president had to pardon him! It must have been awful!"

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Accepting a Presidential Pardon usually carries an admission of guilt. However, like all things Legal, it can be complicated:

Interestingly, they can no longer plead the Fifth in regards to compelled questioning on the original charges, since they can no longer self-incriminate regarding it.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

This morning, I see the following about the shooting in Texas:

"Trump tweets 'May God be w/ the people of Sutherland Springs"

If this were any of the previous presidents, I'd think that it's the least they could do, but it's a nice gesture - it won't make any changes, but it's what a decent person would do.

With 45, I wonder if some advisor tweeted this on Trump's account, since he's too busy playing golf in Japan to even care about it. Although you can be god damned sure Trump won't call for the death penalty for this white murderer.

My cynicism has gone too far, I guess. I just don't believe that this is at all sincere, and not even necessarily from Trump.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Although you can be god damned sure Trump won't call for the death penalty for this white murderer.

Considering the shooter committed suicide, you're correct....

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

And let's remember, Trump revoked the Obama regulation to check for mental illnesses back in February.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Kevin - ah. Didn't know that. Not that it would stop Trump, mind you... <blush>.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

And let's remember, Trump revoked the Obama regulation to check for mental illnesses back in February.

There's a time I might have called it a conspiracy theory, but now I am convinced 45 hates Obama so much he will revoke EVERY piece of legislation if possible. 

Bitter, insecure, nasty and angry people will do that. 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Seems the GOP tax plan will likely be amended to include a repeal of an Obamacare rule disliked by conservatives that requires Americans to have health insurance coverage or pay a penalty.

Republicans sure are eager to complete some type of repeal so they can face voters next year with at least one major legislative achievement.

-C!

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Even a minor legislative achievement could be something to present voters. According to the White House Trump hasn't signed any bills into law since September, and then it was stuff like "The Bob Dole Congressional Gold Medal Act" and of course "The Joint Resolution condemning the violence and domestic terrorist attack that took place during events between August 11 and August 12, 2017, in Charlottesville, Virginia, recognizing the first responders who lost their lives..." which can't be the official name, but... maybe it is?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

11/19/1863- Lincoln gives Gettysburg Address

11/19/2017- Trump tweets ďNow that the three basketball players are out of China and saved from years in jail LaVar Ball is unaccepting of what I did for his son and that shoplifting is no big deal. I should have left them in jail!Ē

UGH!

-C!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 3:40am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

What a thin-skinned, egotistical prick he is. 

He's completely destroyed the dignity of the Office of the President.

There was the tweet calling Hilary Clinton a loser. As he often does, he ended the tweet with an exclamation mark. Calling someone "LOSER!" is very kindergarten.

I really hope he is kicked out of office or resigns soon. Who could bear three more years of this shit?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

He is like a dark, poisonous, polluted cloud covering this entire nation, affecting everyone in the country. On account of 45, we have no dignity, no good reputation, no respect, and have become a laughing stock of a country that other people have brought greatness to.

I have heard stupid comments that states wanted to secede from the USA... but if I were to hear any such rumors now, I would firmly believe them. Even the infrastructure of the country, notwithstanding that fucking moron*, is being warped and damaged.

Robbie is right. I don't know how we can withstand three more years of this. I heard noted (I think it was Samantha Bee) that we are, right now, in a Cold Civil War, and that could be more accurate than any of us want to believe.

*Don't blame me. I'm quoting the Secretary of State.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Although I am used to Cotton Candy Hair's tweets now, there are still times I wonder if a parody account is tweeting them. 

Attacking a woman who ran against you in the election, and then ending it with the word LOSER!, shows just what an egotistical, thin-skinned 'human' he is. That is kindergarten language. Until Cotton Candy Hair tweeted it, I had only heard teenagers use that word, especially on social media.

Pathetic individual. 

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Robbie, you are insulting kindergartners everywhere!  ;-)

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Trump is more honest than Dog's son? If this guy is not a plant there is a very real problem in the US.

Trump vs. Jesus
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Robbie, you are insulting kindergartners everywhere!  ;-)

True. ;-)

I feel sorry for Cotton Candy Hair's staff. True, they chose to be there (but when one is in employment, finding another job might not be instant). I would be stressed wondering what the buffoon's next tweet would be. Imagine the damage control at times.

I worked directly under a senior manager years ago, doing his admin. Normal person. No issues. But imagine if he'd been like 45. Imagine an environment where you go into work each day, log-on to your PC - and perhaps have to deal with the fallout because some immoral buffoon has tweeted lies/insults. What a headache that would be, eh?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Look at this:

Liar-in-Chief as far as I am concerned. Has he actually passed ANY legislation this year?

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

How about this one?

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Conrad Blackís commitment to the truth remains as shaky as his commitment to Canada.... anyone interested should read into his past felonies.... that'll paint a clear picture of the man.

-C!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2017 at 12:20am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

That man is utterly disgraced in the U.K. not surprised to see him defending Fart. His hold on reality is on a similar level. Canít believe he is still in newspapers

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2017 at 12:38am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I'm not going to defend Black on his past but I find it interesting that nobody challenges his ideas, but just comments on his criminal past (a common theme in Canada). I will add that he did his time and served his sentence. How is that relevant to his arguments?

Remember that he wrote some highly regarded biographies in the past as well as other books. He is not a hack writer. 

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2017 at 12:53am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

For example, I donít agree with the suggestion that Trump had anything to do with the Stock Market. The markets move more or less independently of who ever is in charge.  Boom and bust cycles (I admit that the latest boom cycle is running longer than usual) are common and I donít think he has enacted any policies that have had much of an effect on the economy. 

Edited by Neil Lindholm on 21 November 2017 at 12:53am

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2017 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Jobs are good and growth is solid. This has been on an upward curve since 2009 and there's no perceptible change in the rate of improvement since Trump took office. 

Besides, Janet Yellen, the head of the Federal Reserve, would be more deserving of kudos  than Trump if we were to lay responsibility for jobs and economic growth at the feet of any one person. In return, Trump has not kept her on and she leaves next February.

The stock market, as you say, is kind of its own beast. Some of its performance can be attributed to expectations over proposed tax changes. This story has still to play out fully though. Gains are also supported by corporate earnings; Trump has not done anything so far to say he deserves responsibility for boosting corporate earnings.

He has withdrawn from the Paris Accords. This really is down to him. I fail to see how this is a good thing.

"He has led the rout of ISIL". Well... ISIL (or ISIS as I use) held its most territory in 2014 and had lost most of its strongholds by the time Trump came into power. It lost its defacto capital Raqqa recently to a coalition of forces, the ground troops of which were mainly Kurdish. The US has contributed through a lot of airstrikes; I haven't seen evidence to suggest this contribution has increased markedly under Trump. I recall Trump complaining that the timing of troops taking Mosul was designed to make Hillary look good (?) and tweeted that the strategy was a total disaster.

"He will probably pass the greatest tax cuts and reforms since Reagan." Probably? How can Black claim something that has yet to occur as an achievement?

"Reduced illegal immigration by 80%" I'm struggling to find up-to-date, comprehensive data on this. Yardsticks certainly seemed to drop (that is, improve) in the early months of Trump's presidency. Interestingly, the figures suggest fewer people trying to cross, rather than more people being successfully blocked. I'm not going to speculate on the cause.

"Gained full Chinese adherence to unacceptability of North Korean nuclear military capability". This sounds like spin. Trump saying China fully agrees with him is one thing. What China says may be another and what China actually does in time is entirely another thing. There are some signs of a positive shift in stance from China, but how much of that was down to Tillerson, rather than Tillerson's 'moron'?

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2017 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Peter, I agree with what you said. I think Black is giving Trump way too much credit for things that are happening outside his control (or intelligence level). 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 55
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |