Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Music MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Music
Topic: Freddie Mercury’s Legacy, 25 Years On Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2016 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 1  

Worth a read if you're a Queen fan:

KISS will forever be my favourite band, but Queen are in a league of their own!
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2016 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 2  

Easily one of the Top 3 rock frontmen ever, and possibly even the best. More dynamic on stage than, say, Roger Daltrey, and a more versatile singer than Mick Jagger, in my opinion.

Nice to see the consensus has shifted to his favor over the years, though sadly, it didn't seem to happen until after his death, when the general public finally recognized what a talent he truly was.

Big fan here, too, of both Mercury and QUEEN.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2016 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 3  

Queen have certainly stood the test of time. And they never fail to get the blood pumping when I hear their songs. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2016 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 4  

Wow, I'm a huge fan and I almost missed this date.

Freddie was funny, musically and visually inventive, a great singer, a great songwriter, an unparalleled showman... and one wave short of a shipwreck :)

And Queen were just the tightest band imaginable. If I was given the chance to go back in time and see a band live, it would probably be Queen.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2016 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'd be very surprised to come across a rock music fan who didn't like Queen.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2016 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 6  

I think that in the U.K. we have always appreciated Queen and Freddie,the U.S. didn`t really get with the programme until Another One Bites The Dust,then because they didn`t `get` the I Want To Break Free video,Queen lost a lot of ground in the U.S.
I only got the chance to see them live once,on The Works Tour in 1984,bloody brilliant show!
I remember that A Night At The Opera was the first LP i bought with my Saturday job money,around 1978,litening to it on headphones in the dark blew my mind! I now have a 5.1 surround mix of the album,which sounds amazing!
Did any U.K. viewers see the C5 drama/doc that was on last Sunday? It revealed the tragic story behind Freddie`s death but the actors cast as Roger,Brian and John were laughably bad in both acting and casting,a very bitter sweet programme!
Yes,Freddie was a true showman,brilliant vocalist,musician and eccentric,oh how the world is poorer without him in it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2016 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 7  

P.S. just a thought,in a similar vein to the Kiss thread,how about this becoming a Queen thread?
I`ll start by asking what your favourite Queen album is and why?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2016 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 8  

Has to be A KIND OF MAGIC. Awesome tracks, great album art. Never tire of listening to it, Bill.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2016 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 9  

Excluding the unbelievably awesome first Greatest Hits album, I think my favourite is A Day at the Races.

It might be because that was the first studio album by Queen that I bought, but I also think it is more consistent than most of their albums (all their albums, I think, are sort of unbalanced by the singles to some degree). 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2016 at 10:58pm | IP Logged | 10  

For me it`s Sheer Heart Attack,i just love the production,the variety of musical styles and the way the album flows,Flick Of The Wrist is so under rated!
A Night At The Opera is my second favourite for the same reasons but it loses a point for Sweet Lady,which for some reason i hate!
Jazz is my next favourite...play Mustaphah at full volume,that Freddie was bonkers!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2016 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 11  

Your mention of the way Sheer Hear Attack flows has actually made me revisit Queen II, which is unbelievably seemless in the way tracks segue from one to the other.

Queen were really good at bleeding tunes into one another and there were examples throughout their history: see their live medleys; the way the ending of the Prophet's Song on Night At the Opera becomes Love of My Life; the way Freddie tacked A New Life Is Born on to the beginning of Breakthrough; and as you mention, Sheer Heart Attack does it really nicely too.

The way Queen II blends obviously created a headache for whoever programmed the CD when it got transferred. I have a reissued CD where they did a better job, but on the original CD transfer, they put the end of March of the Black Queen as the beginning of Funny How Love Is.

Edited by Peter Martin on 26 November 2016 at 9:06am

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2016 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 12  

Yes Peter i agree,the albums mentioned have great segue`s.I prefer the earlier albums even though i like all of Queen`s output,but i feel they got a bit safe both in production and songwriting from the 80`s onwards.The sad thing is,most people only know the singles and miss out on a lot of brilliant album tracks.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2016 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 13  

Without going too much off-topic, it's why I am dismayed when *some* young folk I know tell me they never buy albums, only tracks from iTunes.

Some albums need to be listened to in their entirety, i.e. "Dark Side Of The Moon" or "Destroyer". And the album artwork itself needs to be enjoyed, too. Would "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club" have been as iconic if iTunes had existed then and everyone just headed to that site to download individual tracks?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2016 at 2:07am | IP Logged | 14  

I agree Robbie,love the whole package,the cover art,the libretto etc.As we have stated,these albums aren`t just thrown together,they`re constructed with a flow,especially so in the Queen albums mentioned.How many brilliant album tracks are those single track downloaders missing? More fool them!
It irks me on Planet Rock`s request shows,people request songs like Enter Sandman for the 3 millionth time,what about requesting Fade To Black,Orion etc? Educate the masses!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2016 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 15  

I like both "A Night at the Opera" and "A Day at the Races" an AWFUL lot. Great songs, and I truly love some of the non-release tracks maybe even more than the hits. (Because while I liked it the first time, if I had to hear "You're My Best Friend" again... grr.)

But best of all of those first half-dozen albums or so...

NO SYNTHS!

This made me a Queen fan a LOT. Of course, computers and synthesizers have come really far since then, but still...

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2016 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 16  

The non-use of synth`s made them more inventive in the studio,Brian`s jazz band created entirely on guitar in Good Company,the vocal woodwind band in Seaside Rendezvous,the vocal section in Prophet`s Song? Would they have sounded as good created by computer? I doubt it! Also,i think the Roy Thomas Baker produced albums are the best,i feel the latter albums became a bit sterile.

Edited by Bill Collins on 28 November 2016 at 9:50am

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2016 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 17  

Freddie Mercury had one of the widest dynamic ranges of any singer I've heard - one of the reasons Queen songs are so hard to cover.

Not only no synths, but NO OVERDUBS.

Was Flash Gordon their first serious go at both these? I need to look that up.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2016 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 18  

Yes Freddie had a great voice,i was dismayed to see him smoking in nearly all the documentary footage,i was left thinking `Don`t abuse your brilliant voice`
Let us also remember that it was Roger who tackled the high notes on a lot of Queen records and that the combined harmonising of Freddie,Roger and Brian made Queen sound so unique.
On a related note...wasn`t Roger an effortlessly cool rock star!
Brian,i admire his `Save Me` work against animal cruelty.
John,i admire his decision to step down after Freddie`s death,without Freddie it ain`t Queen!
Which leads me to...should Roger and Brian go out under a different name when performing with Adam Lambert? 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2016 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 19  

Which leads me to...should Roger and Brian go out under a different name when performing with Adam Lambert?

Such a nuanced question - and any answer may be nuanced.

Yes, because, somehow, the "spirit" is still there. Just my humble opinion, of course. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2016 at 10:48pm | IP Logged | 20  

I agree Robbie,although maybe if the record new material,maybe not! I was not keen on the Paul Rogers period,his voice is just not suited to Queen,as good as it is!

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2016 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 21  

"...and a more versatile singer than Mick Jagger..."

OK, just now seeing this thread, as I don't often poke
my head into the music forum. Especially this year.
Anyway. While I think Mick is *fantastic* at what he
does, and works PERFECTLY with the Stones...well...I
believe my *dog* is a more versatile singer than Mick
Jagger.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2016 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 22  

Coming back to this thread, after not having looked at it for a while, in aswer to James' question above, The Game was the first album to drop the NO SYNTHS line from the album notes and go for it -- and I think they did a pretty subtle job on that album. Then they went a little overboard with it on the Flash album, probably to the detriment of the band sound.

In terms of no overdubs, I don't think Freddie needed to overdub, because he was so insanely consistent, but clearly the band were using every trick in the book available to them since Queen II.

I have a CD set that collects a lot of the studio recordings Freddie made, both released and unreleased. There's a very interesting track where it overlays a number of lead vocal tracks that Freddie made for Barcelona. These were individual recordings, made separately with no intention for them to be used together, but when they are overlaid, it's incredible just how similar they are. Almost identical. 

Edited by Peter Martin on 25 December 2016 at 9:07pm

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2016 at 2:09am | IP Logged | 23  

Peter,i have a 5.1 disc of The Game album,it sounds amazing.I can forgive the Flash Gordon album going overboard with synths as it was a movie soundtrack not a `proper` album.I do however think they got a bit too safe in the 80`s after the critical/commercial failure of Hot Space,both production and song-wise.
On a related note,look on youtube for the guy out of Keane Tom Chaplin singing It`s A Hard Life live with Roger and Brian,he really nails it.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2017 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 24  

--

Well they should, yes, but without the Queen brand name they wouldn't make any money. And money rules the music business. Some bands can survive losing key members (Genesis, Pink Floyd...), but Queen has clearly not been one of them. They haven't had a Top 40 hit in 20 years (except re-releases, that is)!

Without Freddie they've in effect become their own cover band, and it's not very flattering.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post Reply | Post New Topic |