Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Wars << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Jedi Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2017 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I think Rogue One is a genuinely bad film. Wonderful production design, but it takes forever to tell a story that doesn't need to be told AT ALL, and does it in a really uninvolving, boring manner. It's just so flat. There is nothing to Jyn Erso or Cassian Andor or any of the others.

The prequels may have been as dumb as a plank of wood at times, and a big letdown for the most part, but they did have the occasional spark in them. The Emperor was able to be gloriously evil. Compare that with Crennic's dull floundering. Even Annakin's whiny dick-headeness was preferable to Jyn Erso's nothingness.

To totally steal the words of the New Yorker magazine, Rogue One's script has 'all the emotional impact of a checklist or a call sheet.'
Back to Top profile | search

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2017 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I dare anybody to try and figure out the timelines and character aging and what not of those X-Men movies. What a hot mess!

As for SW I was 12 when it first showed, and I agree with JB, it just had not been seen before. The impact would last for a couple of years with my trading cards and figures.Then ESB started to be promoted and I tossed aside the first movie in anticipation. The newness would be gone forever from then on.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Not filling me with confidence, here.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

SO glad I don't care any more!!!!!!!!!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

QUOTE:
“I think you’ll find some things that’ll surprise you,” he said.
“They certainly surprised me. I said to Rian, I think I fundamentally
disagree with everything you’ve decided for me. Now having said that, I
have to accept it, get my mind around it and do my best to realize your
vision. Once I got into it, a lot of my fears went away.”

http://www.fandango.com/movie-news/mark-hamill-hints-that-
this-may-be-the-end-of-luke-skywalkers-journey-752159

A lot of fan and news sites are trying to portray Hamill as disgruntled,
but given the praise he offers Rian Johnson in other interviews, I don't
think that's the case at all.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Hmm.  I have a bad feeling they're gonna do a weird little flip by EPISODE IX, where you think it's going to be an epic showdown between Luke and Kylo Ren... but Luke somehow has turned to the Dark Side, and Kylo Ren is the one looking for redemption, and ends-up being the hero by the finale?

Hmm.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 22 April 2017 at 9:11pm

Monte Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2017 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Don't know about Luke turning to the Dark Side(even though that is a possibility, as with Rey as well) but yeah, Kylo is going to turn good at some point in the trilogy.  There's been way to many hints in The Force Awakens, alone.  

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2017 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

God, I hope not. There is NO coming back from killing Han Solo. 

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2017 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well, given the body count Vader racked up over 18 years before his redemption, wouldn't be surprised if Kylo gets turned back to the light in Episode 9...

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I want to see one of three things happen to Kylo Ren:

1. Fights Ren (and possibly Luke at the same time) and gets a lightsaber enema or `haircut'.

2. Gets his arm ripped off by Chewbacca, who beats him to death with it.

3. Fights Snoak to the death and either loses or they both die. 

No option where he turns good AND survives the trilogy is acceptable to me. At least Anakin turning to the dark side made sense, with him being manipulated by Palpatine. Ben Solo turned to the dark side due to hero worship of Vader and because he was rebelling against his parents. In other words....Kylo Ren is an idiot.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 24 April 2017 at 9:32pm

Monte Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2017 at 1:07am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Brian Floyd wrote:

At least Anakin turning to the dark side made sense, with him being manipulated by Palpatine. Ben Solo turned to the dark side due to hero worship of Vader and because he was rebelling against his parents. In other words....Kylo Ren is an idiot. 

Yeah... bro, Ben was manipulated by Snoke since infancy.  Truth be told when he was in Leia's womb Snoke was preying upon him.  Anakin was a whole hail of a lot older before Palpatine worked him over.   It's a lot easier to twist a kid up from infancy, their entire life than when they're in their adolescence. 

And we still don't know why Ben turned.  We've seen this before with characters; they start off bad, seemingly unredeemable and then the audience finds out something about their backstory; have a moment that makes you do a 180; or is just so cool he turns good because the fans want it to happen.  It's been done before with characters like Damon Salvatore, Mr Darcy, and The Green Ranger.  

Besides Ben is the last Skywalker.  If he doesn't live then there will be no one left to carry on the family bloodline.  Not to mention he's Han freaking Solo's son! On top of Darth Vader's grandson! He is the direct descendant of the two coolest characters in Star Wars.  As soon as he was born he had street cred.  There's no way Disney is killing off the Skywalker and Solo clan.  Just from a business standpoint they're not going to let that happen.

And a buddy of mine noted "Moreover, there's a subversion going on already which is that he's not becoming more like Vader but more like Anakin. The worst he could possibly do has been done in TFA. So that's when he was the closest to Vader - masked and believing that committing the unthinkable (patricide or youngling slaying) was going to end his pain/being torn apart/etc. But it didn't. The difference between him and Vader is that Anakin at the end of ROTS had no one left to believe in him. Obi Wan and Yoda were done with him, padme died, he didn't know about kids. He had nothing but Palpatine. OTOH, Kylo still has his mother, and Luke may think that Kylo should be killed but blood isn't water, and Rey doesn't want to kill him so there are 3 people, including our heroine, that could break Snoke's spell. Not to mention that putting him on the same island with Rey and Luke, far from Snoke's influence, will add up to something rather than "more evil".

Finally, LST spelled it out. "You cannot deny the truth that is your family." More evil would be still denying it and there's no story in that."

Edited by Monte Brown on 25 April 2017 at 8:51am

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2017 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm excited about a new movie. Hoping the plot will be a little deeper this
time around.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Fun fan parody of what might happen:

Luke to Rey: "You're Welcome!"

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

First behind-the-scenes look, courtesy of Entertainment Weekly:

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

"It's a wrap!!"  Hahaha.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

This film is slated to be the Empire Strikes Back of this generation, does anyone expect anything more?  JJ aped A New Hope and made Billions, why would Disney want to take a risk?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2017 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Entertainment Weekly has exclusive photos from STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI: LINK.

(Edited to merge thread.  Thank you, Matt! -- Tim)

Edited by Tim O'Neill on 11 August 2017 at 7:58am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

We'll be there opening weekend, as my young son loves all things STAR WARS, and he and my wife both loved THE FORCE AWAKENS...

...but I feel absolutely nothing for the hype of this movie.  I'll see it, but my gut tells me I'll shrug it off within an hour of leaving the theater.

Too much new STAR WARS, in too short of time period.  Within the course of 2 years, and the advent of a new film every year from 2015 until--whenever--there's nothing special about it anymore.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 11 August 2017 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Unlocking this thread to merge Matt H's post featuring EW photos.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2017 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

...but I feel absolutely nothing for the hype of this movie.  I'll see it, but my gut tells me I'll shrug it off within an hour of leaving the theater.

Too much new STAR WARS, in too short of time period.  Within the course of 2 years, and the advent of a new film every year from 2015 until--whenever--there's nothing special about it anymore.
++++++++

I know I'm in the minority on this, but, on October 30, 2012, when the Disney announced it had acquired Lucasfilm and would immediately put a Sequel Trilogy into production, I thought to myself, "Well, this is the beginning of the end of STAR WARS". I still feel that way. Oh, the series will still have legions of fans and a rightful place in film history, but, as an ongoing concern, it may eventually end up dying off or going into hibernation for a time. Oversaturation and homogenization equals diminishing returns and a loss of interests in today's world.

THE FORCE AWAKENS represented a unique situation in popular culture. The original STAR WARS trilogy generated a seemingly inexhaustible supply of goodwill toward the franchise, and was the undisputed kind of nerd culture for many years. The prequels damaged that, and many fans found themselves hoping for new and better STAR WARS, preferably without Lucas at the helm.

Well, be careful what you wish for. I equate TFA with visiting a hooker after a decade of forced celibacy. A long-pent up release which feels good at the time, but will not lead to a satisfying, long-term relationship. And may very well give you an STD. 

TFA is a well-made and entertaining film (and ended up a massive success, thanks to all that pent-up fan desire), but I think it's far from being a great film, and also far from being a great STAR WARS film. It gave the fans what they thought they wanted, but I think it did inestimable damage to the original characters and concepts. And, nearly two years later, many of the toys and merchandise are pegwarmers, and the film seems to have lost its initial luster. There's been more and more backlash against it, if people are still talking about it at all.

ROGUE ONE was a safe and passable film, and was again heavily dependent upon nostalgia rather than its own characters and concepts. And that's what STAR WARS has now become: safe, homogenized, and nostalgia-driven. 

THE LAST JEDI will surely echo THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK in many ways, just as TFA was Disney's attempt to remake STAR WARS for a new audience. That's all they'll need to get butts in seats, but it can't last forever. Especially when all of the original characters have aged out or been killed off. The only ones who could conceivably go on forever are Chweie and the droids (assuming people could accept someone else playing Threepio), and that's probably not enough. 

The major behind-the-scenes turmoil of the HAN SOLO movie is another storm cloud on the horizon. "But, it's okay, since that's not one of the main/numbered films", people say. Perhaps, but any STAR WARS film which is poorly received and/or underperforms (as this one may potentially end up doing) is still gonna hurt the brand.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 11 August 2017 at 10:59am

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2017 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

QUOTE:
Oh, the series will still have legions of fans and a rightful place in film history, but, as an ongoing concern, it may eventually end up dying off or going into hibernation for a time.

Let's say you are correct. How is this different from the state of STAR WARS in the 90s or post-prequels? 

If anything Star Wars is more ubiquitous than it's ever been, even more so than during the original trilogy. 

QUOTE:
I equate TFA with visiting a hooker after a decade of forced celibacy. A long-pent up release which feels good at the time, but will not lead to a satisfying, long-term relationship. And may very well give you an STD.

Dude. Stay classy San Diego. 

QUOTE:
And, nearly two years later, many of the toys and merchandise are pegwarmers

Pet peeve as a toy collector: You can't judge the success of a toy line by pegwarming. A store can order a single case of an action figure wave, and it'll sell out, or they could've ordered 50 cases, restocked several times over, and are stuck with the remnants of the last few cases. What I can say about Star Wars merchandise is that there's a lot of it, it's very broad, and stores continue to stock and restock it. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2017 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I retain some optimism because I don't see Rian Johnson as someone who's happy to just recycle what has gone before.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2017 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Let's say you are correct. How is this different from the state of STAR WARS in the 90s or post-prequels? 

If anything Star Wars is more ubiquitous than it's ever been, even more so than during the original trilogy. 
++++++

The key difference is time. The original fanbase is slowly aging out and/or dying. I know young people who love HARRY POTTER and other modern-day franchises, but have never seen STAR WARS, don't care about STAR WARS, and have no interest in even trying to watch STAR WARS. The new films have not penetrated popular culture in quite the same way (characters, catchphrases, moments). In their moment, they've been successful and talked-about, but then it's on to the next thing. Style over substance, empty calories over a satisfying meal.

The nostalgia fuel will eventually run out. STAR WARS has to evolve to survive. The current movies have been successful, but will they have staying power? Will kids and adults talk about them and love them and remember them for years--decades--to come? In today's one-weekend-wonder box office environment, that seems less and less of a concern. It's all about hopping on the hype train for the next one. And the next one. And the next one. Well, if a few of those next ones are poorly received, then the train may be derailed. As Shaun notes, pumping out a new movie every year causes them all to feel less special. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2017 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I retain some optimism because I don't see Rian Johnson as someone who's happy to just recycle what has gone before.
++++++++

I agree, but Disney has clearly shown a desire to maintain strong control over the films, and to keep things homogenized. This is not gonna be a series of auteur films set in the STAR WARS universe. Auteur directors can come to play in the sandbox, but, at the end of the day, they have to appease the corporate suits.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2017 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

The nostalgia fuel will eventually run out. STAR WARS has to evolve to survive. 

------

Why is that a goal? I really don't understand the issue here. Either the new stuff catches on, and younger audiences have their own STAR WARS to hold on to, or it doesn't, and STAR WARS goes back to being a product of its time.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |