Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Wars Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Jedi Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2017 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Official title reveal from StarWars.com:   http://www.starwars.com/news/the-official-title-for-star-war s-episode-viii-revealed

Simple.  To the point.  At first blush I kinda like it!

Discuss.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member

L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 23 January 2017 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I like it, but I guess I could wander over to a STAR WARS forum to find out all the reasons I shouldn't.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2017 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm okay with it. Sounds better than Phantom Menace did at the time it was announced.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Spurlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2017 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

So the dismemberment of the OT continues? We go from the Return of the Jedi to the Last Jedi. What will IX be called? The Return of the Return of the Jedi?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven McCauley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2017 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm just glad it isn't "The New Order Strikes Back"

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2017 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

>>I'm just glad it isn't "The New Order Strikes Back"<<

I assume you mean The First Order and not the British rock band.  ;)

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2017 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

But as someone has pointed out to me, Jedi can be plural.

Jaren Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2017 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

QUOTE:
So the dismemberment of the OT continues? We go from the Return of the Jedi to the Last Jedi. What will IX be called? The Return of the Return of the Jedi?

Episode IX title will be "No. There is another..."

Haha

The undoing of the OT does seem to be happening to spin new yarn about of these Star Wars Sequels (OT/PT/ST). Not much of Return. Luke's neo Jedi Order collapsed even before the events of TFA. 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 23 January 2017 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

So, last Time Lord, last Dalek, last Jedi....

Last shred of imagination........

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2017 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Simple, straightforward... but uninspired.

And hey! Didn't they swipe this from an old Marvel STAR WARS cover, no less?

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 23 January 2017 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Ah, Walt Simonson when he wasn't as good as he is now -- but still made me consider plumbing as a career alternative!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2017 at 12:06am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The undoing of the OT does seem to be happening to spin new yarn about of these Star Wars Sequels (OT/PT/ST). Not much of Return. Luke's neo Jedi Order collapsed even before the events of TFA. 
++++++++++

Considering that, only two movies ago, we had the RETURN of the Jedi, this definitely highlights the incongruity of the sequel trilogy when stacked up against the original. I have to wonder how the films will play, marathon-wise, with the sudden jump from ROTJ to TFA.

The old Expanded Universe did its job (keeping the brand alive without really doing anything permanent to the characters) and extrapolated where things would go, post-JEDI, in a way which at least made sense. Luke rebuilds the Jedi order, Han and Leia (who cultivated her Jedi potential) are happily married. The New Republic florishes, although there are still threats from within and without. 

The actual sequel trilogy has gone pretty much the opposite route on every front. The Rebels didn't actually win, and the Empire wasn't really defeated. Luke failed at rebuilding the Jedi order (putting the lie to the title of RETURN OF THE JEDI), and went off to hide with his tail between his legs. Han and Leia broke up. Everyone's miserable, and a new generation of Mary Sue-esque characters has to come along and continue the war until such time as the franchise becomes unprofitable.

My first thought upon seeing this title is that Luke's probably a goner. Betcha it's a double-meaning title, with Rey ending up as the last Jedi after Luke dies. Of, it could be a story about the two of them (Jedi, plural) er...striking back against the First Order.

My gut feeling when this trilogy began was that Han would die in movie one, Luke in movie two, and Leia would be the lynchpin/survivor of movie three, since her son is the main baddie, and she has the biggest emotional stake in that. Reports are that Leia was to play a key role in IX, which lends some weight to that idea. Carrie Fisher's untimely death may well have put an end to that hypothetical plan. Perhaps Luke will indeed make it into IX, even if only as a Force-ghost. We shall see!

David Spurlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2017 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Wait! I got it...

Star Wars : Episode IX Rey of Hope!

Just kidding, but in all seriousness I hope you're wrong Greg. It would make sense for Disney to finish off the so-called Skywalker saga though. Eliminate all of the Skywalkers and then start their own SW films with the new characters to try and milk the franchise for every cent they can.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2017 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

"New Order Strikes Back" sounds like a Joy Division album title.

EP IX: No Really, The Last Jedi
EP X: Maybe We Found One More
EP XI: Rey's Twin Brother Jay (You can call me Rey, You can call me Jay)

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2017 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Well so much for the Jedi religion. You're all just lightside force practitioners now guys. Walt's mega-revenant ain't having none of it. You got moused. 

No word on how this affects the Temple of Fast Herby or the Apple Dumpling Sect.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2017 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Episode XII: The Last Half A Sith

Darth Maul is back and more powerful than ever though rapidly succumbing to senility. Finn and his 8 clones including '2 headed Finn' and 'webbed fingers Finn' try to keep Maul from cornering the market on Tibana Gas filtration via commodities market hi-jinks as Rey continues her bizarre mutation into a giant space whale thing that kick-boxes with First Order cruisers. Worse, a resistance agent finds a mysterious man frozen in Carbonite in the depths of the palace of former frontier mobster Jabba on Tatooine. Could this be the real Han Solo? If so, who lead the rebellion to victory on the forest moon of Endor before fathering a sociopathic demon child and then slinking off to become a failed monster smuggler? And why is Luke still staring off into space and mumbling to himself? Is he okay? He doesn't look okay. 

Edited by Emery Calame on 24 January 2017 at 7:14pm

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2017 at 8:08pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

This reminds my that I'm really looking forward to spaceballs 2. 

EP IX: The last Jedi and the holy Grain
EP X: The life of the last jedi.
EP XI: a clockwork last jedi. 

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2017 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Bwah ha ha!

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2017 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

HA! Fantastic.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2017 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Greg 'The old Expanded Universe did its job (keeping the brand alive without really doing anything permanent to the characters)
------------

They killed Chewie. That was pretty permanent. Luke lost a wife, Han and Leila got married, had kids and lost two of them.

That all seemed pretty permanent at the time.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2017 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Other than the Chewbacca dying at the beginning of the Vong series, really the Vong series was brutal lost of named character

Most of the other things seem the direction things were pointed at the end of JEDI. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2017 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Han and Leia's kids dying was pointed at at the end of Jedi?

Come on guys, please. The old EU was not this rosy continuation people are saying it was. Characters died. Luke had a pretty deep, permanent wound by the last few books, and that's not even mentioning the state of play by the time of the Legacy comics.

Were the characters as split as they were in TFA? No. Jedi were established but there was a clear imperial remnant, that actually, for a time, was in charge of the new republic. The was a melancholy to Han and Leia's marriage as they had lost two children. Luke, while still having his son, had lost his wife. The nature of the force, Especially post NJO was beginning to go off the rails with the whole Abeloth thing and the ever changing explanation of what Jacen's vision actually was and what it meant.

There was a lot of good in the old EU - Thrawn and the X-Wing series being about the best it got, but it had nullified the happy ending of Jedi just as much as TFA did, and in a similar timespan - roughly 40 years

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2017 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

killed Chewie. That was pretty permanent. Luke lost a wife, Han and Leila got married, had kids and lost two of them.

That all seemed pretty permanent at the time.
+++++++++

I was generalizing, but yeah, there's that. My point was that the EU creators extrapolated things from the end of JEDI, and then kept them pretty much in the same place. Luke rebuilds the Jedi Order, Han and Leia stay together, Leia goes full-Jedi, and the New Republic sticks around.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 25 January 2017 at 3:29pm

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2017 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

James>>but it had nullified the happy ending of Jedi just as much as TFA did, and in a similar timespan - roughly 40 years<<

Just so.  Excellent point.  If the story has to be continued, there still has to be trouble afoot.

If they wanted Rey and Company to have a completely blank slate to play with, they'd have to set it in different era or someplace remote and NOT put Episode VII in the title.

For the record, I'd probably have been fine with that.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2017 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

But Greg, they didn't keep them in the same place. Look at the Legacy comics - you have Stormtroopers, ISDs, an Empire and everything. Cade is even an ambiguous Jedi.

Page of 12 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |