Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Dr. Who << Prev Page of 12
Topic: Capaldi’s Final Series Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2017 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

A bit of a similar resolution to the previous one, and quibbles about the 'modern sensibilities' of a couple of the Romans, as well as the bits with the crows, but, yes, definitely a solid episode. I definitely prefer the more somber, thoughtful episodes to a steady diet of 'manic and shouty because we're all going to die in thirty seconds'.

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 19 June 2017 at 1:59pm
Back to Top profile | search

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Another story that I'm trying to imagine as a classic 4-parter.  I really don't care about the characters in these 44min stories.  Was there an explanation as to why only the teenaged Scots and Romans remained alive?

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 7:47pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The Romans ran away. The Scots were never a part of the battle. At least I don't recall hearing them say that they were a part of the battle. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

quibbles about the 'modern sensibilities' of a couple of the Romans
~~~~~~
We don't really know if the modern sensibilities would have been out of place in Roman.  I'd say that there is a chance that their attitudes towards sexuality might have been kind of loose. 

Between their pagan belief system and the orgies. I'd think they would be somewhat open minded about matters of the flesh.

There are many instances of same sex acts represent in art from various time periods.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 22 June 2017 at 8:06pm

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Good points, although I was referring to the two soldiers who sounded a lot more '21st century colloquial' in their speech patterns. It may be that the telepathic connection can 'filter' speech to match the listener(Bill in this case).

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2017 at 12:08am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Good points, although I was referring to the two soldiers who sounded a lot more '21st century colloquial' in their speech patterns. It may be that the telepathic connection can 'filter' speech to match the listener(Bill in this case).
~~~~~~~~~~~~``````
I think that is a good explanation. That fits with what Bill was talking about when she figured out why they all understood each other.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2017 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I kind of wish one of the romans had snapped to the young scots that some spanish celts campaigning in Macedonia some 450 years prior, following Brennus taught Rome the folly of leaving people in peace by sacking the city & proclaiming "vae victus" as they cheated in negotiating a ransom. 

Edited by Emery Calame on 23 June 2017 at 11:56am
Back to Top profile | search | email

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2017 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The Scots were never a part of the battle. At least I don't recall hearing them say that they were a part of the battle. 
------------------------------------------
Yeah, basically, it was the Scot woman's job to keep the beastie locked up.  The Roman were coming to conquer her people, so she let the beastie go, hoping that in the resulting fracas, the Romans would kill it, but it would kill enough of the Romans that her people could fight off the rest.  And then it sort of went awry when it wiped out the Romans and then was wounded and pissed off, and coming for her people as well.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2017 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I know that, but I couldn't figure out where all the adults were.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2017 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

She said something about "Our families/parents were killed in the battle".Basically,  the adults went off to fight, the 'kids' stayed behind.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2017 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Tonight's episode was such a heart breaker.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2017 at 12:26am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I admit they fooled me,then the end was heartbreaking.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2017 at 2:33am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Zathras is easy impression to do. Everyone does good Zathras. Zathras doesn't care. He does as he is told. Poor Zathras.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2017 at 3:30am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Emery,that`s it! I knew it was B5 and i knew it was Tim
Choate played him,but i couldn`t think of his name
Zathras!

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2017 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Must admit I was left feeling a little disappointed. When Derek Jacobi was revealed as the Mater way back when and then regenerated into John Simm, it was all a total surprise to me and I enjoyed it so much. For tonight, I knew that Simm was returning, guessed the reveal and was left feeling a little deflated.

I only hope next week's episode with a potential regeneration recaptures how I felt before.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2017 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

That's funny. I knew Simm was returning (thanks BBC), and I saw a tweet about someone hiding in plain site, so I was looking for him. I haven't seen much pre-Moffat WHO but I'd seen the ones that counted.

But I thought the reveal was great despite all that, on its own dramatic merits. (The disguised Master's intrigued questioning of Missy was great.) If I hadn't been spoiled I might have found it as thrilling as Capaldi's appearance in the 50th Anniversary Special.

I loved the "My name is Doctor Who" bit, but I bet it made some Moffat-weary fans grind their teeth to pieces.

Edited by David Miller on 25 June 2017 at 12:58pm
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2017 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Yeah, Moffat had a few more "Doctor Who" meta/fourth wall jokes to get out of his system before leaving. I thought it worked coming from Missy though. I liked the Exposition and Comic Relief being genders bit.

I thought the rest of the episode was the right mix of sci-fi and horror. 

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2017 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

The "Doctor Who?" stuff irritated me twice as much because the rest of the episode was good.  As others have mentioned, the BBC spoiled the shizz out of this episode, with talk of the Mondasian Cybermen and John Simm coming back. 

They could have gotten the same amount of levity out Missy just saying something like "Hi, I'm Notthedoctor, these are my expendables..."

My only other beef is the TARDIS always works perfectly except when it doesn't, but honestly that's been a conceit of the show since the old days. (The inverse could be said as well, the TARDIS doesn't work accurately, except when it needs to for plot reasons). 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2017 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Good episode. My wife and I spent a while debating whether it actually was Zathras but then I remembered he had passed away. Then figured it actually was John Simms. At no point did we not think it was the Master though.
I like the origin of the tear, my wife, not so much. But then, it reminded me of the Doctor Who weekly stories of the Cyberman with a soul and the end of his first story, where the teardrop becomes a tear.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2017 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The TARDIS not working properly at times was explained away in the Eleventh Doctor episode where it got a human body: It took him where he needed to be, not necessarily where he wanted to go.

The Master reveal got me, but I saw the other reveal coming a mile away, sadly. 

Dammit, I'm not ready for Capaldi to go yet. Tennant left at the right time, while Smith stayed a little too long.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2017 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I wish Capaldi would stick around, too. It'd be nice to see him work with a fresh new team. 
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2017 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Can we just blame Capaldi's unfortunate 'three seasons in four years' situation on  Moffat? His overrated ass needed a year off from DOCTOR WHO to write more SHERLOCK. That went well...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 12
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |