Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Thor: Ragnarok Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2017 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

As long as she's not Brunhilde from THE DEFENDERS I can live with it. There are many Valkyries. 
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2017 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

In my eyes she's a Valkyrie not THE Valkyrie,that's
Barbara Norris a blue eyed blonde.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2017 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I WANTED her to be Brunhilde/Barbara Norris, THE Valkyrie from the Defenders.  I am out of luck, I know.  

Marc

Greg Nyman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

On a family trip to Disneyland the past couple days we checked out the new Thor: Ragnarok preview they have at the DCA park. The preview started with scenes from when Thor first meets the Grand Master, and as a big Kirby fan I was delighted with what I saw. The Grand Master had a group of 20 or so guards/troops around him and they all looked straight out of a Kirby sketchbook. I read that the director cited Kirby as a huge influence in the look for the movie. I remember hearing the same thing from those involved with the first Fantastic Four film, but this time it looks to be true. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"Oh Brunhilde, you're so lovely...."
"Yes I know it, I can't help it..."

Dare I look for a bald Norse warrior with a spear and magic helmet? :)

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

What I like about all the ads so far is that Cat Blanchett as Hela looks like just the kind of nasty villain that the Marvel films so desperately need.

Loki was great in THE AVENGERS at least, but all other attempts at the heavies have been surprisingly limp.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Featurette on Cate Blanchett's Hela:

In most of these scenes she's wearing her headdress, so I'm excited to see that it's more than a one-second appearance to satisfy comic fans. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Reading that the early reports on Thor: Ragnarok are overwhelmingly positive.  so much so that Marvel studios is lifting the critics embargo fairly early.  

The movie appears to be another hit for the MCU.  Word is that the humor and action are all spot on and each of the characters shine.  
Chris Hemsworth's Thor especially.  

So the really funny part is reading the naysayers who are lamenting yet another MCU feature that embraces humor!  The negative comments are typically from guys.  And they all scream about the wimpy, kiddie Marvel movies that dare to be funny in an attempt to entertain!  As if humor is not a tool for entertainment!

You would think these guys have the perception of their own manhood tied to these movies or something....

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 12 October 2017 at 1:02pm

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

If the early reviews are that positive, I can't wait to see the movie (well I can't wait regardless, the trailers have been so good).

I prefer "light" humor, but I don't think the character of Thor should be for comic relief. From the trailers and bits I've seen, Thor has been almost a goof. I can understand how the masses may like humor more, and maybe Marvel wouldn't have done as well if they were DC-serious but I'm good with seriousness.

Starlord works for me because his quirkiness makes him unique. Stark is a smart ass so his snarky remarks are spot on. Spiderman is the original wise-cracker so it would be wrong if he wasn't funny. 

I didn't like the cloak of levitation with a personality in Doctor Strange.

I think thats why I prefer the more serious characters like Black Panther and Captain America. 

Regardless, looking forward to seeing this flick.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I loved the wrestlemania vibe of the trailers. James Gunn posted this on Facebook and it sounds like the movie is hitting the exact spot I hoped it would:

James Gunn wrote:
I don't think any film of the modern era has captured the batshit crazy fun of 80's classics like Flash Gordon and Buckaroo Banzai as well as Taika Waititi has here. I felt like I was fourteen watching a magical VHS tape that exploded into something grand.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

But isn't the 'humor' surrounding Thor thus far a result of him being so...out of touch with the humans around him?  And the fact that he is a god amongst men?  

Look at the bits of funny stuff from his appearances.

"I need a horse!"

"Another!"

"If there's too much weight you lose power in the swing."

"Alright then..." (after Vision hands him the hammer)

"You're not worthy."

He's not being 'goofy' (to me).  He is making quips that are funny due to the circumstance.  

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I enjoy Hemsworth as Thor. I probably shouldn't, given that his personality is indeed less serious than that of the comics' Thor. And none of the Asgardians even speak in Early Modern English -- "thee" and "thou" and so on. Never heard "I say thee nay!!" in the MCU. 

And yet it doesn't bug me. Maybe it just wouldn't work in a movie. 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

It barely works in the comics. There are many reasons why Walt Simonson's THOR is considered the post-Lee/Kirby high mark, and one of them is the way he de-emphasized the faux-Shakespeare.  

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

But they did use thee and thou in Walt’s run. 

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

After the second trailer, I told a friend that the movie seemed to have a FLASH GORDON movie vibe. I'm not unhappy about that.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Brian, Walt significantly reduced the thee and thou-ing, reserving it more for  formal situations and battles, while the conversational language was largely contemporary. It was discussed on the letters page; I don't recall if the reader who asked about it out wrote in to complain.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 10:06pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

He's not being 'goofy' (to me).  He is making quips that are funny due to the circumstance. 

You forgot about:

"He's adopted."

That was a great come back.

Having humor is ok, and in past movies Thor has mostly been serious, with some good one-liners.

My comment about his goofiness was directed mostly at the new trailers. And I just see Thor being used as comic relief more and more. I think they saw Stark being comedy relief as a main character, Quinn doing comedy relief as a main character, so thought, hey let's make Thor comedy relief too. In fact lets make every main character a comedian. And the crowd goes wild.

I thought Thor as a roommate (those videos that are out there, don't remember what they named it) were fantastic, because they weren't meant to be taken serious. But it just seems they want that comedian in the real movie.

I think the Guardians of the Galaxy, as a comedy, was greatly entertaining. I've never followed that group of characters n the comics so for me it was a clean slate with no expectations. Other's might not like Drax the way he is portrayed.

I think for many movie goers, a funny Thor will be more entertaining since they have no expectations either (other than the previous movies).

I'm sure it's a good move for Marvel for overall enjoyment. And I'm sure I'll like the movie. But I'm just in the basket of folks who wouldn't mind a confident, serious, badass, godlike, almost arrogant Thor. 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 10:21pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I won't take a bullet for Marvel on this. Their Thor is goofy. Their Loki is sympathetic. Their Tony Stark is a wiseass. And so on. It works. In context. Mostly.

Once the actors take control of the characters, the characterization runs through the channels of the actors' personalities and craft. I read a biography of Ian Fleming once, which reproduced some of his letters to Albert Broccoli as they prepared DR NO, while almost mournfully observing that Sean Connery had assumed Fleming's role as James Bond's true caretaker. And so with the Marvel movies.

It's something my background in theatre makes me totally fine with (I like offbeat character reinterpretations (although I think some, like Chris Evans's Cap, are closer to the classic comics than a lot of the comics I've read)), but it's also a legitimate reason so many fans hate the films.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I don't find the film version of Loki sympathetic at all.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

MCU's Loki is a villain that you love to hate. The comics version, when done right, is the same.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Just saw a trailer. Now I'm imaging a roomful of Hollywood fat cats throwing darts at a board with dominant personality traits listed on it.

"Okay, so Valkyrie will be...."

Fidelity. It's just a word on an old vinyl record.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I'd really like Marvel Studios to start playing down Tony Stark-as-wiseass. It's Hawkeye who's supposed to be the wiseass in the Avengers. Enough snark from Stark. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I'd really like Marvel Studios to start playing down Tony Stark-as-wiseass.
-------------------------------------------------
I'm mixed on this.  You're right that its not true to the comics, but I like movie Tony a lot more than comic Tony.  I never connected with Iron Man in the comics.  Given, my exposure to the character was entirely post-Demon in a Bottle.  I generally connect with superheroes on one of two levels.  Either they're a hero I aspire to be more like (Superman, Captain America) or someone I identify with (Spider-Man, the FF).  My pre-teen self didn't find much to connect with in a billionaire alcoholic playboy.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Iron Man was never a favorite of mine either, outside of the context of the Avengers. On his own I didn't find him that interesting. My complaint rests more on how the MCU depicts Hawkeye. HE'S not that interesting in the movies. But I love the traditional comics version, the wiseass with an authority problem, the most normal guy on a team of gods and super-scientists and mutants and a "peak human" with an ultra-noble personality (Cap, of course). 

I wanna see that guy in future Avengers movies. (I wanna see him in a more traditional costume too. If Cap wears a mask despite his identity being public, Clint should get a mask too!)

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

LINK

"First and foremost a comedy."

That's what you all want from a Thor movie with RAGNAROK in the title, right?

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |