Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Thor: Ragnarok SPOILERS start Pg 6 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

My initial reaction was that the movie was "good", but the more I think about it the less and less I like.  I don't know who Jeff Goldblum was playing, but it wasn't any Grandmaster I ever read about.  Humor is fine but this was overdone.  Asgardians were a warrior people last I read, not the frightened farmers I saw being led around.  And falling through a space warp which could lead anywhere in the universe... into a lame Hulk plot from a decade ago.  Yuck.  I expected an actual explanation for that staggering coincidence and it never arrived.  And while I get the whole "fighting to get back home" plot, the two scenarios (Planet Hulk and the invasion of Asgard) were just too disconnected for me.

And a missed opportunity...  Doctor Strange, the Hulk, and Valkyrie in the same movie.  So close to getting the real Defenders onscreen instead of that Netflix nonsense.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Saw it, loved it.

Not nearly the wall-to-wall comedy people are making it out to be (someone on Facebook has commented that this is almost Marvel Studios' version of SPACEBALLS, which I completely disagree with)... it's very broad at times, but the action is fun and the quieter moments are very effective.  And while there was some mild innuendo here & there, it wasn't nearly as vulgar and obnoxious as GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, VOL. 2 (which gets my vote as the one Marvel film that counts as an unrelenting joke-a-thon).

For me, easily the best of the three THOR films, and an above-average entry from the Marvel Studios brand.  It can be kind of a mess--while trying to cram in so many different (and disparate) elements, characters, actors and storylines--but the whole is just so damned enjoyable.  The first two I find rather dull and plodding, but this one was a breeze to sit through.

And my 7-year old son loved it as well, even claiming it to be "one of the best movies ever!"

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

For some nutty reason that Hollywood Reporter article throws shade on Joss Whedon's Avengers movies. I know he's gotten into a bit of trouble with the liberal circles he used to be a champion of, but it doesn't make his movies any worse. 

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

What Shaun said.

It clicks right along. I look forward to repeat viewings.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I liked it! I even liked a fair amount of the humor. I just don't prefer Thor as the humorist though. His interaction with Loki in the "Get Help" scene...totally funny and appropriate. Other times, not so much.

I didn't like KORG. 

Waititi is just wrong, wrong, wrong, voicing a character made of stone. And how much money did he spend just to delivery a punch line?

Does anyone else think this may have been Mark Ruffalo's last time as Banner? He may come back as the Hulk, or he may not, but I think they may have set this up as the end of Banner. His claims he won't come back. His argument with the bifrost bridge (you know what I mean), and he(Ruffalo) getting nearly last billing in the credits. Thoughts?

Warriors Three - why even be on screen, Volstagg and Fandral had a tiny amount of screen time.....why even bother. Where was Lady Sif while all this was happening? Off world with Beta-Ray Bill?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I liked it. Korg’s voice was irritating.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Korg reminded me of Darth Maul: looks of a monster, voice of a grad student.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Does anyone else think this may have been Mark Ruffalo's last time as Banner? He may come back as the Hulk, or he may not, but I think they may have set this up as the end of Banner. His claims he won't come back. His argument with the bifrost bridge (you know what I mean), and he(Ruffalo) getting nearly last billing in the credits. Thoughts?

—-

He is AVENGERS 3 and 4, but I did think they left it open for a Banner-less Hulk in a future movie. I wouldn’t read into the last billing though. Last billing after the “with” or “and” is for big-name actors with less screen time. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Loki’s reaction to seeing the champion was Hulk was one of the best scenes in all the Marvel movies. Then, he one-upped it with “see, that’s what it feels like!” Absolutely priceless. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Also, seeing Beta Ray Bill on the wall of champions was cool, but it REALLY made me want to see him in the movie.  

Richard Fisher
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I hated this movie. It was very much laugh at not laugh with humor. Numerous times Thor was shown to be a buffoon. This is the first Marvel Studio movie I won't buy.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 11:17pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

“see, that’s what it feels like!” 

Yep Brian....funniest line in the movie.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 1:36am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

This movie made me realize how much I dislike bullet time as a directorial technique.  It's not horrible in and of itself, but like swearing and shaky-cam it's overuse makes every fight in every movie seem samey -- regardless of the film or genre. 

Going to see this film tonight I'm also reminded of why I usually avoid the opening week(s) of blockbuster films.   Yet again, I'm just plain unlucky to end up seated beside the one guy who feels the need to display his knowledge of comic book characters to his date who looked like she was dragged to the film and could care less.  I can take laughs, gasps, snickers, and even the rustling of popcorn bags and candy wrappers -- those are part and parcel of  the cinema experience.  It's the constant chattering of morons and their unawareness of anyone else that's particularly irritating.

Film-wise it was ok, but I think the Marvel films are starting to fall into a trap where it's expected to be chock full of humour and fist bumping crowd pleasing scenes.  Comedy is fine, especially when it breaks the tension in an otherwise tense or emotional scene but like bullet time it's overuse starts to get stale.   

Goldblum played the Grandmaster a little too Goldblumy (if that can indeed be a thing).   Actors with very narrow ranges can do wonders if their characters are written well and the director knows how to handle them.  Goldblum's a lot like Nicolas Cage in that respect -- you know what kind of performance you are going to get when you cast them.

I'll now refer to the "Warriors Three" as the Worfs Three -- because they served only to demonstrate how powerful and badass the big bad was by getting themselves quickly erased from the MCU.  It's a shame Balder and Sif are absent from this film as they might have put up a better fight.  Hela on the other hand was just about note-perfect in look and performance.  Clancey Brown as Surtur was great, if a little too similar to the 'farting dragon' he played years ago on SAMURAI JACK.

Stan still wears his wedding ring <sniff>.  RIP Joan.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 1:56am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Taika Waititi's choice to evoke FLASH GORDON's camp but with intentional instead of unintentional humor sets an ideal tone for a superhero film. A movie about Thor and Hulk fighting in the Contest of Champions ought to laugh-out loud awesome.

One of the things I liked about Waititi's camp antecedent Joel Schumacher's Bat-movies were the way he literalized poses and panels directly from the comics page, though they looked frozen and stiff, and Waititi did the same, a little more naturally. And he went further; I found scenes and dramatic transitions brought to mind the peculiar flow of superhero comics between scenes, and panel to panel, adapting the very language of comic book storytelling to a time-based medium.

That way Thor twisted comically on his chain throughout Surtur's villainous monologue was a good example of a literal comic book moment (at least something that could have been a comic book moment), deconstructing the difference when a still panel is adapted to motion, with the logic justifying laughs and not darkness. The way Mjolnir takes long enough to return to Thor's hand to allow an extra comic beat is another.

A convention played straight was Hela and Skurge by themselves in the Asgard throne room. Marvel has had a lot of villains spending their post-victory interregnum between defeats occupying a chair with nobody but immediate lackeys to talk with, as if trapped in a Jean-Paul Sartre play. 

Personally, I think that kind of specificity proves Marvel's good faith threading the needle between R.E.S.P.E.C.T and F-U-N. Thor may by goofy and informal in these movies, but steering into Hemsworth's strengths results in an improvement on past efforts. Thor still alternated between more casual conversation and bombastic fight-speak the way he did in Walt Simonson's comics, just with the formality having already dialed way down to begin with.

2017 was definitely Marvel's Year of Comedies (and LOGAN), but it happened by accident when Spider-Man displaced Black Panther into next February. ANT MAN AND THE WASP will probably be a comedy, but BLACK PANTHER and INFINITY WAR (Guardians of the Galaxy crossover aside) look like they'll be as straightforwardly superheroic as the MCU gets. 

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER was nine years in for the James Bond franchise, so by that time scale RAGNAROK arrived right on schedule. So we should be on the lookout for the MOONRAKER stage sometime around 2023. Will that be before or after the movies reach the equally inevitable SUPERMAN VERSUS THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN phase? Can't wait to find out. 

If these movies included bombastic voice overs by Stan Lee, would that be too funny?

Edited by David Miller on 05 November 2017 at 2:08am

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 3:48am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

“Another day, another Doug.”

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Bill C., WAAAY after the fact... the heroes I mentioned in Thor's movie were the equivalents of the Justice League, in which Superman is dead (but gets better...)

I saw the movie yesterday... details to follow (so you've been warned. :-)

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I saw Thor yesterday. I was not entirely pleased... it probably gets a C+ on my grading of such movies.

The story went so far off the Thor-legend rails that I stopped thinking of it as Thor the God of Thunder and more as Thor the fictional super hero named after an Asgardian... rather the way I think Stan intended the character originally. 

Hel is Loki's daughter, not Odin's. And she IS the goddess of Death... but she has her own role as well, and seeing her as an executioner and Thor and Loki's big sister just rang wrong.

Either it's Ragnarok or it's not. Since Ragnarok is Doomsday... then it's not. Odin spent much of his existence trying to find a way to postpone it (it couldn't be stopped... it was inevitable.) Just destroying Asgard was impressive... but unsatisfying. (And taking the Asgardians to Earth seems a bit too "expanding Kandor on earth" in its tone.) 

Enough about losing the legend. Most people wouldn't have noticed, so maybe I'm too specifically focused.

The action was very exciting, and was pretty good. The Thor-Hulk fight was terribly introduced because very single commercial showed it. Had it been a surprise, I would have been delighted. As it was, I was just waiting out the Hulk's appearance with disappointed anticipation.

But that fight was really good. I also LOVED Thor trying to get the Hulk to change back to Banner with "The sun's getting mighty low..." Why would we assume it wouldn't work for Thor? As we saw, yeah, it was only Black Widow's bit. But it wasn't funny, it was very reasonable. The FIRST time. The subsequent dozen times Thor used it was tedious.

That was how I felt about most of the humor in this movie. Some of it was good, some if it humanizes the characters and makes them more relatable - but good lord, too much is TOO MUCH. This film is rightly described as a comedy, and it shouldn't be. If 75% of the humor were removed, it would have improved this movie tons. 

I expected a Guardians cameo, although I wasn't disappointed that it wasn't there. TANGENT: Was that first post-credits scene Thanos' Ark spacecraft? That'd be kicking off the Infinity War a little early, but maybe that's how they're going to do it.

The second post-credits scene - entirely unnecessary, entirely unfunny, and it seemed to be there solely to show what a dick the Grandmaster could be... and the rest of the movie did that plenty good enough.

When I see the Executioner, I expect the Enchantress too. But then, this movie was loaded with red-shirt characters... she didn't need to be in it.

I rather missed Sif also. But again, she probably would have been just more spear fodder.

CONCLUSION: This is a great movie for those who only know Thor from the MCU. But Mr. Byrne, you don't want to see this. Your disappointment will be monumental. Waiting for it to come to cable will probably suffice, and it will still be somewhat uncomfortable.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security

Negative Mod

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Saw last night...thought it was great. A tough character to carry 3 solo
movies, and I thought this was a great move. A lot of stuff crammed
into 2 hours, and all enjoyable. Great performances. Blanchett as Hela
was genius casting. The Hulk CGI is unreal...just incredible stuff.
Gladiator scene...wow.

Question...why did Larry Lieber have such a prominent credit in this?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

He’s a co-creator of Thor along with Stan and Jack. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The substitution of a spaceship for the ship of the dead threw me off, and it didn’t occur to me until later how much was lifted from Thor #362. 

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

To those with better memories than mine....what scenes or frames in the movie were lifted directly from the pages of the comic?

The only one I can remember is when Thor throws the hammer far away and holds Loki in his grasp while the hammer returns.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 05 November 2017 at 1:32pm

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Slightly off, though. In the comics the hammer returned to Thor's other hand.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Matt Reed wrote:
So what's the right balance?

When it humanizes the characters and eases tension, I'm all for humor. When it undermines a dramatic moment that shouldn't be undermined, it's not appropriate.

Loki's face when the Hulk shows up - funny and appropriate. Pretty much any time Korg opened his mouth the last however many minutes of the movie - not so much.

Ragnarok doesn't hit the depths that Iron Man 3 did, but there were more than a few times in the final third where I was left thinking "can't you just let us have the moment?!"

Wish they could have found a way to squeeze Sif and Balder in (didn't have to be cannon fodder; a few shots in Heimdall's cave and in the big fight would've worked) and I would have preferred it if they had found a way to get the hammer back in at the end. Aside from that, I would have loved this one had they known when to quit with the humor. As it stands, I still liked it, but I'm also a little disappointed thinking of what could have been.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

...what scenes or frames in the movie were lifted directly from the pages of the comic?

The Executioner’s last stand, for sure. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Dr. Strange still wearing the gloves, made me happy.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |