Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Thor: Ragnarok SPOILERS start Pg 6 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I liked it quite a bit; definitely more than I expected.  Glad I'm not the only one who saw echoes of FLASH GORDON (not a complaint).  As others said, I was thrilled to see characters having fun instead of everyone moping around.  This movie really felt like comic book plot, which was a refreshing change.  I would see it again in the theater.  I can't remember the last time that was true of a DC or Marvel film.
Back to Top profile | search

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My wife and I saw THOR Tuesday night (Tuesday is when most of the theaters in our area offer the discount tickets for the whole night.) We were supposed to meet friends for the 6:15 show, and because we got there a little earlier than we thought, we were able to get tickets for the 6:15 show. 
However, our friends ran a little later than us and the 6:15 sold out by then (they had to wait for the later show), so the movie is still drawing crowds after the first weekend.
According to FORBES, THOR Ragnarok crossed the $ 500M mark:

Greg Nyman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Thor Ragnarok Production Design

It's disappointing to hear the production designer say he was initially unfamiliar with Jack Kirby, but it was nice to see he really embraced bringing a Kirby aesthetic to Sakaar.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Jim Petersman wrote:
(I've never laughed so hard at anything in a movie as Banner hitting the bridge, though.)

Meanwhile, I'm going through the whole build up thinking "please don't have him faceplant on the bridge please don't have him faceplant on the bridge please don't have him - Damn it." Different strokes, I guess.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Thinking about it:
Explosions of green powder around the arena on Sakaar, just a detail, or, did the filmmakers, knowing their reveal would be in the previews, decide to get the crowd in the theaters amped up for the same reason as the crowd in the stadium: because they know what's coming?

(The scavengers on Sakaar decide Thor is food when he says he is "just passing through." The same with the valkyrie when the threatens to go through them. The most subtle toilet humor ever?)

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It's disappointing to hear the production designer say he was initially unfamiliar with Jack Kirby, but it was nice to see he really embraced bringing a Kirby aesthetic to Sakaar.

I got the impression that he and his fellow designers were aware of Kirby as an artist but never thought about his influence on design until they were confronted with the task of creating a 'Kirby world', so to speak.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 1:02am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Saw it with the family.  We all had a great time.  Loved the Mark Mothersbaugh score.  The reports of dominating humor are overblown.  This evoked the comics more than almost any other MCU film, both in content and in tone. 

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 4:54am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I saw it a few days ago. All in all I liked it. Some jokes were a bit too much but it wasn't "all jokes" either. They are still doing a good job with the Thor/Loki relationship. The non-traditional happy ending was also a nice touch. Still, I am very disappointed with the Valkyrie casting (I'll just say she is a Valkyrie but not THE Valkyrie). A bit sad to see Idris Elba returning (he who publicly declared how he did not like these movies).

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The movie kinda made the point that it was A Valkyrie and not THE Valkyrie. 

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Kinda... Although I had the impression that THE Valkyrie get killed.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Saw it this weekend with family. She liked the humor (groan), I liked how Hela was absolutely the actual comics character (and she wore the Kirby headdress for much longer than I was expecting throughout the movie). Loved the anime-inspired fight between Thor and Hela on the rainbow bridge, that was all-out nuts - the way a comic book fight should be depicted on-screen. And the look on Hela's face when she stopped Thor's hammer with her hand just screamed "John Byrne" to me.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I wonder if there will be as much cultural diversity in Wakanda as there is in Asgard?

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2017 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Why would you question that? You know the answer. Wakanda is an  isolationist African nation that was never colonized by foreign powers.  Few non-Africans have ever set foot there or know of its existence. What's the point of the snarky question?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2017 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I had the impression that THE Valkyrie get killed.

Definitely the way I saw it. Felt like a missed opportunity. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2017 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

The blond Valkyrie killed by Hela is speculated to be 'The' Valkyrie.  And she was also supposed to be Nu-Valkyrie's lover....which is what sent her into drunken exile on Sakaar.  That aspect of the story was written out.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2017 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

That didn't seemed "written out" to me. Just not elaborated upon.
I got her story from what she begrudgingly let out and the visuals.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2017 at 1:08am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Articles I have read state that her same sex relationship was supposed to be dealt with deeper than what was presented in the movie.  A scene was literally cut out from the final print.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2017 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I see.

Well I still got the gist of her story without the "explicit" scene that was cut.

Thanks David.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2017 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I liked it, but my only criticism was I felt the Hulk was more like Disney's Goofy, continuing to make the character more of a parody than the pastiche I'd want him to be.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2017 at 4:13am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The way Thor used Mjolnir in Ragnarok was the best, most imaginative yet.  His clash with Surtur and his hordes in the early part of the movie was thrilling.  Spinning and slinging the hammer about the way he did was very cool.  And I LOVE it when he uses the hammer as the ultimate paperweight and locks down something with it.  Thor dropping it in the dragon’s mouth was brilliant.   

I like the radical change given to Thor for this occasion.  But I want the hammer back in his hands sooner rather than later.  I know Thor isn’t the “God of Hammers” (thanks, Odin), but he isn’t the best “God Of Thunder“ without it.

And with that being said, it looks like Thor was about to kick Hulk’s ass in the arena....

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2017 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Finally saw this on Saturday. It was fun. It wasn't as great as I was hoping it would be, but I enjoyed it. Of course, every time the Hulk is on screen, he steals the show. (Especially sans pants.) And he was very much the Hulk I remember from the early '80s.

The final exchange of words between Thor and the Hulk did make me laugh:

Thor: Hulk! For once in your life, don't smash!
Hulk:...but big monster...<looks disappointed>

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2017 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Any ideas on what Loki did with the Cosmic Cube/Tesseract?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2017 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I assume he pocketed it, and that’s why Thanos intercepted the Asgardian ship. 

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2017 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/thor-ragnarok-s hip-end-of-credits-thanos-infinity-stones-gauntlet-tesseract -loki-jeff-goldblum

Edited by Sam Houston on 28 November 2017 at 3:27pm

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2017 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Two bits of Marvel-style storytelling I appreciated:

The cut from "The Revolution has begun!" to the revolution being so far along Grandmaster was fleeing his headquarters brings to mind what we say about a thousand classic comic stories: today's decompressed comics would have squeezed a six issue mini-series out of what happened between those two frames. It was a classic Marvel time cut.

The other was when Hela launched into the catacombs under the throne room with a quadruple back-flip. It reminded me of the way Stan encouraged exaggerated physical action in HOW TO DRAW COMICS THE MARVEL WAY, as well as JB's anecdote about drawing Hawkeye training in WEST COAST ADVENTURES #42:

QUOTE:
Bit of trivia about that scene, and the machine. When I first laid out the page, I had Hawkeye standing in a traditional archery position. Then I thought "No, this is MARVEL!" So I erased those panels and redrew him on that whirly-gig.

Hela did back-flips 'cause this is MARVEL!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |