Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Stephen King’s IT (2017) Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2017 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm not a big horror fan, being really more of a "monster" fan in the Universal classic monsters sense. Modern horror, by and large, is not my cup of tea. That said, though, the trailer was interesting enough, and the good reviews have me interested in possibly checking this out.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The IMDb has a listing of 40 King films from worst to best. It's fascinating to see how hard they start struggling as they approach the "best" end of the list, trying to find something good to say. King has not been served well by adaptations -- even when he was in charge!
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

King has not been served well by adaptations -- even when he was in charge!

I have felt the same. I mean, I thought the 90s THE STAND (has that been adapted since?) was very mediocre. I didn't enjoy the likes of THE TOMMYKNOCKERS. It's been very hit and miss for me. 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm doing a list of favorite King movies for Halloween and, yeah, the early entries are a little rough, even counting something like 'The Mangler' as a 'guilty pleasure.'

It's all been downhill since 'Carrie!'

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I don't know that I would go as far as saying it's all been downhill since "Carrie." I would guess it depends if we are discussing good films as opposed to good adaptations. "Stand by Me", "The Green Mile", "The Shawshank Redemption", and "The Shining" have all been popular, and mostly critically successful films.

In strictly the horror genre, admittedly,  the films have not been so good.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Success ruined Stephen King films. At first there were adaptions by Brian DePalma! George Romero! Stanley Kubrick! David Cronenberg! John Carpenter! Exciting, original directors, whose liberties with the material, may fail the fidelity test for those whom would apply it (such as ultimately King himself), but I thought their adaptations were consistently better than the books (aside from CREEPSHOW -- the Wrightson comic rocks), and Kubrick and De Palma's films stand with the best of their careers. 

Since King achieve the clout for director approval, most of the directors have run the gamut from from semi-competent to workmanlike. Even the better-regarded adaptations by Rob Reiner and Frank Darabont are less works of art than of engineering. He might prefer Mick Garris's adaptation of THE SHINING to Kubrick's, and for good reason, but it's still a much, much, much worse movie by an indifferently talented director. King would rather an awful film than a faithless adaptation. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"I'm doing a list of favorite King movies for Halloween and, yeah, the early entries are a little rough...

...It's all been downhill since 'Carrie!'"

David Miller beat me to it... I think it's the exact opposite:  Those first few entries are arguably some of the best of bunch... CARRIE, the SALEM'S LOT miniseries, THE SHINING, CREEPSHOW, THE DEAD ZONE, CHRISTINE... you could argue that "it's all been downhill" since CUJO.

With the later exceptions of STAND BY ME, MISERY and THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, most other King film or TV versions have been piss-poor, forgettable or non-essential.

(And I'll state for the record:  I think THE GREEN MILE is a bunch of crap.)

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

King has not been served well by adaptations -- even when he was in charge!
--------------------------------------------------
The only two that I think are really great, and rewatch quite a bit, are Dead Zone and Pet Sematary.  Especially Dead Zone.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

What the fuck?!

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I hate clowns. The positive reviews have me curious. But I hate clowns. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2017 at 12:29am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

King has had some great adaptations. However,  the tv adaptations except for IT, The Stand (I disagree with Robbie about it being very mediocre) and `Salem's Lot mini-series were awful. To me, though, IT escapes the garbage pile only due to the cast. My favorite Tim Curry role, with CLUE being second. (I'm not a ROCKY HORROR fan. I've only seen that movie all the way through once.....after at least four attempts to watch it.)

My favorite Stephen King movies are (in no particular order): PET SEMETARY, MISERY, CARRIE, THE SHINING, CREEPSHOW and THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION. The last being my favorite of the bunch.

(I try to catch SHAWSHANK whenever it airs on cable. If I owned it on DVD or Blu-Ray, I'd wear it out.)

(Creepshow II is good, but I prefer to forget there's a second PET SEMETARY.)

Heidi actually wants to go see IT, but I'm not sure we'll go. I know her son Riley probably won't, as he's got a clown phobia. He's 16, and had to leave the room during part of the POLTERGEIST remake when we got it from Netflix. Surprisingly, the zombie clown in ZOMBIELAND didn't bother him at all.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 09 September 2017 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

CREEPSHOW failed for me because of a failure to capture the most basic premise of its supposed "inspiration". Those old EC horror comics had a pretty common theme: mean kid who pulls the legs of spiders becomes an astronaut, and lands on a world where giant spiders pull his legs off. (Not an actual story, just the "model",)

CREEPSHOW only gave us the second part, with horrible fates befalling people who really hadn't done anything other than being assholes. The Leslie Neilson "chapter" comes closest to the EC model, but lacks the pseudo O Henry element.

And what exactly had the character played by King himself done to deserve such a fate?

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 09 September 2017 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

What the fuck?!

LINK

Oh, well. At least they're not complaining that it's "cultural appropriation"!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2017 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Good article here:

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

IT succeeded on every level for me. That is horror done right.

There were several times during the movie that I did my glance at the side of the screen and view the scary thing peripherally tactic. Viewed head on, some of the horrors would have had me walking around the house in a constant state of edgy "What was that?!" for weeks. I take that shit home with me.  

Great movie. Can't wait for a sequel (and I have my fingers crossed that they meet the incredibly high standard they've set with this one).  

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Oh my god:

Edited by Robbie Parry on 10 September 2017 at 12:40pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I've been on these boards long enough to know that if Ronald Joseph says a particular horror movie is great, then I take notice!

Good news to hear, Ron... and I'm catching this on Tuesday night.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I've been on these boards long enough to know that if Ronald Joseph says a particular horror movie is great, then I take notice!

Good news to hear, Ron... and I'm catching this on Tuesday night.

Wow, really?! Thanks, man. I certainly hope you enjoy it! 

I'm trying hard to remember the last time a horror movie actually scared me. Coming up with nothing at the moment...   

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Just one of those things I've picked-up on the Forum over the years, Ronald... it seems like you and I generally have the same taste in horror movies!

I can't say I necessarily love the horror movie genre wholeheartedly... most of time, I feel like 95% of what's out there is junk.  But when a particular horror movie is well-made and works like gangbusters, there's nothing like it, as far as I'm concerned.

So far in the 2010's, I can literally count on one hand the ones I think have worked the best and have really given me the heebie-jeebies:  THE WOMAN IN BLACK, THE CONJURING, THE BABADOOK, IT FOLLOWS, and THE CONJURING 2.  And really, of those so far, only the CONJURING films are the ones I think that are truly stellar (there's a lot to love in the others, but they fall short of being great films).

So, very much looking forward to being creeped-out by the new Pennywise, in a proper film version that I've been waiting for since I was about 15 years old (when I first read the novel in '87)!

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2017 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Ugh - I confused my own statement.  When I said the 'early entries are a little rough' regarding my King countdown for the year, I meant making a list of 31 movies, that the movies at the bottom of the list (#31 and so forth,) are the rough choices because there really aren't 31 good adaptations of King's work, NOT that King's earlier adaptations were weaker, which is clearly not the case.  

I also saw "It" and enjoyed it quite a bit.  This version gets that there's more to "It" than an evil clown and while the clown scenes are effective, it all works because the sad story about the kids who are seemingly abandoned to fight this monster by themselves is told with just enough humor and poignancy.  

Edited by John Popa on 11 September 2017 at 6:45am

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2017 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

THE WOMAN IN BLACK, THE CONJURING, THE BABADOOK, IT FOLLOWS, and THE CONJURING 2.  

Ah yeah, good picks. The Babadook had some disturbing moments, for sure. 

Minus the cheap CGI monster/scream scares near the end, The Woman In Black definitely hit a lot of my fear buttons. The atmosphere in that house alone did the trick. Only to be followed up with a horrible sequel.  

It Follows a great example of less is more. Loved it.

Going back a bit further, JU-ON was pretty terrifying for me. 

And I remember being very disturbed by some of the things in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (an odd choice, I'm sure, but there was just something about that movie that I found very unnerving). 

If a movie maker can bring me back to childhood and have me wanting to hide my eyes or look away, I consider it a triumph. 

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2017 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I saw this on Saturday and enjoyed it. I have never read the book, but I did see the TV series when it came out. This more modern take on the book is a much better production and leaves the door open for a second film which I seems inevitable with the reviews and box office receipts. The scares for me were predicable, but lots of people in the theater were jumping out of their seats. I have some questions about certain aspects of the film, but perhaps those are answered in the book.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2017 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Saw IT today.

My goodness, how effective the horror is. There were some genuinely chilling moments. And the way Pennywise moved added to the horror: his posture, body language and so much else made him a very effective character.

I thought they fleshed the kids out very well. Kudos to all the performances.

I feel this is a rare example of CGI serving a film, not a plot serving CGI. And although Pennywise probably had more screentime than Tim Curry's Pennywise, it was still a case of using him effectively without overdoing it all.

Definitely one of the best films I've seen all year.

(For UK folk, I saw this at the VUE. Bit pricier than other cinema chains, but very comfortable seating and excellent customer service: the ticket seller told me of an app that can give me discounted prices if I attend on a Monday. I think VUE will be my cinema of choice from now on).

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2017 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Another great review from someone I trust... good to know, Robbie!  :)

Don't know why it only really dawned on me tonight, but my eldest of two sisters and I (along with millions of other King fans) have essentially been waiting 30 years to finally see this film version.

Could explain why the movie has been such a monster hit right out of the gate!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 11 September 2017 at 9:12pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Glad you trust my thoughts, Shaun. :)

I think word of mouth will always be the most effective marketing tool. You could not have paid me to see the 2015 FANTASTIC FOUR film. The footage/trailers didn't impress me, but everyone from comic fans to 'civilians' had nothing but negative words about it. So the power really is in our hands.

And it's used positively here. I've managed to convince three friends, one of whom doesn't like horror, to give it a go.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 12 September 2017 at 8:01am

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |