Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

:)
Back to Top profile | search

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

From her wardrobe patterns to the promotional posters and items--maybe in pink or neon, this female Doctor gimmick will make lots and lots of money.  It's possible the change will be as distinctive as psychic paper in the narrative. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

From her wardrobe patterns to the promotional posters and items--maybe in pink or neon, this female Doctor gimmick will make lots and lots of money.  It's possible the change will be as distinctive as psychic paper in the narrative.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Since the deed has been done and in the spirit of being positive. Let us hope that this proves to be more than just a gimmick.  Hopefully there will be some good stories attached to this new era. I'd also like it if the show is a bit more upbeat. 

Regardless of how it goes I'll be watching.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think I probably won't even bother with the Christmas special now. Good jumping off point. I wasn't happy with that they WERE doing and this is just more socking gimmick flail which is pretty much what led me to stop reading comics. Meh. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security

Negative Mod

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Should be an interesting challenge to the writers and to the actor.
Hopefully a great role model for young girls. On the flip, are there any
tv male role models now that don't use violence to resolve conflict?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think the idea of Time Lords gender swapping was dumb the first time it was suggested, and it's still dumb.  I will also note that even though I thought the idea of Missy was dumb, I did in the end appreciate Michelle Gomez' performance in the role. 

It's a lame gimmick, and I think it's completely valid to still blame Moffat for the gimmick because he's the one who essentially made it possible.  By now it shouldn't be surprise that Moffat can retcon anything.  60 years of precedent be damned.

I have a feeling that they are going to go the "Ghostbusters" route and no matter how crappy the product is, they will try to silence all critics by accusing them of being backwards sexist swine.  This seems like the last trick in the bag and the show may be done for good if it doesn't work.

Dumb dumb dumb, but then again most of nuWho has been dumb dumb dumb, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Here's a hypothetical:
Say they did a season 4 of 'TOS' without Shatner...but with Kirk. Just don't 'change back' at the end of 'Turnabout Intruder', come up with something to 'get rid of' Kirk's body,  and you have Sandra Smith playing Kirk going forward.
Now..justify why that idea isn't stupid...and how it's different from this.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

…backwards sexist swine.

••

If that's defined as someone who wants to see more strong, self-reliant female characters who are NOT copied from male characters, then PRESENT!

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Ghostbusters tried to build an audience on outraged people wanting to defy & punish the "sexist" evil rats who dared complain about an all female reboot. They pursued this via social media and it failed almost as completely as anything can. Sony messed the "let's show them!" marketing up (because the product looked awful in promotion and was at best pretty unremarkable in totality) and it flopped. Sony Pictures got a lot of bad PR and movie critics seemed to find the whole thing tasteless, disappointing, and manipulative with no real upside. The original cast damned it with faint praise and helped kick dust over the smoldering remains when it was announced the IP was on indefinite hiatus for lack of public interest and withdrawal of further support by angry financial backers.

I think BBC would find silence on the new Doctor deadly. It would be a 7th Doctor situation with two expensive years of losing momentum and hoping a Remembrance of the Daleks or Silver Nemesis or popped out maybe, only with less Lady Peinforte or three eyed bat goons.

It would mean the impact of this event is similar to a 4th or 5th new Batwoman #1 She's Still a Lesbian!" reboot, and people have already abandoned the show to "whatever". 

BBC needs people objecting and they need beloved celebrities telling those people to calm down and give her a chance but they need to be careful about it because telling people they'd better try your fucking ice cream or they should be in a gulag looks weak and delusional to most folks.

The problem for me is she's not the real issue. She's more of a symptom of squirrel chasing writers who just want to flail around with weird gimmicks and audience taunting instead of carefully write and perform a nice memorable story once a week 12-13 times a year that will build the brand and please the fans in a consistent sustainable way. I doubt that most of the fans aren't going to want to jump through a series of weird hoops like weird casting choices & forced radical paradigm shifts.

The last season of Sherlock was a tiresome pointless atrocity and this feels like it is coming from that "gotcher nose!" direction despite the new writers & show runner coming on board. 

At this point I wonder if Dr Who won't end up on Netflix.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

BBC tweeted that Whittaker doesn't have a twitter account, which makes her smarter than 100% of the people on twitter. All the rape threats and dick pics neanderthals think they're sending her are going to fake accounts instead. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Again, I'm pretty much a WHO neophyte, but out of all the outlandish science-fiction stories going back at least 50 years, with a character who can (or must?) regenerate every few years, why is transforming into a woman such a big no-no, and outside the realm of possibility, in a genre where almost anything can happen?

Granted, it would take some mighty talented writers, producers & filmmakers to elevate this to more than just a "dumb, dumb, dumb/lame gimmick," so we'll just have to wait and see, but I guess I'm a little disappointed at some of the ABSOLUTELY NOT responses here to the very idea of a female Dr. Who.

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I'm totally cool with a woman as the next regeneration of the Doctor. I'm just let down that they've gone back to the under-40 set yet again for the relaunched series. I definitely prefer older actors as the Doctor, for a more classic feel, and found Capaldi to be very refreshing in this aspect.

For a long time, my ideal choice to be a woman Doctor was Julia Sawalha. (Best known to Americans for having been the daughter on "Absolutely Fabulous," but she's done a lot more in Britain since then.)

Had the series not been canceled in 1989, she would've been the next companion. And thus she was cast in the late-'90s comedy special, "Doctor Who: The Curse of the Fatal Death," written by Stephen Moffat, alongside Rowan Atkinson (and some other rapid regenerations) as the Doctor. The special also ended with the Doctor regenerating into a woman: Joanna Lumley, aka Patsy from Ab-Fab.

Oh well — maybe next time!

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I'm of two minds on this. I understand
that this is another gender swap for the
sake of being diverse. But, the other part
of me thinks, this is one of the few
characters where you can actually have
your diversity cake and eat it too.

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Stephen Churay:

QUOTE:
I'm of two minds on this. I understand 
that this is another gender swap for the 
sake of being diverse. But, the other part 
of me thinks, this is one of the few 
characters where you can actually have 
your diversity cake and eat it too.

Exactly! The Doctor could be Jodie Whittaker today, and Lenny Henry tomorrow. None of this would change the character's past, nor would it inherently rule out possibilities for the future. This is all very different on a creative level from any issues of race- or gender-swapping other characters in reboots or new adaptations.

And seeing how The Doctor is the sort of character with which "you can actually have your diversity cake and eat it, too," why not explore those creative opportunities?

Special bonus: Lenny Henry's excellent comedy sketch from 1985, as The Doctor. I would very much enjoy it if he ever got the role in the future — though by now, he'd be the oldest actor ever to take the role. (He is now 58.) But hey, why not?

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Everyone saying this is a gimmick must be privy to news about the series struggling which I haven't seen.  I thought the series was doing fine and didn't need stunts to draw attention to itself-- as if the announcement of the new actor, whoever it would have turned out to be, was advertised to occur right after the Wimbledon men's final for F's sake.  Seems the show is holding up just fine under the writers and producers it's had all along.

As for it being a male role: I think the Doctor is first and foremost an alien, and there should be plenty more we don't know about the character than what we do know.  Can we still get a surprise five decades in?  That's a strength of the show.  Hell, I was okay with the "half human" bit from McGann's outing since it didn't actually contradict anything that came before.

And if it's a gimmick, or PC-driven casting, lemme ask at what point, if 54 years isn't enough, could the role of an alien who TOTALLY TRANSFORMS THEMSELVES every so often have gone to a woman without the casting being suspect?

And finally: "Doctor Hottie", "Pink Sonic Screwdriver"...  Yeah, the sexism is strong in this thread.

Edited by Craig Bogart on 16 July 2017 at 8:13pm

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

The problem for me is she's not the real issue. She's more of a symptom of squirrel chasing writers who just want to flail around with weird gimmicks and audience taunting instead of carefully write and perform a nice memorable story once a week 12-13 times a year that will build the brand and please the fans in a consistent sustainable way. I doubt that most of the fans aren't going to want to jump through a series of weird hoops like weird casting choices & forced radical paradigm shifts.

Totally agree here, Emery.

The art of writing good television has been subverted by attention-getting gimmicks, soap opera-like string alongs, and last minute deus ex machina resolutions.  It's the television manifestation of "Universe Changing Event! All new, all different direction -- with new #1 issues" that's killing off the comic book industry.

IMO, Doctor Who needs to be forcibly yanked off stage with a cane and allowed to simmer for another decade and a half -- again!  

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

And finally: "Doctor Hottie",
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have in the past referred to John Barrowman, David Tennant and Peter Davison as hotties. Or some variation of that. So it's not sexism if I refer to Jodie Whittaker as a Hottie. 

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 8:53pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I concede your point, Anthony, but I'm nonplussed about the Peter Davison part.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I concede your point, Anthony, but I'm nonplussed about the Peter Davison part.
`````````````````````
I first made the comment about Davison being attractive when he was younger when David Tennant first became the Doctor. At first I said that Tennant was too pretty to be the Doctor. But than I remembered that Peter Davison was rather dashing when he was a young man.

Also I made that point again earlier today on Facebook when someone wrote that Whittaker was too pretty where as all the other Doctors were plain looking. 

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I was joking!  Not being the best judge of these things, he just seems a bit mild to be labelled a "hottie".

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 9:18pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I was joking! 
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````
It went right over my head ;)
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````

Not being the best judge of these things, he just seems a bit mild to be labelled a "hottie".
`````````````````````````````````````````
Compared to some of the other Doctors He was an absolute Adonis ;)
`````````````````````
I need to watch more of his episodes. Interestingly enough I had the same problem with him as the Doctor as I initially did with David Tennant. I thought that Tennant was too good looking to play the Doctor. I felt the Doctor should be awkward looking and a bit geeky in some manner. In his first episode Christmas Invasion. I was so disappointed that he was cast. That is until the end of the episode when he fought the Sycorax commander. He completely won me over.

Davison hasn't won me over yet. 

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Say they did a season 4 of 'TOS' without Shatner...but with Kirk. Just don't 'change back' at the end of 'Turnabout Intruder', come up with something to 'get rid of' Kirk's body,  and you have Sandra Smith playing Kirk going forward.

That sounds awesome.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 11:44pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Oh, I totally think this is a gimmick
feeding the current wave of diversity love
that's going through entertainment. Some
of it makes me pull my hair out, many
times,I know it's needed. But, I can see
where it is becoming almost a sin to be
both white and male.

I don't think the Kirk analogy applies in
this case. For that show, Shatner was
Kirk. In this case, every three seasons or
so, the doctor is someone new. Why not a
woman. Now, if this becomes a diversity
rabbit hole, where they cast everything
except a straight white male, then it
becomes time to call bullshit.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2017 at 1:48am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I must admit I'm surprised by the number of Science Fiction fans who can't seem to cope with the idea that an alien being from another world might change gender, especially an alien being who has changed appearance many times over the years. It's a pity this didn't happen a long time ago so that a female regeneration wouldn't even be an issue now. In the time I have been watching there have been two Doctors I really couldn't stand, but it had nothing to do with what was in their pants. When the show returns next year I'll be judging it on the merits of the lead character's acting and the quality of the scripts.

PS The first female Doctor is a bold step, but the second female Doctor will be even bolder, and I hope whoever is producing the show in the future will have the guts to take it.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |