Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Outdoing Themselves Again (Spoilers) Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 1  

WTF?
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 2  

They were, at one time, considering a "reveal" that Alfred had molested Bruce as a child.

It wouldn't surprise me that some current or future fan turned pro will actually write such a stupid story and DC will publish it.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'm pretty sure Warren Ellis is responsible for the freaking god awful term "floppies." I always hated it too. Graphic novels, floppies.. It's like they're ashamed to call them comics. At least graphic novel fits if, it's, you know, an original story that's quite lengthy like a novel. But graphic novel seems to be a blanket term for any comic collections even reprints. Either way, it's all just comic books

And Captain America was always evil and the nazis won World War 2? The latter idea wasn't even original when Philip K Dick wrote the Man in High Tower, but at least I can get behind a good alternate timeline story. But in this it seems like they are trying to make everything that's ever been published an alternate timeline and their fan fiction as the real thing. Kind of like when Spider-Man had always been a clone. Boy, that story worked out so well for Marvel, didn't it?

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 4  

So Marvel has started rolling out art for their next "event" after this one called legacy:

http://www.newsarama.com/images/i/000/196/768/original/Marve l_Legacy_Joe_Quesada.jpg

Apparently they are bringing a lot of their characters back to their regular status quo after all of the backlash they got replacing so many of them. That is definately a good thing, but it's funny to me that classic Captain America is front and center in every promotional material. It's like they are making absolutely zero attempt to try and sell the event that's coming out right now as legit. I mean we all know it isn't, but 3 days has to be some kind of record. 

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 9:53pm | IP Logged | 5  

A comic book reviewer I know was talking a bit about "Legacy" and said they wanted to get more of the Marvel characters back to their roots, to their "legacy".  You know, like Totally Awesome Hulk.

Confused, I asked him how Amadeus Cho as the Hulk's alter ego was a legacy character?  He then got confused and said:  "Well, it's the green Hulk, a legacy character."  

<sigh>
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2017 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 6  

Even though I have no faith in Marvel actually making me interested again, I was equally cynical about Rebirth last year. I enjoy the DC books that I'm reading these days so there's a chance I may buy something from Marvel again (I actually liked X-Men Gold #1).

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2017 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 7  

With Marvel and DC I've so much to say... groan, sigh, sob.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2017 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 8  

I think that the main thing that so many writers don't remember is that comic books are science fiction, as defined by Robert A. Heinlein; the writer takes one element and changes it, and shows the results of that change as it affects society.

Obviously that isn't a stringent description of comics, but it is pretty suitable to they way they should be, I think; society and the real world as they are, and how a mystery man - one with powers, one with magic, one with trained skills far beyond those of the majority of humanity - would interact with that reality.

Naturally, that adapts as time passes and they interact with each other, and questions about origins may require subtle changes to reality (e.g., a wizard named Shazam or Khufu in early Egypt). But for the most part, I think it works best by not futzing with reality too much.

"The Nazis won World War II" changes that reality BEFORE the idea of super heroes changes it; and thus, the entire concept is gone to hell. It demonstrates why real world roadmarker events should not interfere with a comic book story (e.g., who landed on the moon first, why didn't super heroes win the war [you pick the war], why haven Reed Richards or Tony Stark or Will Magnus released societal changing technology, etc.)

That's why stories such as JFK being a mutant, or the Justice Society saving FDR from a bunch of battle crazed valkyries, etc. feels too much a violation of a starting point for episodic heroic fantasy - in this case,  comics.

And of course, doing it now when comics are not exactly the highest revenue, most popular form of entertainment by several magnitudes seems to hurt them more than help them.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2017 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 9  

Not all comic books are science fiction. 

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2017 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 10  

I agree with you in principle Eric, but that ship kinda departed a long time ago with characters like Apocalypse messing with things thousands of years in the past. 

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 April 2017 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 11  

Not all comic books are science fiction.

•••

Probably why Eric said this is not a stringent description.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2017 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 12  

The connection to real world events varies from character to character. Captain America is/was very rooted to real world events. Batman and Superman not so much, but at the same time they did dip their toes into current events in their nascent period. The JSA was heavily oriented towards WWII shorty before and after Pearl Harbor, but backed off for most of the war. Then near the wars' end they did a couple of WWII stories again.
The early 60s, especially at Marvel had a lot of Cold War connections 

Edited by Mike Norris on 23 April 2017 at 11:10am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |