Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 18
Topic: X-Men: Dark Phoenix - SPOILERS begin Pg 7 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"How can first quarter profits be way down with the way CAPTAIN MARVEL performed?"

Bizarre question, How can that not be down? First quarter comparative performance is by definition compared to the a similar release from the equivalent quarter. Which was the Black Panther. Which did much better than Captain Marvel.

So where's the confusion?
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Both films cleared over a billion dollars, Black Panther reaching the 1.346 billion dollar mark and Captain Marvel behind it at 1.128 billion, Marvel's eighth highest grossing film and hardly a box office disappointment. It far exceeded its projected expectations and performed well throughout its run. Whatever Marvel's first quarter earning problems may have been, Captain Marvel was not one of them.

Yes, you can say earnings were down, but no one expected Captain Marvel or any of the other films out at that time to beat Black Panther. X-Men: Dark Phoenix, conversely, performed far below expectations and thus created problems with the bottom line. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 11:39pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Just read online that DARK PHOENIX exits theatres this week/end with domestic/international receipts totaling in at about 259 million dollars.

When I read that I snickered at the thought that in today's world, a a movie making over a quarter of a billion dollars is a MAJOR flop!  That was until I got further down in the article and saw the damn thing had a production budget of 200 MILLION!  

-----

Also keep in mind that the Domestic Box office for DARK PHOENIX was only $65 million. The studios get a bigger cut of domestic, so even a bigger international box office often can't make up for a poor domestic showing.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 1:48am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Exactly.  Those dollars are not the same.  A $65 mil domestic return against a $200 mil budget (not including marketing which in this day and age for this kind of film surely topped $100 mil) makes DARK PHOENIX a massive bomb.  

Most tentpole films now are going to clear more internationally than domestically.  AVENGERS: ENGAME made more than double internationally what it did domestically.  The FAST AND FURIOUS franchise lives because of its international take.  That DARK PHOENIX came up more than $100 mil worldwide shy of just the international take of X-MEN: APOCALYPSE just three years prior means the franchise is in serious decline.  All told, DARK PHOENIX is a film Disney wants to forget.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2019 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

HONEST TRAILER for X-Men: Dark Phoenix... and I keep my fingers crossed that Disney/Marvel makes a better franchise.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 September 2019 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Uhm... what’s that line about “they made books out of all these movies”? These guys DO realize the comics came FIRST, right?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2019 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think that was meant sarcastically (in that there are some people who probably think that way). I certainly hope so, in any event.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 20 September 2019 at 2:29pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 21 September 2019 at 12:27am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Yes. Knowing Honest Trailers, it was a slam.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 18
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |